The Student Room Group

Too 'ill' to do my A Levels?

Ok, basically I'm doing my AS levels and my exams start in less than 4 weeks. I've recently been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and an eating disorder after suffering for years. I'm in a really awful place at the moment. My eating disorder takes over my life and I'm constantly weak and tired and worried about my weight. Depression drains my energy even more and makes me not care about anything and want to die. Anxiety is horrible, I'm always having panic attacks. The waiting list for treatment is super long so I'm just getting worse and worse.
Stress from college has a really bad effect on me and just makes everything so much worse. The closer exams get, the more, I quite literally, want to jump off a cliff. I want to prioritise health, happiness and recovery but with so much work I just can't. As for the work, I can't focus, I have no passion or motivation and I don't even know what I want to do career wise anymore. I'm terrified of failing or not getting the grades for a degree or being left behind everyone else. I just don't know what to do, I can't revise or concentrate no matter how hard I try.
Sorry for the confusing babble, I sound like a spoilt child. I guess any advice would be appreciated. Btw I study double health and social care and psychology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stressedasf
Ok, basically I'm doing my AS levels and my exams start in less than 4 weeks. I've recently been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and an eating disorder after suffering for years. I'm in a really awful place at the moment. My eating disorder takes over my life and I'm constantly weak and tired and worried about my weight. Depression drains my energy even more and makes me not care about anything and want to die. Anxiety is horrible, I'm always having panic attacks. The waiting list for treatment is super long so I'm just getting worse and worse.
Stress from college has a really bad effect on me and just makes everything so much worse. The closer exams get, the more, I quite literally, want to jump off a cliff. I want to prioritise health, happiness and recovery but with so much work I just can't. As for the work, I can't focus, I have no passion or motivation and I don't even know what I want to do career wise anymore. I'm terrified of failing or not getting the grades for a degree or being left behind everyone else. I just don't know what to do, I can't revise or concentrate no matter how hard I try.
Sorry for the confusing babble, I sound like a spoilt child. I guess any advice would be appreciated. Btw I study double health and social care and psychology.

Can you get extenuating circumstances?
Reply 2
Original post by stressedasf

Hey :smile: I am so sorry you are going through a time like this.. I honestly don't know what to say but I ask of you to not give up. No matter how hard it gets, please don't ever give up. Pray to God, and be in constant remembrance of him and I'm sure he'll guide you. Stay strong.

Loads of love.
I got through my A Levels with severe depression and anxiety, did quite well, so it's not impossible. The eating disorder could get you extenuating circumstances, but it's not likely.
i am so sorry to hear of the bad time you're going through at the moment! Obviously, an education and good grades are important, but not worth it if it will have awful effects on your health! therefore, it's essential you prioritise getting yourself better, a levels can always be resat etc if you don't do as well as you hoped! also if you get a letter from your doctor and give it to your school i'm sure you will be given special consideration, which will add a % on to your marks! good luck, PM me if you need a chat! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Incubator
Can you get extenuating circumstances?

If you mean special consideration it's not really going to make a big enough dfference. It makes a maximum of 5% difference to the exams you take. You can only claim marks for exams you are incapable of sitting if you have taken 50% of the assessment (e.g. the other exam out of 2).
Original post by Compost
If you mean special consideration it's not really going to make a big enough dfference. It makes a maximum of 5% difference to the exams you take. You can only claim marks for exams you are incapable of sitting if you have taken 50% of the assessment (e.g. the other exam out of 2).

PRSOM. Came here to post that. Can't be said often enough.
It entirely depends on your college, but disgustingly a lot of institutions aren't so understanding of mental health. Try talking to a tutor that you find it easy to talk to about getting extenuating circumstances. They definitely SHOULD give it you, but you might need a note from your GP.

If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to inbox me:hugs:
Original post by KittyAnneR
It entirely depends on your college, but disgustingly a lot of institutions aren't so understanding of mental health. Try talking to a tutor that you find it easy to talk to about getting extenuating circumstances. They definitely SHOULD give it you, but you might need a note from your GP.

If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to inbox me:hugs:

As said above, it's really insignificant. I was in a similar position in year 13 so ended up taking a year out.
Original post by keromedic
As said above, it's really insignificant. I was in a similar position in year 13 so ended up taking a year out.

I got an extension and it made a massive difference.
Original post by Shamla
Hey :smile: I am so sorry you are going through a time like this.. I honestly don't know what to say but I ask of you to not give up. No matter how hard it gets, please don't ever give up. Pray to God, and be in constant remembrance of him and I'm sure he'll guide you. Stay strong.

Loads of love.

prsom

Quick Reply

Latest