The Student Room Group

What is the minimum amount of student loan you can get?

Student Finance have sent me a letter saying what they'll give me next year but it differs from what the Student Finance calculator says I should be getting this year. Do they send me another amount after they've assessed my household income (definitely eligible for more student loan than the very minimum) or should I get in touch (again) to see why they've only granted me the minimum amount?
Reply 1
Is next year your final year? You will get less in your final year as your SF will stop in June rather than funding you through the summer.

The minimum Maintenance Loan is currently £3731 per year for those with a high household income or non-income assessed.
Original post by weevilface
Student Finance have sent me a letter saying what they'll give me next year but it differs from what the Student Finance calculator says I should be getting this year. Do they send me another amount after they've assessed my household income (definitely eligible for more student loan than the very minimum) or should I get in touch (again) to see why they've only granted me the minimum amount?

As Klixx88 says, you do get less in your final year, as you aren't funded for the summer holidays. You're expected to start supporting yourself from the end of your exams, not from when you graduate.

That said, if you think a mistake has been made, you should contact SFE as soon as possible and ask them to explain the situation.

If you've had a letter from them, look at the payment dates on it- if the summer one is much lower, then the amount is probably correct. If all seem much lower than last year, it's probably a mistake.

Obviously the minimum amount you can get is £0 though :tongue:
If your doing an NHS course the minimum is £2500ish
Reply 4
No it's going to be my first year, worked it all out on the phone but thanks! :smile:
What did you say when you called them up please ? I'm having the same exact problem
Reply 6
Original post by Jlecointe1
What did you say when you called them up please ? I'm having the same exact problem

Well I was worried that they'd counted my "total earned income" for 2014/15 which my mum had mistakenly included in the assessment for the tax year 2013/14 so I called them up and asked them whether they'd assessed that and then asked them not to.

They told me they hadn't assessed it and that it wasn't even on the system, but they must have made some kind of mistake because they sent me a second entitlement letter with the correct maintenance loan amount which was more the amount I expected. but they just didn't want to say that they'd done anything wrong, lol.

They were pretty helpful though, it's just a pain to get through all the security stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending