The Student Room Group

Gcse tips and stress

so I'm in that 'crucial' stage of my life among many others of you where exams are looming and I'm in stress mode. :frown: really want 9 a*'s and 1 a but that's the dream and I'm starting to accept that it may not be possible, my question is how many a*'s did you get and how did you get them and when did you start revising?!
(btw Im not trying to put you down if you didn't get any a*'s but I want to go into medicine!
any tips would be greatly appreciated!! )

Scroll to see replies

what grades are you currently on?
Original post by cloudk
so I'm in that 'crucial' stage of my life among many others of you where exams are looming and I'm in stress mode. :frown: really want 9 a*'s and 1 a but that's the dream and I'm starting to accept that it may not be possible, my question is how many a*'s did you get and how did you get them and when did you start revising?!
(btw Im not trying to put you down if you didn't get any a*'s but I want to go into medicine!
any tips would be greatly appreciated!! )

Its very difficult to give a generic answer to this question as everyone is different. I personally did very little revision and got 11 a* and an A but other people did months and got mixtures of a and b's. I would advise you to think about what you want to get (compared to what you're getting now) and plan your revision accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing GCSE's atm and ever since I was in year 7 I've really wanted to get A*'s in all my subjects. Now that it's really close to exams I am getting so stressed because I feel like anything lower would be a personal failure!! My brother is at Warwick atm and did quite poorly in his GCSE's which makes me less stressed I guess....Stay strong and get revising!
Reply 4
Original post by bunnyland
what grades are you currently on?

A's and a*'s but b's in English lit and lang, and french I'm most likely to get 6a* 4 a but I'm prioritising english and French so hopefully that will mean 9 a*😥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by samb1234
Its very difficult to give a generic answer to this question as everyone is different. I personally did very little revision and got 11 a* and an A but other people did months and got mixtures of a and b's. I would advise you to think about what you want to get (compared to what you're getting now) and plan your revision accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW your grades are amazing! Any tips that helped you get them grades? And when about did you properly start revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by fairlyemily
I'm doing GCSE's atm and ever since I was in year 7 I've really wanted to get A*'s in all my subjects. Now that it's really close to exams I am getting so stressed because I feel like anything lower would be a personal failure!! My brother is at Warwick atm and did quite poorly in his GCSE's which makes me less stressed I guess....Stay strong and get revising!

I'm just like you!! I guess we'll just have to stay strong ! Let me know how everything goes this year,if you want!☺️ good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Haha! My brother goes Warwick too and his GCSE results were not good as he wanted them to be. My brother motivates me because, he messed around a lot in school and got permanently excluded from his school. He went to another school but it was bad but he came out with 3A's, 3B's, a C and a BTEC but he still managed to go to Warwick. He learned from his mistakes and I should consider myself lucky and grateful that I go to a good school and I wanna make him proud by getting good results. Last year, in year 10, I got 5 A*-B grades and that's already better than his own grades he got and that motivates me.

Don't worry.Ignore the stress and try to do as much work as possible. You've still got time... :smile:

Watch this video for motivation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNGzUm0170
Original post by SL2310
Haha! My brother goes Warwick too and his GCSE results were not good as he wanted them to be. My brother motivates me because, he messed around a lot in school and got permanently excluded from his school. He went to another school but it was bad but he came out with 3A's, 3B's, a C and a BTEC but he still managed to go to Warwick. He learned from his mistakes and I should consider myself lucky and grateful that I go to a good school and I wanna make him proud by getting good results. Last year, in year 10, I got 5 A*-B grades and that's already better than his own grades he got and that motivates me.

Don't worry.Ignore the stress and try to do as much work as possible. You've still got time... :smile:

Watch this video for motivation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNGzUm0170

That video is amazing man, I won't act like a marshmallow I swear!
Original post by cloudk
WOW your grades are amazing! Any tips that helped you get them grades? And when about did you properly start revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I properly started about 2 weeks before exams. My main advice is to use your time wisely ie if you know that you are going to get an A* in maths for example don't waste time looking at it much until closer to your exam. Also look at your timetable, when half term is etc and plan accordingly. What subjects are you looking to bump up to an A/A* specifically and if I did them I'll give you some tips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I properly started about 2 weeks before exams. My main advice is to use your time wisely ie if you know that you are going to get an A* in maths for example don't waste time looking at it much until closer to your exam. Also look at your timetable, when half term is etc and plan accordingly. What subjects are you looking to bump up to an A/A* specifically and if I did them I'll give you some tips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking to bump up english language and english lit and French because in french im on a low a and English im on a B 😥 ps thankyou so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cloudk
I'm looking to bump up english language and english lit and French because in french im on a low a and English im on a B 😥 ps thankyou so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of those subjects are quite dependent on your CA marks so may not be possible dependent on them. For English language for the reading part pretty much all you can do is practice answering the type of questions they give you (and time it since that is one of the most time pressured exams you will have but maybe I just write too much). For the writing I personally was lazy and was able to guess what kind of writing tasks we would be asked based on past papers. If you want to be properly prepared, write or at least make some notes on each of the types you're required to know and what sort of things you'd use.

For English lit I assume you're on one of the boards that let you have the book in the exam (unless you did wjec like me). Its probably a good idea to learn or know where some key quotes for characters/themes are or learn them if you don't get the book. For the unseen poetry only thing you can really do is practice, the poems will sometimes be weird and if that happens you just have to write as much as you can (got a b in that exam hence why u only got an a). If you have to make stuff up that sounds vaguely plausible and if you can justify it it should still get some marks at least.

Didn't do French but for languages the key is looking at past papers in particular any topics that keep coming up e.g. in German there are always some people going on holiday so make sure you know vocab for the equivalent topics in French.

Let me know if you want any tips for any other subjects (with the exception of English I got an A* in every exam so should be able to help you get high ums if you want)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
A lot of those subjects are quite dependent on your CA marks so may not be possible dependent on them. For English language for the reading part pretty much all you can do is practice answering the type of questions they give you (and time it since that is one of the most time pressured exams you will have but maybe I just write too much). For the writing I personally was lazy and was able to guess what kind of writing tasks we would be asked based on past papers. If you want to be properly prepared, write or at least make some notes on each of the types you're required to know and what sort of things you'd use.

For English lit I assume you're on one of the boards that let you have the book in the exam (unless you did wjec like me). Its probably a good idea to learn or know where some key quotes for characters/themes are or learn them if you don't get the book. For the unseen poetry only thing you can really do is practice, the poems will sometimes be weird and if that happens you just have to write as much as you can (got a b in that exam hence why u only got an a). If you have to make stuff up that sounds vaguely plausible and if you can justify it it should still get some marks at least.

Didn't do French but for languages the key is looking at past papers in particular any topics that keep coming up e.g. in German there are always some people going on holiday so make sure you know vocab for the equivalent topics in French.

Let me know if you want any tips for any other subjects (with the exception of English I got an A* in every exam so should be able to help you get high ums if you want)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all this advice im on an a* for eng lit CA and cusp of an a* in language yes any advice for anything really! I take triple science
Art
History
French
Re
Eng lit
Eng Lang
Maths
Any advice on any of these would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

BROTHER!
Original post by Sam1B
BROTHER!

Haha what are you taking at as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cloudk
Thanks for all this advice im on an a* for eng lit CA and cusp of an a* in language yes any advice for anything really! I take triple science
Art
History
French
Re
Eng lit
Eng Lang
Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR re?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cloudk
Art
History
French
Re
Eng lit
Eng Lang
Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

For biology chemistry and physics just make sure you know what's in cgp and how to do the long answer questions (eg speciation, bonding types etc)

Art I haven't got a clue never been artistic at all.

History is mainly just ensuring you know the content well and then general essay writing practice (again very time pressured. Think I wrote 14 a4 sides in the 1hr 45 exam)

Maths in all honesty I did no revision at all but I would guess just do past papers as there is basically no content for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
For biology chemistry and physics just make sure you know what's in cgp and how to do the long answer questions (eg speciation, bonding types etc)

Art I haven't got a clue never been artistic at all.

History is mainly just ensuring you know the content well and then general essay writing practice (again very time pressured. Think I wrote 14 a4 sides in the 1hr 45 exam)

Maths in all honesty I did no revision at all but I would guess just do past papers as there is basically no content for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! By the way did you make notes or flash cards or just do past papers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cloudk
Thank you! By the way did you make notes or flash cards or just do past papers??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made notes but mainly I did past papers. Fortunately I have an extremely good memory so didn't need to spend a long time on content (I wouldn't advise doing what I did for some things like history where my revision consisted entirely if reading the text book the day before). The reason I made notes is my brain will remember pretty much anything I have written down and you can go into much more detail in notes than you can on flashcards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
That video is amazing man, I won't act like a marshmallow I swear!

Good! Good luck with your exams as well! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest