The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by moggis
Gubbed?

You mean banned I take it.

No, I mean gubbed.

If you were doing this as much as you claim to be.. surely you'd be familiar with that term :s
Reply 61
Original post by Reue
No, I mean gubbed.

If you were doing this as much as you claim to be.. surely you'd be familiar with that term :s

Er well I'm not.

I'm old you know.

I will look it up.
Reply 62
Gosh!!

On reading about gubbing I discovered that should a bookie believe you are using someone else's account to bet with they can and apparently likely will confiscate any winnings you have sitting in your own account!

I hadn't known this and it's given me a lot of food for thought.

Especially as I dont trust banks :frown:

Edit. Ha well I do trust banks of course but I don't trust myself not to be lax with my details etc
(edited 8 years ago)
@moggis I don't really have any further questions (until I actually start practicing what I preach/know lol), but erm, so with the long-term markets... What sort of time-period in the football profession counts as a "long-term" or ripe one? Has to be longer than 90 minutes sure, but what sort of range do you work within? Weeks, months, seasons, years :P?
@moggis I don't really have any further questions (until I actually start practicing what I preach/know lol), but erm, so with the long-term markets... What sort of time-period in the football profession counts as a "long-term" or ripe one? Has to be longer than 90 minutes sure, but what sort of range do you work within? Weeks, months, seasons, years :P? Also, after winning such large sums of cash (£200k +) in single bets, did the bookie end up banning you? For losing them so much money or something?
Reply 65
Long term means more than one game but in practise I will nearly always have to bet on the very last game of the season - usually a play off final.

I would never bet on anything that takes more than a year as I never assume I will be alive a year hence!

I do my first bets before the start of the season and continue throughout the season.

However that's not necessarily the best thing to do.

I won the £221,000 from Coral and I would have been very annoyed if they'd banned me since I agreed to appear in a national newspaper for them in order to prevent this.

Years later they restrict me and my last 2 bets with them were restricted to just £10 even though I only tried to get £50 on.

Paddy Power banned me from betting on accumulators as soon as I won the 200k but I seem to be able to get money on a single though not sure how much.

As for Ladbrokes,although I failed to get the million off them I did in fact land a £99,800 winner off them last season and made a profit from them as a result.

They dont ban people other than arbers and have been good enough to accommodate me this season although I get badly restricted online and have to phone up.

However,they have drastically changed their payout limits on the markets I got heavily involved in!

Two markets in particular have been cut to a £100,000 maximum payout.

There is one bookie that even though I took most of my profit from them last season and from whom I'm on course to take at least £250,000 this season ,continues to take everything I throw at them!!

I don't know why, but I'm seriously grateful and I will certainly be singing their praises if I get the million which I believe is about a 45% chance believe it or not.edit so long as I'm not banned by this bookie before February at least.

Ok .Gotta go as I need to do a few bets before tonight's games!

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by pereira325
@moggis I don't really have any further questions (until I actually start practicing what I preach/know lol), but erm, so with the long-term markets... What sort of time-period in the football profession counts as a "long-term" or ripe one? Has to be longer than 90 minutes sure, but what sort of range do you work within? Weeks, months, seasons, years :P? Also, after winning such large sums of cash (£200k +) in single bets, did the bookie end up banning you? For losing them so much money or something?

See post above.
I thought you don't bet on 90min games? You also had to bet Chelsea to win the league before the start on the season which is a loser before Xmas!
Reply 68
I don't bet on 90 minute games for any other reason than to hedge a big long term position usually at the end of the season.

Also there are occasions where a team I have a lot of money on long term is playing a 6 pointer and I might decide that betting on the other team in 90 minutes is advisable.

Yes I have a bit of money on Chelsea but I don't bet very much on the Premier league winner because there are usually better markets eg wout the big 6,top scorer and to be bottom, all of which I have v good positions on.

My main loser this season which was confirmed tonight was bloody Sheffield United who I just needed to be top 6 but are clearly absolutely useless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Long term means more than one game but in practise I will nearly always have to bet on the very last game of the season - usually a play off final.

I would never bet on anything that takes more than a year as I never assume I will be alive a year hence!

I do my first bets before the start of the season and continue throughout the season.

However that's not necessarily the best thing to do.

I won the £221,000 from Coral and I would have been very annoyed if they'd banned me since I agreed to appear in a national newspaper for them in order to prevent this.

Years later they restrict me and my last 2 bets with them were restricted to just £10 even though I only tried to get £50 on.

Paddy Power banned me from betting on accumulators as soon as I won the 200k but I seem to be able to get money on a single though not sure how much.

As for Ladbrokes,although I failed to get the million off them I did in fact land a £99,800 winner off them last season and made a profit from them as a result.

They dont ban people other than arbers and have been good enough to accommodate me this season although I get badly restricted online and have to phone up.

However,they have drastically changed their payout limits on the markets I got heavily involved in!

Two markets in particular have been cut to a £100,000 maximum payout.

There is one bookie that even though I took most of my profit from them last season and from whom I'm on course to take at least £250,000 this season ,continues to take everything I throw at them!!

I don't know why, but I'm seriously grateful and I will certainly be singing their praises if I get the million which I believe is about a 45% chance believe it or not.edit so long as I'm not banned by this bookie before February at least.

Ok .Gotta go as I need to do a few bets before tonight's games!

Cheers

What did you put on to win those amounts? Specifically.
Reply 70
£400 for the 221 k, £100 for the 257k ,£100 for the 200k

£100 or £200 for the 99. 8 k
Reply 71
£400 for the 221 k, £200 for the 200k ( think I previously said £100) ,£100 or £200 for the 99.8k and £100 for the £257,000

But I had 6 figures to bet with in total
(edited 8 years ago)
So you bet Celtic, Barca, Juve, Munich etc to win their leagues and QPR and 2 others to get relegated? Surely £100 wouldn't win anything near £200k, maybe £5k/£10k stake would
Reply 73
Original post by Lester Diamond
So you bet Celtic, Barca, Juve, Munich etc to win their leagues and QPR and 2 others to get relegated? Surely £100 wouldn't win anything near £200k, maybe £5k/£10k stake would

Well yes indeed.So my winning bets had different selections in them than the ones you have stated.

I don't like giving the actual selections of winning bets because it can be terribly misleading for someone to see the selections with no appreciation of why I picked them at that time and in the overall situation I found myself in at the time I placed the bet not only money wise ie the amount of my bank I had left but also psychologically ie how confident I was etc and also my overall assessment of how the season was likely to pan out etc.

Another reason is that I consider every bet I do to be one tiny part of a big puzzle and every other bet is just as important .

However I will find at least one of the bets and give the details a bit later.

Edit oh yes and also you do of course only really learn from losing bets anyway
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
Trying to find a 2 or 3 year old bet on Paddy Power on a tablet is a palaver* but the biggest selection on the £200,000 was Cardiff to be bottom at odds of 10-1.

Every other selection would have been around 6-4 roughly and 10-1 is a very unusually high price for me to include in an accumulator.

Ok here are the selections of the 257k but I don't want to name the bookie.

Arsenal top 4,Bournemouth to win Champs.,Sheff Utd top 6( ha! see last nights post) ,Shrews pro,Akinde top Conf scorer,Carpi to win Serie B,Ingolstadt to win Bundesliga 2,Meier to be top Bundesliga scorer.

I have a couple of things to say about that bet a bit later.

* though I discovered I had a balance I knew nothing about!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
The first thing to say about the £257 k bet is that the stake it turns out was actually £150.

But far more importantly the bookie actually paid me out £7000 more than they needed to!!

And not by accident you understand.

Yes that's right.Incredible isn't it? And it's not the only time that's happened.

Boylesports recently paid me out £111,000 on a bet that according to the letter of the rules they could have paid out just 100,000 not pounds but euros!

If anyone is still doubting that everything I say is true then I ask you to consider that.

I mean I really would never have thought that bookies would pay out more than they needed to unless it was for publicity purposes.But as far as I'm aware Boylesports,a small bookie,didn't even use my payout for advertising purposes.

Well unless they figured that I'm likely to be so pleased with them that I would be their best advertising?

Of course I would not blame anyone on here for inferring that the second most likely reason, or even the first ,is that they consider me to be such a mug that I'm bound to lose it all back to them........

Hmmmmm
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
UN*******BELIEVABLE!!!!

Believe it or not tryng to make a million in a season is rather tricky even if you have a big bank to play with.

For one thing you need a lot of markets with big limits that are easy to trade.

Year after year one of the easiest markets to make money from is the Champions League top scorer market.

But this season Messi's injury meant that Ronaldos price was ridiculously short and the situation was almost impossible for me to make much money from.

Until last night!

When brilliant Barca scored 6 and Lewandowski and Muller scored thus forcing Ronaldos price up to a juicy 15/8.

So I was just about to do some bets on this new Ronaldo price having spent a leisurely early afternoon ( it's a tough job but.....) reading the Racing Post,posting on here and reading a book when I find that the market is bloody well suspended because some ******* game has kicked off at 3-00 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3-PM on a Wednesday!!!

As I say ....it's not easy making a million.........

:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 77
Ok,a couple more things about the 257k win.

1) Anyone who follows football will know that Watford conceded a last gasp equaliser v Sheff Wednesday otherwise that bet wouldn't have won.

Yep,but incredibly the same thing happened 2 weeks earlier in the Bournemouth v Sheff Wednesday game.

Still,yes it was cutting it fine but the point is I was trying to win a record amount of money.

Had I been merely trying to make a living I'd have bet on Bournemouth just to be promoted for one thing.

Or even better I wouldn't have bet on the Championship at all since that league is usually the hardest to trade/ bet on.

2) By contrast Serie B and the Bundesliga 2 were two of the easiest markets to beat last season.

So easy in fact,that had they had a £1 million limit instead of £250,000, I would almost certainly have won a million!

Because I would have increased the stakes on this bet to win several 100k .

Then again,when Bournemouth conceded that last gasp penalty v Sheff Wednesday I may have had a heart attack.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Heres what I think and hope some of you may find to be a very interesting question.

Patrick Veitch got a first at Cambridge and went on to become one of Britains most succesful pro gamblers and wrote the book,

Enemy Number One

But he made what I believe is without doubt one of the stupidest decisions any serious gambler ever made.

What's worse is that he made the decision for what he( probably) thought was a smart reason but was really a stupid reason!!

Yes I mean that.

Just because someone has a first at Cambridge doesn't mean they can't be stupid.

No sir. ( Or so it would seem :smile: )

His decision almost certainly cost him at least £2 million and quite possibly as much as £4 million.

I'm totally serious.

He decided very early on to not bet on football.

And in his book he gives the reason why.

So your starter for ten is ,"What reason did he give for eschewing football as a means of making money from betting?"

For those of you who also have firsts at Oxbridge, I expect you to not only answer that correctly but also to explain why his reasoning was flawed :smile:

Cheers

(Not sure when I will give the answer)
(edited 8 years ago)
"Arsenal top 4,Bournemouth to win Champs.,Sheff Utd top 6( ha! see last nights post) ,Shrews pro,Akinde top Conf scorer,Carpi to win Serie B,Ingolstadt to win Bundesliga 2,Meier to be top Bundesliga scorer"

Patience is a virtue! I need to start thinking long term but I can't help wanting the wonga not now but right now :biggrin: , well done and don't forget to leave the weekend acca underneath ha

Latest