The Student Room Group

My Boyfriend threatens to hurt himself

My boyfriend threatens to hurt himself if I don't tell him things and I'm worried that if I ever wanted to end things (not that I do) it would take things much more strongly and make even bigger threats, as I know when he broke up with his ex-girlfriend he threatened to kill himself multiple times if they broke up. Please help, we've only officially been together 3 weeks now and I'm already worried. Thank you.
Hi

That sounds really scary. It must be so hard to hear him say this, especially after such a short time together.

However, it is not ok for him to say things like this to you. It is unfair and a form of emotional control to stop you from leaving you. Does he do or say anything else that makes you uncomfortable or worried?
Does anyone else know what he has been saying - are his family aware of this? It may be that he does need some mental health support, or it maybe that he is saying this to try to control you. Either way, it is not your fault. Even if he did try to hurt himself, that would still not be your fault or your responsibility.

I do feel you need to tell people about what has been happening as this is a big thing to try to deal with on your own.

take care
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending