The Student Room Group

Dropping out before exams - university.

I'm a second year student with exams coming up in May. I wanted to drop out since first year as I wasn't enjoying my course at all and even with attainment of a degree I wouldn't like the work I was doing. However, I carried on due to family pressure.

Now in second year, I've been scraping 2.2s in my coursework. After a lot of thought, I wish to drop out and work for a year or two and then redo my A-levels picking up science subjects and pursue medicine in my mid 20s. I knew I wanted to do this course for a while, but felt that it was impossible due to my a-levels being a mix of humanities and social sciences as well as family pressure on the very idea of confronting them with this news.

I've sometimes tried to bring up my distaste for my course, but my parents always try to persuade me that it's the right thing - never succeeding. My solution to this problem was going to be me telling my parents that if I got a 2.2 for second year I would drop out, telling them I had done my best and I just couldn't do it. Then pursuing the course I like.

However, I'm worried that if I fail when I apply to another university again and they have my record, it would reflect badly on me suggesting I'm not serious about studying. So I was curious as to whether dropping out now would be best?

Just to sum it up: I dislike my course, I want to know if dropping out would be seen in better light then failing.
Reply 1
Stop wasting your time and drop out. There is nothing wrong with it if you want to pursue your ambitions. The degree would be completely useless even if you managed to get a first class simply because there is no point to get a good degree and a well paying job if you're going to hate the work every day. A lot of stupid people think that all they need in life is a "good job" but life is not as basic as this. If you carried on you would get old one day and just realize all the stuff you never did and you would go into the office every day just not knowing what you're actually doing.

Just drop out and plan your future and time properly and hit the goals. You're still pretty young so don't get pressured by people your age continueing university.
You only have one life so use it for yourself.
Be aware sOme med schools will not consider those who have failed to complete a previous degree.
Original post by SnooFnoo
Be aware sOme med schools will not consider those who have failed to complete a previous degree.

This is a major concern. Wouldn't it be viewed differently if I actually drop out rather then take exams and fail?

Because I'm doing this to hopefully one day pursue a medical degree and if drop out and discover I can't, what was the point to it all?
Reply 4
If you explain that you dropped out to pursue a medical degree it's completely different than failing and then going for medicine.
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
This is a major concern. Wouldn't it be viewed differently if I actually drop out rather then take exams and fail? Because I'm doing this to hopefully one day pursue a medical degree and if drop out and discover I can't, what was the point to it all?

when I said failing to complete, I meant dropping out. Many med schools don't consider those who have dropped out of previous degrees. Best course of action is to gain a 2.1, get work experience, take the ukcat/Gamsat/bmat and pursue grad entry medicine.
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
I'm a second year student with exams coming up in May. I wanted to drop out since first year as I wasn't enjoying my course at all and even with attainment of a degree I wouldn't like the work I was doing. However, I carried on due to family pressure.Now in second year, I've been scraping 2.2s in my coursework. After a lot of thought, I wish to drop out and work for a year or two and then redo my A-levels picking up science subjects and pursue medicine in my mid 20s. I knew I wanted to do this course for a while, but felt that it was impossible due to my a-levels being a mix of humanities and social sciences as well as family pressure on the very idea of confronting them with this news.I've sometimes tried to bring up my distaste for my course, but my parents always try to persuade me that it's the right thing - never succeeding. My solution to this problem was going to be me telling my parents that if I got a 2.2 for second year I would drop out, telling them I had done my best and I just couldn't do it. Then pursuing the course I like.However, I'm worried that if I fail when I apply to another university again and they have my record, it would reflect badly on me suggesting I'm not serious about studying. So I was curious as to whether dropping out now would be best?Just to sum it up: I dislike my course, I want to know if dropping out would be seen in better light then failing.
Original post by SnooFnoo

They don't consider people who have failed a MEDICAL degree.

Quick Reply

Latest