The Student Room Group

Can I retake OCR AS Levels next year even though the spec is changing.

Hi. The spec for OCR is changing. I'm doing all sciences and maths but I'm only worried about physics. Can I retake that next year under the current spec instead of the new spec that will be introduced next year? Thanks for your time.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Ye ye all of us taking as this year are entitled to resit our exams next summer regardless of the spec change (let's hope another government comes into power and scraps the whole darn idea).
Original post by dont-have-a-name
Hi. The spec for OCR is changing. I'm doing all sciences and maths but I'm only worried about physics. Can I retake that next year under the current spec instead of the new spec that will be introduced next year? Thanks for your time.

Depending on the outcome of the election, the changes may be delayed.
Either way, You will be able to resit the physics exams unless your school decides not to enter candidates for them (most unlikely). The exams already appear in the schedules for next year. Because they will be teaching a new syllabus to the year 12s it's possible the school won't enable you to retake any AS practical assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks Jess, Jay and Dunne for posting back. I've got another question. Let's say I get A's for Biology, Chemistry and Maths AS. I then get a D for physics and retake that again next year (just the AS) and continue to do Biologoy Chemistry and Maths to A2. Will Uni's such as UCL (for medicine) consider me as a retake because I did get 3 A2's and an AS in 2 years instead of 3. Thanks
Original post by dont-have-a-name
Thanks Jess, Jay and Dunne for posting back. I've got another question. Let's say I get A's for Biology, Chemistry and Maths AS. I then get a D for physics and retake that again next year (just the AS) and continue to do Biologoy Chemistry and Maths to A2. Will Uni's such as UCL (for medicine) consider me as a retake because I did get 3 A2's and an AS in 2 years instead of 3. Thanks

IN GENERAL
retaking the odd exam from your AS year is acceptable to even the most competitive universities for most courses as long as done within two years of study (or sometimes even in a gap year). I know students at Cambridge, Durham and UCL who have done resits, the first within the 2 years, the other 2 in a gap year. Expect to be asked about it if you are interviewed. Without really good extenuating circumstances they are less likely to look at a candidate who has needed a lot of resits or has had to restart their A level study and do an extra year.
SPECIFICALLY FOR MEDICINE
Admissions tutors are looking for students who have a long track record of academic success usually achieved first time. They will look back at your GCSE performance as well as AS results and A level predictions. This is because study for medicine involves a large, high paced workload and frequent assessment where failure is not an option. Students who consistently need second chances can buckle under the study demands. Attitudes to resits will vary and you should contact admissions tutors at your preferred universities for advice. I doubt that one resit in an AS you have dropped will be a critical issue but no use applying to a university who tells you that it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest