The Student Room Group

Need help regarding Student finance!! Approved?

Hi,

I applied for my student finance on 31/03/2015, I live on my own but I am under 25 and not classed as independent.

I logged online today and my application has been approved, however it says my maintenance loan amount is £3731, which I obviously wont be able to survive on living on my own. It mentions nothing regarding the grant.

I phoned student finance and they basically said this is a preliminary figure and it will go up once I provide evidence of my parents income and I may get some portion of the grant. He said 3731 is like the bare minimum amount I could expect to receive?

So I was just wondering has this happened to anyone else before? Did you receive a Preliminary figure of what you're maintenance loan would be on your entitlement summary which consequently went up when you sent in evidence?

Thanks and sorry this sounds a bit long winded. I'm just slightly confused on how they can say my application is approved then give me a figure but then say oh no sorry this isn't the final amount you'll receive
Original post by Sophegg
Hi,

I applied for my student finance on 31/03/2015, I live on my own but I am under 25 and not classed as independent.

I logged online today and my application has been approved, however it says my maintenance loan amount is £3731, which I obviously wont be able to survive on living on my own. It mentions nothing regarding the grant.

I phoned student finance and they basically said this is a preliminary figure and it will go up once I provide evidence of my parents income and I may get some portion of the grant. He said 3731 is like the bare minimum amount I could expect to receive?

So I was just wondering has this happened to anyone else before? Did you receive a Preliminary figure of what you're maintenance loan would be on your entitlement summary which consequently went up when you sent in evidence?

Thanks and sorry this sounds a bit long winded. I'm just slightly confused on how they can say my application is approved then give me a figure but then say oh no sorry this isn't the final amount you'll receive

If you haven't provided all the evidence you need to submit, then it's very likely the loan amount is wrong- however, the longer you delay, the more likely you'll face problems getting the right amount of loan on time in September. Are your parents stalling with regards to providing financial information?

Also, are you 100% sure you cannot be assessed as independent? Do your parents currently give you money towards your living costs?

Finally, are you sure the figure did not include any grant- the figure sounds very low even for a non-assessed maintenance loan, but your loan reduces as your grand increases.

I would also not take a phone adviser's word for anything- in the nicest way possible, they are not well trained and often give flawed or contradictory advice.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you haven't provided all the evidence you need to submit, then it's very likely the loan amount is wrong- however, the longer you delay, the more likely you'll face problems getting the right amount of loan on time in September. Are your parents stalling with regards to providing financial information?

Also, are you 100% sure you cannot be assessed as independent? Do your parents currently give you money towards your living costs?

Finally, are you sure the figure did not include any grant- the figure sounds very low even for a non-assessed maintenance loan, but your loan reduces as your grand increases.

I would also not take a phone adviser's word for anything- in the nicest way possible, they are not well trained and often give flawed or contradictory advice.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I haven't sent any evidence yet. My parents are sending the pff2 form that student finance has requested which is how they'll declare their income.

I'll be living on my own still and I think my parents earn between 35,000-40,000 so I should hopefully receive more than 3731.

I tried to be assessed as an independent but student finance ask for evidence from social workers and police, but the reasons why I live on my own don't require involvement from professionals like that so I cant be assessed ss an independent despite not receiving any money from parents :|

How long does student finance take usually? If I send all evidence off tomorrow so you think my loan will be paid on time? :/
Original post by Sophegg

I haven't sent any evidence yet. My parents are sending the pff2 form that student finance has requested which is how they'll declare their income.

I'll be living on my own still and I think my parents earn between 35,000-40,000 so I should hopefully receive more than 3731.

I tried to be assessed as an independent but student finance ask for evidence from social workers and police, but the reasons why I live on my own don't require involvement from professionals like that so I cant be assessed ss an independent despite not receiving any money from parents :|

How long does student finance take usually? If I send all evidence off tomorrow so you think my loan will be paid on time? :/

If you haven't send in any evidence yet, it's very likely that the amount of loan you've been allocated is wrong and will change.

However, it's weird that SFE asked for evidence from SS/the police in order to assess you as independent. Have you lived away from home for more than three years?
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you haven't send in any evidence yet, it's very likely that the amount of loan you've been allocated is wrong and will change.

However, it's weird that SFE asked for evidence from SS/the police in order to assess you as independent. Have you lived away from home for more than three years?

No I'm only 19, I've lived on my own for about a year. Ive got evidence to prove I live on my own such as single occupancy council tax letter, utility bills and rent bills but SFE say this isn't enough and you must be completely estranged from parents and a professional must be able to prove this for you. I could probably try my hardest to push for an independent status but it would most likely to fruitless and I'd honestly rather get this out the way and ensure that I'll definitely getting paid my loan come September.
Original post by Sophegg
No I'm only 19, I've lived on my own for about a year. Ive got evidence to prove I live on my own such as single occupancy council tax letter, utility bills and rent bills but SFE say this isn't enough and you must be completely estranged from parents and a professional must be able to prove this for you. I could probably try my hardest to push for an independent status but it would most likely to fruitless and I'd honestly rather get this out the way and ensure that I'll definitely getting paid my loan come September.

Ah I see, if you've only lived on your own for a year, it's very difficult to prove your independent status- especially if your parents give you any financial help at all (including things like being a guarantor on your flat etc.)

I'm guessing you're not fully estranged if you are able to ask them for supporting evidence, so it's unlikely you'll be able to persuade SFE that you are.

Do you think they will help you out at all at uni? Would you visit them at all during your holidays?
Hi i was told provide income evidence to support my sons student grant claim, and sent this a week ago. However, when i log onto my student finance finance, it says i still have to do this. Why is this?

Also i sent it with my sons declaration form and they updated my son's student finance 😦😦
Original post by Sophegg

Have you sent in your declaration form yet? You should send it even if you're expecting your claim to be amended. Not sending it will delay your payments.
Original post by gsrdensofeden
Hi i was told provide income evidence to support my sons student grant claim, and sent this a week ago. However, when i log onto my student finance finance, it says i still have to do this. Why is this?

Also i sent it with my sons declaration form and they updated my son's student finance 😦😦

It takes longer than a week to process financial evidence, but declarations are processed pretty much as soon as they are scanned into the system.
Thanks for this. Puts my mind at ease

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending