The Student Room Group
Reply 1
By definition it is an A-Level, but some universities may not accept it and some will. It's best to mention a specific university as different universities differ.
Reply 2
It also depends on what course too. Search on the UCL website, they would give more information than I can.
Reply 3
Chinese is one of the most highly regarded languages in the world, they would easily take someone on with an A level in Chinese.
Original post by Pato1
Chinese is one of the most highly regarded languages in the world, they would easily take someone on with an A level in Chinese.

I agree. I did very well in Chinese at GCSE, but unfortunately I didn't take it for A-Levels as I thought I'd do better in Maths. I do regret that decision and I am sure that Chinese would be very beneficial for University and future employment. :smile:
Original post by lollilly
I'm taking AS Chinese and was wondering if universities consider the a level. I am half Chinese but it's not my native language in fact I only started learning the language 2 years ago when studying gcse. Thanks

Mandarin or Cantonese
Reply 6
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Mandarin or Cantonese

Mandarin :smile:
Mandarin :smile:

I'm also half Chinese and haven't learnt it, I wished I had the opportunity to! How hard has it been? My mother is Cantonese also so that makes it harder
Haha where is your dad from? I'm half chinese half Turkish :smile:
yeah my mother is Cantonese also but she suggested that I do mandarin as it's the main dialect. I'm finding it quite hard to be honest as I am learning so many new things. It's A massive jump from GCSE but I'm trying to get by. It's even harder as I only have a 2 hour session once a week so for me it's a lot of self study during the week which sucks. What's even worse is that I find the grade boundaries to be very high due to many natives taking the exam so everyone gets a high grade :frown:
the struggle of a BBC haha

My dad is English! Yeah I've picked up night classes along with my A levels, but in Spanish! Have you learnt any other languages, such as Turkish? ;p
Night classes? Seems like a lot of work haha.
i did attempt to go to a Turkish school but found it difficult to fit in so I just try to learn a few phrases here and there at home. I'm doing the same with russian at the moment. I did Russian gcse but not for a level so I'm partially self teaching at home. but I think is going to try and get my chinese sorted first before fully starting to learn another language

can you speak Cantonese?

Nope :frown:, I was a late speaker so my parents thought it was best for me to concentrate on English! And I made the mistake not taking any languages at GCSE. Trying to make up for it with Spanish and hopefully Mandarin as well as university along with my History degree. Can you speak Cantonese?
Night classes? Seems like a lot of work haha.
i did attempt to go to a Turkish school but found it difficult to fit in so I just try to learn a few phrases here and there at home. I'm doing the same with russian at the moment. I did Russian gcse but not for a level so I'm partially self teaching at home. but I think is going to try and get my chinese sorted first before fully starting to learn another language

can you speak Cantonese?

I have a notification you quoted me but I can't see your comment -_-

Latest