The Student Room Group

Need urgent advice on UCAS

Hey everyone!

I've received all my decisions from UCAS and I don't know what to choose as my insurance so I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I'm definitely firming Imperial for Medicine (conditional offer AAA).

But for my insurance I have to choose between my other Medicine offer for Liverpool (also conditional AAA) and my Biomedical Science offer for KCL (conditional AAB).

Is there any point accepting two Medicine offers? :confused: What do you think? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by yxsmin_o
Hey everyone!

I've received all my decisions from UCAS and I don't know what to choose as my insurance so I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

But for my insurance I have to choose between my other Medicine offer for Liverpool (also conditional AAA) and my Biomedical Science offer for KCL (conditional AAB).

Is there any point accepting two Medicine offers? :confused: What do you think? :smile:

If two offers are the same no point, don't be stupid and end up in havoc if you haven't met the offers.
Hey everyone!

Well both your medicine offers have the same conditions and sadly for medicine leiniency on grades is not really a think, especially with liverpool so I wouldnt put them as an insurance as its a waste of time.

If you could really see yourself doing biosciences at KCL if you didnt meet the grades then insure it, I was in the same position with an AAA for medicine at Cardiff and two AAB's one at liverpool for anatomy and one at kings for genetics, and in the end i didnt choose an insurance as Ii didnt see myself at either of those universities doing that course and realised if i didnt get the grades I would rather go through everythng again and go to a uni i really loved and do a course that i didnt just pick as a "back up" etc.
Hey everyone!

Original post by Rstlss
If two offers are the same no point, don't be stupid and end up in havoc if you haven't met the offers.

It depends. How much do you want to be a doctor? Would you be happy studying Biomedical Science and working in whatever field that takes you?

There certainly IS a point in having an insurance with the same requirements as your firm. One might be in a position to be lenient while the other cannot.
Original post by ageshallnot
It depends. How much do you want to be a doctor? Would you be happy studying Biomedical Science and working in whatever field that takes you?

There certainly IS a point in having an insurance with the same requirements as your firm. One might be in a position to be lenient while the other cannot.

Liverpool had like 4000 applicants this year, and have given out loads of offers, my tutor specifically warned us not to insure liverpool if we had an offer from them as they are never lenient, its either AAA or nothing with them.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Liverpool had like 4000 applicants this year, and have given out loads of offers, my tutor specifically warned us not to insure liverpool if we had an offer from them as they are never lenient, its either AAA or nothing with them.

Quite possibly. But the OP would be more than slightly gutted if they achieved e.g A*A*B and somehow would have slipped in the back door. My point was made within the context of the OP having to choose between Medicine and Biomedical Sciences for an insurance. If they, like you, don't want to study anything but Medicine this year then they lose absolutely nothing by insuring Liverpool.
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
Well both your medicine offers have the same conditions and sadly for medicine leiniency on grades is not really a think, especially with liverpool so I wouldnt put them as an insurance as its a waste of time.

If you could really see yourself doing biosciences at KCL if you didnt meet the grades then insure it, I was in the same position with an AAA for medicine at Cardiff and two AAB's one at liverpool for anatomy and one at kings for genetics, and in the end i didnt choose an insurance as Ii didnt see myself at either of those universities doing that course and realised if i didnt get the grades I would rather go through everythng again and go to a uni i really loved and do a course that i didnt just pick as a "back up" etc.

On the Liverpool Medicine applicants 2015 page a first year said a small handful of people got in last year with AAB... I'm thinking they must have put Liverpool as their first choice though :/

Honestly being a doctor is the only career I'd enjoy. I have my heart set on it.

But at the same time I want to be realistic, if I don't get the grades this year resitting post-year 13 does not appeal to me so I'd be going through clearing to most probably do Biomedical Science and then apply to Medicine as a graduate. I don't think I'd end up in as good a university through clearing and ideally I want to be in either London or Scotland for uni so at the moment I'm leaning towards insuring Biomedical Science at KCL because that guarantees that if I have to go down the Biomedical route I'm doing a good enough course to make a competitive application for graduate Medicine and I'll also be in a place where I'll be happy.

Sorry if that all doesn't make sense haha :s-smilie:

Quite possibly. But the OP would be more than slightly gutted if they achieved e.g A*A*B and somehow would have slipped in the back door. My point was made within the context of the OP having to choose between Medicine and Biomedical Sciences for an insurance. If they, like you, don't want to study anything but Medicine this year then they lose absolutely nothing by insuring Liverpool.

That's what I'm thinking... if I achieved grades equivalent to AAA would one of my Medicine offers be more likely to take me :/

Honestly being a doctor is the only career I'd enjoy. I have my heart set on it.

But at the same time I want to be realistic, if I don't get the grades this year resitting post-year 13 does not appeal to me so I'd be going through clearing to most probably do Biomedical Science and then apply to Medicine as a graduate. I don't think I'd end up in as good a university through clearing and ideally I want to be in either London or Scotland for uni so at the moment I'm leaning towards insuring Biomedical Science at KCL because that guarantees that if I have to go down the Biomedical route I'm doing a good enough course to make a competitive application for graduate Medicine and I'll also be in a place where I'll be happy.

That's what I'm thinking... if I achieved grades equivalent to AAA would one of my Medicine offers be more likely to take me :/

Why does resitting 'not appeal'? Have you looked into the chances of getting onto a postgrad Medicine course compared to trying again next year as a re-sit candidate?

Yes, of course achieving the equivalent of AAA is better than not doing so, but it won't automatically get you in.

Whether a med school will be willing to be lenient will depend on the results of all their other firm/ins applicants. There's no way to predict it. Some med schools fill up with reserve lists instead of taking students who have missed their strict offer conditions but there's no way to predict which schools will behave in which way this year. You might as well have both F and I with the same conditions and double your chances of getting a med place if things don't come out quite right in August.

There are LOADS of great places in clearing for biomed specifically looking to pick up "failed" medics - you will not struggle to find a good place with guaranteed accom etc in clearing for biomed if you miss the grades (even on a technicality) and neither med school will take you.

Right now all med schools have their places severely restricted by the government....after the election in may there is always a chance that a new government looking to have something to show about how they're recruiting more doctors will grant extra med places to certain med schools very late in the day.
Reply 9
Why does resitting 'not appeal'? Have you looked into the chances of getting onto a postgrad Medicine course compared to trying again next year as a re-sit candidate?

Yes, of course achieving the equivalent of AAA is better than not doing so, but it won't automatically get you in.

Just because staying on at school another year whilst everyone else is moving on would not be ideal. I've looked into which universities accept applications from resit candidates without extenuating circumstances (Plymouth, Exeter, UEA and maybeee Liverpool but they're not very clear about it). I have no idea about the chances tho :/ I've heard grad entry is really competitive.
Just because staying on at school another year whilst everyone else is moving on would not be ideal. I've looked into which universities accept applications from resit candidates without extenuating circumstances (Plymouth, Exeter, UEA and maybeee Liverpool but they're not very clear about it). I have no idea about the chances tho :/ I've heard grad entry is really competitive.

I would suggest that is hardly a strong reason. What is a single year compared to the rest of your working life? So what if most of your friends and peer group have gone away to uni? How do you reconcile it with what you said about how being a doctor is the only thing you want to do?

And yes, I believe that postgrad entry is hugely oversubscribed.

Out of interest is there a realistic chance of you achieving less than AAA given your AS marks etc?
What do you think? :smile:

I think you have received the definitive best advice from PQ and Ageshallnot. Accept two medicine offers if you want to study medicine, and then get on with your revision. Worry about biomed later.
On the Liverpool Medicine applicants 2015 page a first year said a small handful of people got in last year with AAB... I'm thinking they must have put Liverpool as their first choice though :/

If you really want medicine don't put KCL as you'll always be thinking what if, and if you want to be a doctor in end it's a much longer route to do biomedical as a degree and then do postgrad medicine, you're still best off reapplying the next year.

Also, my friend got into medicine at Leicester when he got AABB despite missing his offer of AAA so as someone said before if you get AAB/A*AB/A*A*B they might be lenient.

Either way, if you know you're not going to be happy settling for a non medicine degree don't take KCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending