The Student Room Group

How do you study/revise for AS Chemistry?

I'm sure my threads have probably filled up TSR by now lol so sorry people.
But yea, how does a person study/ revise for Chemistry? Are CGP books good for this? In my OCR book there are around 238 pages but inside my CGP book there are around 168 so it's about half the size. I don't know which to use, there's just so much content that I have no clue what to and not to focus on. This has always been something I have struggled with in chem, how do you personally study for it? I feel comfortable in the subject but organic chemistry :/ sigh!
I rewrite notes and do past papers. I also try to do all the textbook questions but theres never enough time.

Apparently revising with friends helps too.

It doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely works for me.
Well for AS Chemistry make sure you know the content then do past papers and see how the mark scheme answers the questoins. AS is just basically writing down answers from memory nothing more too it very little application apart from a few topics.
Things you get wrong from papers learn that again so you dont get it wrong next time.

I think the CGP book is garbage i just used the Official OCR book and made notes from there.

A2 however is different, much harder than AS well at-least F325 is haha..
You have revise everything 👋🏾
Reply 4
Original post by ThatGuyRik
Well for AS Chemistry make sure you know the content then do past papers and see how the mark scheme answers the questoins. AS is just basically writing down answers from memory nothing more too it very little application apart from a few topics.
Things you get wrong from papers learn that again so you dont get it wrong next time.

I think the CGP book is garbage i just used the Official OCR book and made notes from there.

A2 however is different, much harder than AS well at-least F325 is haha..

What so I have to go through the whole blimmin book? I don't have time though. It means I would have to make notes and understand 5/6 pages a day.
Reply 5
Chemistry is one of the hardest so you have to know everything including definitions just to regurgitate them in the exam. I make sure I do notes on the topics I don't understand as much then apply these to past papers then look over them again so I don't forget it. Just draw out mechanisms and have an example and make sure in the OCR book you don't skip the green pages on polymers/ margarine as they even ask questions on these.
Original post by Cherry82
What so I have to go through the whole blimmin book? I don't have time though. It means I would have to make notes and understand 5/6 pages a day.

Well think about it. Its been a whole year you must have learnt something. Now its kinda too late i admit but dooable.

So personally id just do papers and learn the mark schemes as AS exams are in May and that's your best bet at getting an A. Keep doing them until you get full marks memorise the common questions asked thats also a big way for getting free marks.
Reply 7
Well think about it. Its been a whole year you must have learnt something. Now its kinda too late i admit but dooable.

So personally id just do papers and learn the mark schemes as AS exams are in May and that's your best bet at getting an A. Keep doing them until you get full marks memorise the common questions asked thats also a big way for getting free marks.

I have but I have a whole module that I am confused about and no nothing on. Organic chemistry is killing me. But thank you for your advice, yea- very. Learn the mark schemes? Wow, why are questions repeated? Don't they pick out random questions to set for people?
I have but I have a whole module that I am confused about and no nothing on. Organic chemistry is killing me. But thank you for your advice, yea- very. Learn the mark schemes? Wow, why are questions repeated? Don't they pick out random questions to set for people?

Organic chemistry comes with practise if you start now its not too late. Questions are repeated its obviously not the exact same question but more or less the same. Its not really application at AS its more about just knowing your stuff. They have random questions but its not too difficult to answer them if you know your stuff again.
Reply 9
Organic chemistry comes with practise if you start now its not too late. Questions are repeated its obviously not the exact same question but more or less the same. Its not really application at AS its more about just knowing your stuff. They have random questions but its not too difficult to answer them if you know your stuff again.

Sigh- Ok, my plan was to go through the OCR book in it's order which mean't I would start organic chemistry in 3/4 weeks. If this happens- is that still Ok? My second paper is on the 2nd June? I'm trying to create a timetable. I don't know if I should use the spefication while learning everything or is everything you need to know not included in there?
Sigh- Ok, my plan was to go through the OCR book in it's order which mean't I would start organic chemistry in 3/4 weeks. If this happens- is that still Ok? My second paper is on the 2nd June? I'm trying to create a timetable. I don't know if I should use the spefication while learning everything or is everything you need to know not included in there?

You know you can go through the book while doing papers. Obviously not simultaneity but like do papers in the evening after a days worth of revision. (Suggestion) Or maybe learn a topic and do question on that tpoic from a paper.

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/OCR%20Chemistry%20A%20home.html

There are someone AS questions on here.(actually alot). Have a go.
Reply 11
You know you can go through the book while doing papers. Obviously not simultaneity but like do papers in the evening after a days worth of revision. (Suggestion) Or maybe learn a topic and do question on that tpoic from a paper.

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/OCR%20Chemistry%20A%20home.html

There are someone AS questions on here.(actually alot). Have a go.

Oh yea, true. It's just though me managing my time well, I'm trying to also prepare for English Literature and Physics. I'm dropping maths- it's too late for an A. No point in trying to learn 3 modules in the space of 7 weeks with other intensive courses.
Oh yea, true. It's just though me managing my time well, I'm trying to also prepare for English Literature and Physics. I'm dropping maths- it's too late for an A. No point in trying to learn 3 modules in the space of 7 weeks with other intensive courses.

*Sigh How many exams have you got?
Reply 13
*Sigh How many exams have you got?

At the moment, eight exams however if I drop maths I'll have five exams in May/June.
Learn the content, go over it again and make sure you understand it well - any concepts you don't understand use Youtube.

Then do as many past papers you can get your hands on - in exam conditions of course.
At the moment, eight exams however if I drop maths I'll have five exams in May/June.

I have more than that and mine are A2. Now think about it yours are AS and dooable now try :smile:
Reply 16
I have more than that and mine are A2. Now think about it yours are AS and dooable now try :smile:

Wow, thank you. You've helped me, I'm sure you're ready for your exams though. You seem to know a lot. This experience has made me understand I have issues with time management. I need to get it sorted. Ok, I'm leaving this site for a while. I'll be back if I am unsure of anything and have questions. See ya, thanks again.
Wow, thank you. You've helped me, I'm sure you're ready for your exams though. You seem to know a lot. This experience has made me understand I have issues with time management. I need to get it sorted. Ok, I'm leaving this site for a while. I'll be back if I am unsure of anything and have questions. See ya, thanks again.

Yh im ready have had a whole year haha. Yh make sure you sort your stuff out for A2 or your gonna be truly screwed. Bye, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Yh im ready have had a whole year haha. Yh make sure you sort your stuff out for A2 or your gonna be truly screwed. Bye, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was praying you were still online...
Ok, I have one last question. I'm trying to study at the moment and I'm not understanding the official book. I was going to ask, if I used the specification to guide me but research things instead of using the book will that be ok or risky? Do I need to go through this book for good grades because I really don't understand what it is saying.
I was praying you were still online...
Ok, I have one last question. I'm trying to study at the moment and I'm not understanding the official book. I was going to ask, if I used the specification to guide me but research things instead of using the book will that be ok or risky? Do I need to go through this book for good grades because I really don't understand what it is saying.

Lucky you was about to go off :smile:
You know you can just pm me so when im not revising ill check. haha

So basically i printed off the specification for f324/f325(A2 Modules) and went through each point as that's what we need to know for the exam. Any of that can come up. I learnt the topics and doing practice for those ie from papers or topic based question from sources.
Use the spec for guidance and use the book you can look at other sources but they probably complicated. I cant answer whether going through the book will get you good grades everyones different :/ but safe bet everyone did use the book and learnt from it.

Quick Reply

Latest