The Student Room Group

RAF boots

Hi I have my training at Halton soon, I have been breaking in the altberg boots that I got on PRTC and they are quite comfy now. I'm unsure on whether to polish them or not though as I'm not sure how to and don't want to ruin them so thinking it's best just to make sure they are clean and broke in before I go. Won't get in trouble starting with them not polished? They will show us how to polish them so I figure it's best to wait till instructed on the correct way as I've never polished boots or shoes before.

Looking forward too it been doing a lot of fitness so my only concerns are the washing ironing and polishing side as that's what will be new to me. Been practicing my ironing a few times a week at home so I'm not bad at it just concerned about the high standard we will have to do it too at Halton but we will get good ironing lessons and a chance to improve if we aren't great at it straight away? Also wondering how much there will be too iron each night on average too?

Been looking into hospital corners as well as I have never done them and aren't too sure about them and can't practice as we only have fitted sheets so hopefully get shown how to do them too.

Other than that looking forward too it as been a year since I applied and would be good to hear of anyone else who is going to Halton soon or drop me a message as can't post dates on here.

Scroll to see replies

What did they tell you to do on PRTC? I'm sure you were told something about boot care.

As for EVERYTHING else. You will be taught. That's what basic training is for. You will be shown and you will have plenty of practice at all the things you mention and more. Stop fretting.
Original post by Carl25
They will show us how to polish them so I figure it's best to wait till instructed on the correct way as I've never polished boots or shoes before.

http://www.aircadetonline.com/flash_site/nco_tips_shoes.htm

Use Kiwi, not Parade Gloss.
Reply 3
Yeah your right I'm just worrying too much over small things as like to feel I'm fully prepared in everything

cheers for that guide it's a good help
Reply 4

Careful with this. Kiwi is the brand, not the product. Kiwi make a polish called parade gloss. What you've just said is the same as "use Heinz, not tomato ketchup".
Original post by Drewski
Careful with this. Kiwi is the brand, not the product. Kiwi make a polish called parade gloss.

Yes, you pedant. :smile: I gave Parade Gloss its initial capital letters, as is its due as a proper noun. I suppose I should have said "Kiwi shoe polish" and "Kiwi Parade Gloss shoe polish (which costs twice as much)".
There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to polish. I would advise you polish at least a few times in the coming weeks. Polish keeps the boots healthy. I'm getting frustrated that my polish I ordered online hasn't come yet. I tried EVERY shop in town likely to sell polish ad couldn't get hold of Kiwi Mid tan!!!
I wanted to get up to scratch on polishing boots.

Ended up buying a valet kit from Jones's for £50 + other bits. Polishing families shoes and doing my own once every 4 weeks.

I think I have a problem ...

:s-smilie:
Original post by BarrattsMini
I wanted to get up to scratch on polishing boots.

Ended up buying a valet kit from Jones's for £50 + other bits. Polishing families shoes and doing my own once every 4 weeks.

I think I have a problem ...

:s-smilie:

But not £50. £50 for what can be accomplished with a £1 tin of polish, some water and a soft cloth?
Original post by Good bloke
But not £50. £50 for what can be accomplished with a £1 tin of polish, some water and a soft cloth?

My man - I am just a sucker for a well lacquered box haha
Original post by BarrattsMini
My man - I am just a sucker for a well lacquered box haha

Can I interest you in this bridge across the Thames I happen to have for sale in London?
Don't confuse brush-polishing and 'bulling', you won't be bulling your boots. You only need a £1.00 or so tin of Kiwi mid tan or dark tan and a £1 or £2 set of brushes. Do not go over the top!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Also the sewing kit is on the list but I'm sure I heard we don't sew anymore. Can anyone confirm that? And how we label our clothes instead?
No, you don't sew all your name labels on any more but you will be expected to sew buttons back on shirts should they fall off. If it's on the kit list, TAKE IT!
Reply 14
Thanks I will take one then and that's good to hear confirmation we don't have to sew that's a relief. Assuming we just label our clothes with permanent marker nowadays.
Correct. HOWEVER, current practises are constantly reviewed and things change all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
RE boots....

WHOOPS :L I've just spent 20 minutes with cotton wool, water and a soft cloth getting a few layers of polish in :P I'll brush them from now on :biggrin:

Ever known someone told of for too shiny boots haha? #faceplant
Original post by CurryLover
No, you don't sew all your name labels on any more but you will be expected to sew buttons back on shirts should they fall off. If it's on the kit list, TAKE IT!

on my PRTC We got told NOT To use dark tan and ONLY mid tan or Alt-Berg wax. Apparently it makes your boots go burgundy if you use dark tan.

Re sewing kit, I'm taking everything on the list because the one thing I don't take 'cos I don't see me using it is the one thing that we'll deffo need :biggrin: :P

The only thing I'm struggling with is padlocks. I'm struggling with all the different sizing. So If anyone could link me to a padlock that will deffo fit I'd be very grateful - the only shop I found where I live had one size that didn't fit the lockers :biggrin:
Reply 18
Polish your boots with alt berg before you go but take mid tan and leader Gris there and alternate no one wants purple boots
With padlocks every block is different so no matter what you take you might have to get new ones at the spar
Make sure you take lots of black markers for labelling think and thin nib ! and a pair of scissors come in very handy
any idea how much they are in the spar shop? And will they have 6 in stock?!

Quick Reply

Latest