The Student Room Group

I am dyspraxic and dyslexic Ask me anything:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marc9726
I have Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia which has obviously affected my speech however at most I only have dyspraxic tendencies when it comes to the areas you struggle with so I'm just wondering if your speech has been affected at all or not?

My speech hasnt been affected at all, you could have both motor and verbal dyspraxia at the same time?
Original post by claireestelle
My speech hasnt been affected at all, you could have both motor and verbal dyspraxia at the same time?

Yeah I have very minor motor dyspraxia and I was just wondering if more serious motor dyspraxia would cross over in any way to speech because the causes of the two conditions of the conditions are so similar but simply affect different areas. I've always thought it strange that you can have very serious issues with one but not the other. Our brains are complicated things I guess...
Original post by Marc9726
Yeah I have very minor motor dyspraxia and I was just wondering if more serious motor dyspraxia would cross over in any way to speech because the causes of the two conditions of the conditions are so similar but simply affect different areas. I've always thought it strange that you can have very serious issues with one but not the other. Our brains are complicated things I guess...

I m confident it could probably cross over to speech.
I don't find it that strange as you say brains are very complicated and so all work differently:smile:
How much extra time on exams so you get, Sorry for being blunt
Original post by NeedAnswersASAP
How much extra time on exams so you get, Sorry for being blunt

25% and get a rest break in between for the pain in my hands from typing
Reply 25
I find most people since me leaving school are either pretty understanding and so if they were to treat me differently its in a postive manner, however i have met people who arent sure how to act as some make the assumptions that every dyslexic/dyspraxic cant do certain things when thats so far from the truth

What about the opposite; do you think anyone treats you too "specially"?
Original post by emoss99
What about the opposite; do you think anyone treats you too "specially"?

I would say no, been lucky in that i ve only feel like i ve been treated any differently to other people if i asked them to, for example if i asked for help with something
Its a motor co ordination problem so basically anything physical is harder from me than normal

Mine is pretty mild but it causes me to
Be extremely clumsy- i ve horrendous spacial awareness so no sports, i cant swim or ride a bike well
I cant do joined up writing, in fact i only write less than 20 words a minutes - i dont actually hold a pen "properly"
(so exams were painful to say the least:P)
I struggle with doing basic things like make up and tying shoes laces occasionally
Being organised is pretty hard, its like your brains in a jumble
I get confused with left and right
and many other problems on top of the ones being dyslexic causes.

Only like 6% of people have it so meet plenty of people who ve never heard of it

How much extra time do you get in your exams?
I found out I have dyslexia during the start of my second year in A levels. I'm perfect with Maths & Physics but find History tedious. I read normally but might have to read twice/three times to understand what I've just read. I also write essays super slow. Its a shame I wasn't tested during AS exams :frown:

Did they say your allowed to have breaks inbetween writing essays? I've just been given 25% extra time.
I guess everyone has their own strength and weakness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
How much extra time do you get in your exams?
I found out I have dyslexia during the start of my A2. I'm perfect with Maths & Physics but find History tedious. I read normally but might have to read twice/three times to understand and I write essays super slow. Its a shame I wasn't tested during AS exams :frown:

I guess everyone has their strength and weakness.

25% and since i started uni i ve had a pc and can have a short break in the middle of the exam if i need to.

I had my dyslexia diagnosed at 18 so can empathise with you, although possibly they could have said my dyspraxia was the complete cause of my problems i was still a little annoyed it took so many years to be told i ve got both.

Have you asked to have a reader for your exams?
25% and since i started uni i ve had a pc and can have a short break in the middle of the exam if i need to.

I had my dyslexia diagnosed at 18 so can empathise with you, although possibly they could have said my dyspraxia was the complete cause of my problems i was still a little annoyed it took so many years to be told i ve got both.

Have you asked to have a reader for your exams?

I don't have a reader but I'm going to ask if I'm entitled to have breaks during my exams tomorrow. I just go completely blank writing essays this year and struggled completely with essay based subjects last year because I take way too long to complete a simple task.

Has using a PC helped you out or do you prefer to write by hand?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I don't have a reader but I'm going to ask if I'm entitled to have breaks during my exams tomorrow. I just go completely blank writing essays this year and struggled completely with essay based subjects last year because I take way too long to complete a simple task.

Has using a PC helped you out or do you prefer to write by hand?

A pc makes all the difference, my handwriting is so slow like 10-20 words a mintue and i can type like 30 words a minute on a good day.
I wished i d got a pc when doing a levels, might have help me to get much better grades.
Although being dyspraxic, handwriting is my worse enemy:P
Reply 32
Its a motor co ordination problem so basically anything physical is harder from me than normal

Mine is pretty mild but it causes me to
Be extremely clumsy- i ve horrendous spacial awareness so no sports, i cant swim or ride a bike well
I cant do joined up writing, in fact i only write less than 20 words a minutes - i dont actually hold a pen "properly"
(so exams were painful to say the least:P)
I struggle with doing basic things like make up and tying shoes laces occasionally
Being organised is pretty hard, its like your brains in a jumble
I get confused with left and right
and many other problems on top of the ones being dyslexic causes.

Only like 6% of people have it so meet plenty of people who ve never heard of it

How do you handle it? Mine has got better since I joined cadets, but I still have baaaaad days. I can swim but not bike

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
A pc makes all the difference, my handwriting is so slow like 10-20 words a mintue and i can type like 30 words a minute on a good day.
I wished i d got a pc when doing a levels, might have help me to get much better grades.

For me typing still ain't quick enough - I have to dictate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
How do you handle it? Mine has got better since I joined cadets, but I still have baaaaad days. I can swim but not bike

Posted from TSR Mobile

By trying to be postive and stick to what i m good at, i guess after learning to live with all the difficulties its not so bad. growing up was rough but being in uni with all the support i dont feel like its such a problem anymore except on the days where i accidentally shut my wrist in a cupboard and constantly forget what i just did:P

I cant swim whatsoever, havent been on a bike in 4 years but could just about ride one a one point so you ve done well to manage swimming :smile:
Original post by Andy98
For me typing still ain't quick enough - I have to dictate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talking about dictation, i ve got some dictation software, its called dragon dicate, which i got when i started uni, takes a while to get used to but maybe thats the solution for you?
what words do you struggle to understand?
Reply 37
By trying to be postive and stick to what i m good at, i guess after learning to live with all the difficulties its not so bad. growing up was rough but being in uni with all the support i dont feel like its such a problem anymore except on the days where i accidentally shut my wrist in a cupboard and constantly forget what i just did:P

I cant swim whatsoever, havent been on a bike in 4 years but could just about ride one a one point so you ve done well to manage swimming :smile:

Yeah I'm stupid so I keep pushing myself to see what I can do - went skiing in February

Swimming's easy to learn when you think you're gonna drown:tongue: riding a bike is the hardest

Talking about dictation, i ve got some dictation software, its called dragon dicate, which i got when i started uni, takes a while to get used to but maybe thats the solution for you?

I tried some of those but my voice isn't yet recognised by many softwares, I get away with typing it's just the exams where I scribe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I'm stupid so I keep pushing myself to see what I can do - went skiing in February

Swimming's easy to learn when you think you're gonna drown:tongue: riding a bike is the hardest

I tried some of those but my voice isn't yet recognised by many softwares, I get away with typing it's just the exams where I scribe

Posted from TSR Mobile

The software i use is worth like 300 pounds so if it didnt work for you after training it you could demand a refund really:P

I just cant co oordinate my arms and legs well enough to swim really, find riding a bike i mostly concerrating on my feet.

Skiiing, that is brave:P
Reply 39
The software i use is worth like 300 pounds so if it didnt work for you after training it you could demand a refund really:P

I just cant co oordinate my arms and legs well enough to swim really, find riding a bike i mostly concerrating on my feet.

Skiiing, that is brave:P

Fair enough - I can't afford it then haha

For me it's the balance, speed and reactions

I prefer "insane"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest