The Student Room Group

AQA HIS1B 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

No idea why i used ones there lol....tiredness kicking in
Reply 21
How much balance are we expected to include in how successful questions? For example, if I was arguing that Henry VII was unsuccessful in promoting trade and my structure was:

Success-expanded cloth trade
Failure - (qualify the above success) bad relations with burgundy interrupted this trade
Failure- exploration results minimal in trade
Failure - didnt challenge the Hanse effectively

Would I be able to access level 5 for balance?
Reply 22
I think that one of the 24 markers for HenryVII will be on finance too. Idk why I've just got a feeling - it's come up quite infrequently and is quite a large part of the spec
Reply 23
Original post by gcser
I think that one of the 24 markers for HenryVII will be on finance too. Idk why I've just got a feeling - it's come up quite infrequently and is quite a large part of the spec

Do you think they will repeat questions again this year? Most questions in last year's exam were lifted from past papers, but I don't think that'll happen for us - they want to lull us into a false sense of security!
Reply 24
Original post by Remne
Do you think they will repeat questions again this year? Most questions in last year's exam were lifted from past papers, but I don't think that'll happen for us - they want to lull us into a false sense of security!

I think they easily could but yeah not going to second guess them really. How are you structuring your 'how successful?' Essays?
Reply 25
What would you write about for domestic policies? Im really struggling to form points for it :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by gcser
I think they easily could but yeah not going to second guess them really. How are you structuring your 'how successful?' Essays?

Intro

3 successes, the third should be a mix of success and failure so you can nicely link into the failures, e.g. The Eltham Ordinances proved a great success for Wolsey because he consolidated his own power... ...However, it did not improve administrative efficiency. NEW PARA: The King's demand for council reform was just one of many indications that Wolsey's hold on power was tenuous. etc.

Then you can do 3 failures from there.

Conclusion - try to find some balance but come down on one side ultimately, e.g. Wolsey's domestic reforms were successful to an extent, but had more failures.
Reply 27
Original post by Remne
Intro

3 successes, the third should be a mix of success and failure so you can nicely link into the failures, e.g. The Eltham Ordinances proved a great success for Wolsey because he consolidated his own power... ...However, it did not improve administrative efficiency. NEW PARA: The King's demand for council reform was just one of many indications that Wolsey's hold on power was tenuous. etc.

Then you can do 3 failures from there.

Conclusion - try to find some balance but come down on one side ultimately, e.g. Wolsey's domestic reforms were successful to an extent, but had more failures.

Okay great thanks. I was planning to do something along the same lines but I can't physically write that much in 24 mins unfortunately :frown:
Do you really think Henry VIII will be on question 2??? I haven't revised one bit for Henry VIII! What question do you think will come up for question 2 (if it's Henry VIII question)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boffin0121
Do you really think Henry VIII will be on question 2??? I haven't revised one bit for Henry VIII! What question do you think will come up for question 2 (if it's Henry VIII question)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could be anything from his reign tbh. Why did he execute Empson and Dudley, why did he marry Catherine of Aragon, why did he go to war with France in 1512...but I don't think it's likely to come up in that fashion. possible but not likely
Reply 30
I do not really think you should try and guess the questions. Just go over the contents and plan the past questions. Also remember to read the questions two or three times before you answer. FYI, I have noticed a common theme in Wolsey and Foreign Policy as the very last question.
How many points should you include for a 12 mark? One teacher told us aim for 3 but another said 4 should be the minimum?
Original post by Kellieanne
How many points should you include for a 12 mark? One teacher told us aim for 3 but another said 4 should be the minimum?

AQA say a minimum of 3 for L3+.
Original post by edgarcats
AQA say a minimum of 3 for L3+.

Thank you!
Does anyone have notes on trade?
I'm not sure how to answer a 24 marker on it :frown:
Kind of freaking out right now
I know topic 1 like the back of my hand, I know Wolseys rise and fall, Wolseys foreign policy success n failure, Henry VII foreign policy and rebellions and Henry VIII foreign policy. What are my chances of doing well?
Original post by queenaabb
Does anyone have notes on trade?
I'm not sure how to answer a 24 marker on it :frown:
Kind of freaking out right now

24 markers on trade came up Jan + June 2013 if you want to check out the mark-schemes on the AQA website.
Summary of things to know:
>wool & cloth-Antwerp; need good relations Burg;1493 embargo;1496 Magnus Intercursus (trade freely through Burg except Flanders);1506 Malus Intercursus (favourable to Eng merchants) as part of TofWindsor tho never implemented=trading Burg inconsistent due to enemy M,DoB
>trade with Fr also inconsistent as both use trade as a bargaining tool; 1487 France restrict after HVII back Breton independence; 1492 ToEtaples (reduce restricts); 1495 France end all restrictions to secure Eng neutrality in the Italian wars
>cloth trade=90% of all exports. more broadcloth now than raw wool. continued ascendancy of Merchant Adventurers + cont. decline of Merchants of the Staple
>HVII limit trading rights of Hanseatic League; 1487 ban foreign merchants exporting unfinished cloth; 1489 end Hansa control of export of bullion (modify this as could not afford to offend such a powerful interest); 1504 restored all Hansa privileges as he wanted to gain custody of Suffolk who was in Germany

You'll also need to know about shipping and exploration as they are often linked to trade but you might already be confident with those.

TBH I doubt trade will come up (I could be wrong) considering it came up twice recently but it's worth refreshing your memory. Good luck for tomorrow!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Why did they go to war with france in 1512 D: We haven't learnt this! Is it to do with Medina Del Campo, or am I being silly :s-smilie: We haven't done the council reform either ... D: I feel so unprepared
Original post by korrin
Why did they go to war with france in 1512 D: We haven't learnt this! Is it to do with Medina Del Campo, or am I being silly :s-smilie: We haven't done the council reform either ... D: I feel so unprepared

They went to war with France in 1512 because HVIII wanted the glory & adventure befitting an imperial King. Medina del Campo was in 1489 in HVII's reign and it was an alliance with Spain that give him international recognition and legitimacy. Not sure what you mean by council reform. The eltham ordinances?
Original post by korrin
What would you write about for domestic policies? Im really struggling to form points for it :frown:

Of who? Domestic policies are anything that occurs within England. Can include the Church, finance/domestic economy, treatment of nobility, government (local + central), legal reforms,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending