The Student Room Group

The Unviersity of Edinburgh - Film and TV

Hello everyone. Any idea how good is this course? Any good/bad rumors/facts?
Original post by Noldolante
Hello everyone. Any idea how good is this course? Any good/bad rumors/facts?

I couldn't tell you. I myself am very interested in this course and have heard it has transformed some good people into creative and articulate directors. In terms of acting, I think the course is more production based with specialities rather than acting but you'd have to go to an Open Day to hear it from the lecturers. I'm particularly interested in it because it covers directorial creativity and script and screen writing.

I've been to the St.Andrews Open Day this year, and found that whilst the course works on a relatively new scale and is very popular, it fails to include any production aspect, and solely relies on essay writing and theoretical/philosophical issues within the study of films (eg - Post colonial film; sci-fi; the use of feminism in film in the late 20th century; ect...). Don't get me wrong, there are many different topics you can study but, as I said, there is little if none at all production parts in the course.

I couldn't talk for Glasgow or Stirling or any of the others, but I'd advise you go to all the open days this year or the year before you plan on going to Uni.

If you're deadest on Edinburgh, fair enough, but at least consider the possibility of a fall back plan if you aren't accepted.
Reply 2
Hi! I have a quick question for you guys.
So I have been accepted to Napier univeristy for the film BA course, ,the university of West of Scotland, Queen margaret and Univeristy of Dundee, unfortunately I did not get into Edinburgh Univeristy. I would like which is the best university to study. I have heard good things about Napier, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Original post by Isi_C
Hi! I have a quick question for you guys.
So I have been accepted to Napier univeristy for the film BA course, ,the university of West of Scotland, Queen margaret and Univeristy of Dundee, unfortunately I did not get into Edinburgh Univeristy. I would like which is the best university to study. I have heard good things about Napier, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Hey! I know this is like a year later but could I ask how you got in? Like what you did in the interview?I'm just worried cus I don't have much experience in film, I have literally made only one project for my media and it was a group project. I also know they ask about favourite directors but mine are so generic cus they are Peter Jackson, Ridley scott, and taika waititi all who are mainstream (or will be in taika' s case) and I know they don't like this but this is genuinely who I admire in the Industry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending