The Student Room Group

Advice on Work Bullying and Notice!

Last Tuesday I handed in my notice due to the consistent **** I and everyone else at work receive from the landlord and landlady. In an effort to keep peace I agreed to help out and work over my notice which should end today and work until Sunday. However, on Sunday I had my till key confiscated and was told I was still required to do the long bar shifts on the floor for the rest of my time there. When I confronted a shift manager about this she said the manager was sorting out the Rota.. I sent this text the same night after my shift ... "Just wanted to check if you are changing my hours tomorrow as spoke to caroline earlier about not being allowed on the bar anymore and i pointed out that i am on opens and closes and she said you was looking at changing the rota. Can you let me know asap. I dont want to sound rude but i am working extra over my notice until sunday to help out as dan said the rota had already been done at the time, but i feel like im being punished for handing in my notice and ive taken it to heart a little bit. Speak soon" ... Heard nothing back so yesterday I decided not to turn up for work, as quite frankly I was scared that I'd probably step in front of the bus rather than on it just to get out of my shift. Today I found out that the pub managers have barred me, my boyfriend and my mum (basically anyone that they associate with coming in with me) and a colleague messaged me and told me she was concerned they wouldn't pay me on Friday for the hours I worked last week.

Does anyone know where I stand here? How can these awful employers be stopped? Xx :frown::mad:
Original post by jessicarose94

You are allowed to just not turn up to work, you don't have to work out your notice (but don't expect a reference)

They are allowed to ban anyone from the bar (though not on the basis of a protected characteristic)

They should pay you for work done, but if this was a cash in hand job, don't hold your breath because you've no way of enforcing it.
Reply 2
It's a great sob story, but in reality you agreed to work a shift then didn't turn up. Why shouldn't they be angry?

If it's a "proper" job, you can insist they pay you. If it wasn't on the books, point out to them you're concerned and may need to go to the CAB, bet you get paid even quicker :tongue:

I highly doubt they've banned your family tree from the pub. What kind of stupid business sense would that be? If they have, sod them - go to a different pub?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending