The Student Room Group

Hnc social sciences graded unit

Thought I would start a forum for the Graded Unit for Social Sciences since no one else has yet hope it picks up.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ONOHIGHERENGLISH
Thought I would start a forum for the Graded Unit for Social Sciences since no one else has yet hope it picks up.

My graded unit is next week. So not ready for it! Have no clue when it comes to research and methodology! I'm gonna pick Sociology and Psychology though!

Where do you study? :biggrin:
Original post by andersonr06
My graded unit is next week. So not ready for it! Have no clue when it comes to research and methodology! I'm gonna pick Sociology and Psychology though!

Where do you study? :biggrin:

Mines is on the 11th of May and I am going to do History which I have revised the hell out of and either Geography or Sociology for the second one. Did you receive broad guidance as to what the question might entail? also what universities did you apply for and what ones gave you offers? what ones did you pick as your firm and insurance? and maybe I could help you with the Research Methodology essay what are you struggling with. Oh, and I am at Glasgow Clyde College Langside campus what about you ? ps sorry for late reply forgot my password so I couldn't log in on my phone.
Mines is on the 11th of May and I am going to do History which I have revised the hell out of and either Geography or Sociology for the second one. Did you receive broad guidance as to what the question might entail? also what universities did you apply for and what ones gave you offers? what ones did you pick as your firm and insurance? and maybe I could help you with the Research Methodology essay what are you struggling with. Oh, and I am at Glasgow Clyde College Langside campus what about you ? ps sorry for late reply forgot my password so I couldn't log in on my phone.

Yeah our lecturers gave us a rough idea of what we'll be doing. Our sociology is on education, and "differential educational achievement"... so basically Social Class! Psychology is gonna be on Schizophrenia, Politics on the effect of the Referendum on Political Engagement in the UK and Mussolini and Hitler for History.

I'm not even doing anything to do with Social Sciences at Uni, I'm going to Glasgow Uni to do Spanish/German :tongue: Got an unconditional for Glasgow and Heriot-Watt, rejected from St Andrews. Firmed glasgow and didn't bother with an insurance since it was an unconditional.

Any help would be appreciated! It's just overall the research and methodology essay haha, our lecturer wasnt very good for it. He also forgot to mention to us we still have a closebook assessment to do aswell as our maths assessment. We're supposed to finish at the start of June! Don't see that happening.

I go to New College Lanarkshire at Motherwell!
Yeah our lecturers gave us a rough idea of what we'll be doing. Our sociology is on education, and "differential educational achievement"... so basically Social Class! Psychology is gonna be on Schizophrenia, Politics on the effect of the Referendum on Political Engagement in the UK and Mussolini and Hitler for History.

I'm not even doing anything to do with Social Sciences at Uni, I'm going to Glasgow Uni to do Spanish/German :tongue: Got an unconditional for Glasgow and Heriot-Watt, rejected from St Andrews. Firmed glasgow and didn't bother with an insurance since it was an unconditional.

Any help would be appreciated! It's just overall the research and methodology essay haha, our lecturer wasnt very good for it. He also forgot to mention to us we still have a closebook assessment to do aswell as our maths assessment. We're supposed to finish at the start of June! Don't see that happening.

I go to New College Lanarkshire at Motherwell!

ours is as follows:

Research methods- centres around the role of social science methods and you will be expected to base your answer around at least two social science subjects.

Geography- urban growth

History- the left and right in inter-war politics

Philosophy- the skills and abilities of philosophers and the achievements of philosophy

Politics- the nature of parliamentary government (including Scotland)

Psychology- You can choose to describe and evaluate 2 approaches studied in Psychology A or 2 theories from any topic studied in Psychology B. You will evaluate and include research evidence for either choice.

Sociology- applying functionalism to social life

Think am going to do Sociology as well as History.

For research methods here's a list of things to learn
learn the research process (6 steps with step 3 containing 4 stages)
common sense vs social science approach
methods of research such as surveys, observation, case studies, experiments. just mention these and maybe go into depth in about 1 or two of them
talk about intellectual property and plagiarism
talk about qualitative and quantitative data
primary and secondary sources of reading
primary and secondary sources of data
try also to fling in words like subjective , objective, validity, reliability
finally talk about analysing data (mode, median, mean) correlation standard deviation just really give a quick mention of these.

Honestly if you learn all this stuff your laughing am sure you will also be expected to give examples of what subjects within social sciences will use each of these i.e historians would used primary and secondary sources of reading.

For the research methods unit exam the written one your teacher has just warned you about it will most likely be about all this stuff as well its a shame your lecturers are not very good every lecturer bar one are top class lecturers in my college (in my opinion). Our Philosophy and Politics lecturer has a PHD although those are the only two subjects I am not taking this year.

I have received an offer from the uni of Glasgow myself to study sociology and history as well as this I got an offer from stirling to study the same thing, an offer from Glasgow cal second year entry for social science degree, an offer from Dundee to do psychology and history and finally a rejection from Strathclyde for psychology and history. I haven't actually accepted any yet they are all conditionals but I think either later today or tomorrow I will firm the uni of Glasgow and put stirling as my insurance.
ours is as follows:

Research methods- centres around the role of social science methods and you will be expected to base your answer around at least two social science subjects.

Geography- urban growth

History- the left and right in inter-war politics

Philosophy- the skills and abilities of philosophers and the achievements of philosophy

Politics- the nature of parliamentary government (including Scotland)

Psychology- You can choose to describe and evaluate 2 approaches studied in Psychology A or 2 theories from any topic studied in Psychology B. You will evaluate and include research evidence for either choice.

Sociology- applying functionalism to social life

Think am going to do Sociology as well as History.

For research methods here's a list of things to learn
learn the research process (6 steps with step 3 containing 4 stages)
common sense vs social science approach
methods of research such as surveys, observation, case studies, experiments. just mention these and maybe go into depth in about 1 or two of them
talk about intellectual property and plagiarism
talk about qualitative and quantitative data
primary and secondary sources of reading
primary and secondary sources of data
try also to fling in words like subjective , objective, validity, reliability
finally talk about analysing data (mode, median, mean) correlation standard deviation just really give a quick mention of these.

Honestly if you learn all this stuff your laughing am sure you will also be expected to give examples of what subjects within social sciences will use each of these i.e historians would used primary and secondary sources of reading.

For the research methods unit exam the written one your teacher has just warned you about it will most likely be about all this stuff as well its a shame your lecturers are not very good every lecturer bar one are top class lecturers in my college (in my opinion). Our Philosophy and Politics lecturer has a PHD although those are the only two subjects I am not taking this year.

I have received an offer from the uni of Glasgow myself to study sociology and history as well as this I got an offer from stirling to study the same thing, an offer from Glasgow cal second year entry for social science degree, an offer from Dundee to do psychology and history and finally a rejection from Strathclyde for psychology and history. I haven't actually accepted any yet they are all conditionals but I think either later today or tomorrow I will firm the uni of Glasgow and put stirling as my insurance.

You do Philosophy? We never even got the option for that lol! Our Social Science dept made the executive decision *eyeroll* to make the units Geography A, Sociology A&B, Psychology A&B, Politics A&B, History A&B, Research and Methodology. To make HNC Social Sciences across the NCL campuses more of the same apparently.
I've decided on Sociology and Psychology since those are my strongest. Don't get me wrong, I really like all of my lecturers as people, but the research and methodology lecturer isn't very good at teaching it. All the other lecturers are great, my sociology lecturer works for the SQA aswell as an external verifier.

Hmm, I do know most of those things from that list (from my own studying), but what is step 3 in the research process you're talking about? I don't know much about the process to be honest. I'm gonna make references to studies from other subjects when I'm talking about things like Qualitative and Quantitative, and give loads of examples.

Definitely think you should firm Glasgow! I was considering picking Sociology as one of my electives during first year, but I'm not sure!

Thanks a lot btw, you're so much more helpful than my r&m teacher hahah!
You do Philosophy? We never even got the option for that lol! Our Social Science dept made the executive decision *eyeroll* to make the units Geography A, Sociology A&B, Psychology A&B, Politics A&B, History A&B, Research and Methodology. To make HNC Social Sciences across the NCL campuses more of the same apparently.
I've decided on Sociology and Psychology since those are my strongest. Don't get me wrong, I really like all of my lecturers as people, but the research and methodology lecturer isn't very good at teaching it. All the other lecturers are great, my sociology lecturer works for the SQA aswell as an external verifier.

Hmm, I do know most of those things from that list (from my own studying), but what is step 3 in the research process you're talking about? I don't know much about the process to be honest. I'm gonna make references to studies from other subjects when I'm talking about things like Qualitative and Quantitative, and give loads of examples.

Definitely think you should firm Glasgow! I was considering picking Sociology as one of my electives during first year, but I'm not sure!

Thanks a lot btw, you're so much more helpful than my r&m teacher hahah!

HAHA! not a problem at all.

step 3 is known as operationalization it keeps spell checking it for me its spelt with an s not a z its includes 4 stages these are

1. choosing the method i.e observational study, experiment, case study (this is where you will first mention all of these and explain one or two in more depth later on).

2. explain what the words of the question you are testing actually mean for example if you are researching this whether or not working class people suffer from poverty and poor health you will need to explain what you mean by working class people, poor health, and poverty. make sense ?

3. set measurements am going be honest here I just cant get to grips with this but apparently its something to do with statistical tests or something its only a sentence long anyway

4. sampling methods so put down various sampling methods you could use i.e snowball sampling and so on.

yeh we have to do sociology A&B psychology A&B and Research methods we choose 2 more from Geography, History, Politics and Philosophy we also used to have economics but it was taken away this year.

I guess yous do a 16 credit HNC ours is only 15 credits.

Have you finished your RI for Psychology also I will be firming Glasgow that's a guarantee.
HAHA! not a problem at all.

step 3 is known as operationalization it keeps spell checking it for me its spelt with an s not a z its includes 4 stages these are

1. choosing the method i.e observational study, experiment, case study (this is where you will first mention all of these and explain one or two in more depth later on).

2. explain what the words of the question you are testing actually mean for example if you are researching this whether or not working class people suffer from poverty and poor health you will need to explain what you mean by working class people, poor health, and poverty. make sense ?

3. set measurements am going be honest here I just cant get to grips with this but apparently its something to do with statistical tests or something its only a sentence long anyway

4. sampling methods so put down various sampling methods you could use i.e snowball sampling and so on.

yeh we have to do sociology A&B psychology A&B and Research methods we choose 2 more from Geography, History, Politics and Philosophy we also used to have economics but it was taken away this year.

I guess yous do a 16 credit HNC ours is only 15 credits.

Have you finished your RI for Psychology also I will be firming Glasgow that's a guarantee.

God we were never even taught that :'( I have nothing in my essay about that! I have the stage operationalisation but all I have in that section is that that's when you begin to choose your research methods making sure they're reliable, replicable and valid!

What do you mean RI? Research Investigation? We've just started that.
God we were never even taught that :'( I have nothing in my essay about that! I have the stage operationalisation but all I have in that section is that that's when you begin to choose your research methods making sure they're reliable, replicable and valid!

What do you mean RI? Research Investigation? We've just started that.

really all we have left now is the graded unit and a sociology exam.
Although I have fallen behind in my RI and am in serious trouble if I don't get it done soon haha also I was off ill for the psychology exam so I have to sit that in June now. so whens the exact date of your graded unit ?
Although I have fallen behind in my RI and am in serious trouble if I don't get it done soon haha also I was off ill for the psychology exam so I have to sit that in June now. so whens the exact date of your graded unit ?

see if you give me your facebook I could send you a 38/40 mark essay for research methods I secretly took a picture of it when the lecturer went out haha.

We still have a politics assessment, history assessment, psychology report, sociology assessment, two research and methodology assessments and the graded unit, which is on the 6th of May, this wednesday :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Sociology assessment is next wednesday, the 13th, and if we pass that then we dont need to come to class anymore obviously. All the other assessments need to be done by the 29th of may
see if you give me your facebook I could send you a 38/40 mark essay for research methods I secretly took a picture of it when the lecturer went out haha.

ooh that would be good, I'll message you the link :smile: thank you!
Reply 12
Hi I'm also doing HNC/D social science and I'm struggling with research methodology. I need to well in this subject as I need to get onto next year. Our graded unit is on the 20th May and I'm thinking about doing psychology and history for the other two topics. Any help will be appreciated
Original post by Minnie_h
Hi I'm also doing HNC/D social science and I'm struggling with research methodology. I need to well in this subject as I need to get onto next year. Our graded unit is on the 20th May and I'm thinking about doing psychology and history for the other two topics. Any help will be appreciated

Hello my graded unit is tomorrow so the nerves are getting to me I don't have much time to spare but if you want you can send me the link to your facebook and I can send you the essay I sent Reece just send me it in a Private message.

I recently got a research methods paper marked that I done under exam conditions and I got 30/40 which is not bad but unfortunately I wrote it by hand and my hand writing is not readable at all haha but as I said send me your link and I will send you the 38/40 marked essay I have for research methods.
I like this dating website
cool
Reply 16

i know this is an old post, but hoping you still have a copy of the essay! could you send it on to me to have a look as well please :smile:
I realise that this is an old thread but I just wondering if I could possibly have a copy of the research essay please. I am struggling and and any help is really appreciated!
Could you discreetly also send me this too? I'm also studying social sciences and the graded unit is fast approaching!
I'm in the Coatbridge campus can I ask, when did you study schizophrenia was it your A unit or B we are moving on to it next week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending