The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Best Accomodation at Loughborough (freshers)

HI, I've got an unconditional place for loughborough applying for business - what does everyone suggest as the best/nicest self catered halls? What is John Philips/Hazerligg rutland like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newstudent404
HI, I've got an unconditional place for loughborough applying for business - what does everyone suggest as the best/nicest self catered halls? What is John Philips/Hazerligg rutland like?

Hi newstudent404
Congrats on your offer :biggrin:
Might be worth looking at this thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2887447

There's lots on info and people are discussing different halls on there too.

If you need some specific information let me know.

Vicky
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I have also firmed loughborough and im taking the psychology course.
does anyone know which accomodation would be best for me so that i am close to lectures
Original post by leannemarriott
I have also firmed loughborough and im taking the psychology course.
does anyone know which accomodation would be best for me so that i am close to lectures

For Psychology, the 2 closest self-catered halls are Butler Court and Falk Egg.

Towers is closest catered hall.

Although, no where is really far to be honest, and there's a free campus shuttle bus which goes round campus, so you can always get on one of those.

Hope this helps

Vicky
As a Business undergraduate fresher 2015/16, is Faraday or Cayley hall no matter catered or self-catered at Loughborough Uni be my good choice?

And about the catered halls, are the students need to go back their residential hall canteen for lunch during school days, or they can have lunch at any canteen outlets near their departmental schools?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by luciaceron
As a Business undergraduate fresher 2015/16, is Faraday or Cayley hall no matter catered or self-catered at Loughborough Uni be my good choice?

And about the catered halls, are the students need to go back their residential hall canteen for lunch during school days, or they can have lunch at any canteen outlets near their departmental schools?

Hi luciaceron

You take meals in the hall canteen, so you would need to go back to your hall to eat. However, if you know you're not going to be anywhere near there, you can request a packed lunch 24 hours before and take it with you.

None of the halls are very far away to be honest, and if you don't fancy the walk, there is a free campus shuttle bus running all day.
As everyone in catered halls is in the same position, it's never really a problem to go back to eat.

Hope that helps
Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi luciaceron

You take meals in the hall canteen, so you would need to go back to your hall to eat. However, if you know you're not going to be anywhere near there, you can request a packed lunch 24 hours before and take it with you.

None of the halls are very far away to be honest, and if you don't fancy the walk, there is a free campus shuttle bus running all day.
As everyone in catered halls is in the same position, it's never really a problem to go back to eat.

Hope that helps
Vicky

Thanks Vicky!
I got an offer in International Business and mostly will have lectures at Loughborough Business School. How you estimate the walking time between the school and Faraday or Cayley Halls? Any other halls are closest than these two if en suits is my preference?
As I'm a fresher from far away, how is your advice for choosing between catered and self catered halls?
Hi luciaceron

Congrats on your offer for International Business :biggrin:

Faraday and Cayley are both in the student village which is in the centre of campus.

If you have a look at our campus map here - in the top right hand corner is a search bar, where you can type in the name of the place you're looking at.
Both Faraday and Cayley are around Elvyn Way, Business School and James France (where you may have some lectures) are in Central Park near Margaret Keay Road.
Depending on how quickly you walk, you're probably looking about 10 mins.
Butler Court is probably marginally closer and has some en-suite, but it self-catered.
Towers is around that area too, is catered but doesn't have en-suite.

You can get an overview of all the halls here which might help a bit.

As for catered vs. self-catered, it's a tough one as both have their pros and cons - depends on the sort of person you are really!

Catered, you have set meal times, it's a very social atmosphere and of course you don't have to worry about cooking! We do offer 5 day or 7 day a week catering, so if you're going to be out on weekends a lot, that's probably a good compromise.
There is a video about catered halls from our students which might help.

Self-catered obviously you eat what you want when you want and if you love cooking it's great. There are supermarkets nearby and shops on campus for those essentials. You don't get the same social experience, but you do get to set your own meal times. There are also lots of food outlets on campus including cafés, bars, restaurants and "grab n go" shops. You can get an idea of what's available here.

Hope that's helped a bit!
Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi luciaceron

Congrats on your offer for International Business :biggrin:

Faraday and Cayley are both in the student village which is in the centre of campus.

If you have a look at our campus map here - in the top right hand corner is a search bar, where you can type in the name of the place you're looking at.
Both Faraday and Cayley are around Elvyn Way, Business School and James France (where you may have some lectures) are in Central Park near Margaret Keay Road.
Depending on how quickly you walk, you're probably looking about 10 mins.
Butler Court is probably marginally closer and has some en-suite, but it self-catered.
Towers is around that area too, is catered but doesn't have en-suite.

You can get an overview of all the halls here which might help a bit.

As for catered vs. self-catered, it's a tough one as both have their pros and cons - depends on the sort of person you are really!

Catered, you have set meal times, it's a very social atmosphere and of course you don't have to worry about cooking! We do offer 5 day or 7 day a week catering, so if you're going to be out on weekends a lot, that's probably a good compromise.
There is a video about catered halls from our students which might help.

Self-catered obviously you eat what you want when you want and if you love cooking it's great. There are supermarkets nearby and shops on campus for those essentials. You don't get the same social experience, but you do get to set your own meal times. There are also lots of food outlets on campus including cafés, bars, restaurants and "grab n go" shops. You can get an idea of what's available here.

Hope that's helped a bit!
Vicky

Thanks for your useful information!
Original post by luciaceron
Thanks for your useful information!

You're welcome :smile:

Vicky
Hopefully coming in September to do textiles! Is there any information about where the majority of my course will choose to live or is it really random?
Hello,

I've picked to go to Butler court in September, what is Butler halsl like for events, socials, sports and nightlife?
Reply 12
Are you do doing the innovation and design course?-I've put that as my firm, and trying to find other people on the same course and seeing what halls they're applying for
Original post by Charlvick129
Hopefully coming in September to do textiles! Is there any information about where the majority of my course will choose to live or is it really random?
Original post by Charlvick129

Hi Charlvick129

The Accommodation Centre do try to match people on similar courses / interests within each hall so it's not completely random. Therefore you don't have to worry about trying to find out who is applying for which hall beforehand.

Vicky
Original post by rstevens08261
Hello,

I've picked to go to Butler court in September, what is Butler halsl like for events, socials, sports and nightlife?

Hi rstevens08261

All the halls have very active hall committees and there is a lot on offer whichever hall you stay in. You can take part as much or as little as you like in any of the socials, sport etc it really is up to you how involved you become in hall life.

Vicky
Original post by hol-lee
Are you do doing the innovation and design course?-I've put that as my firm, and trying to find other people on the same course and seeing what halls they're applying for

Hi hol-lee

As I said above, the Accommodation Centre do try to match people on similar courses / interests within each hall. Therefore you don't have to worry about trying to find out who is applying for which hall beforehand and you can go for the hall which best suits your needs.

Vicky
Reply 16
Hi, I've firmed Loughborough (for Industrial Design and Technology BA) and registered for accommodation this morning. I was just wondering, for the self catered halls, what is the arrangement over the cleaning of the kitchen etc? Are there cleaners?
Thanks, Aishah :smile:
Original post by AishahMB
Hi, I've firmed Loughborough (for Industrial Design and Technology BA) and registered for accommodation this morning. I was just wondering, for the self catered halls, what is the arrangement over the cleaning of the kitchen etc? Are there cleaners?
Thanks, Aishah :smile:

Hi Aishah

Yes there are cleaners in self-catered halls. I believe that kitchens are cleaned weekly along with other communal areas, bedrooms are cleaned fortnightly and showers & toilets are cleaned daily.

However, normally everyone cleans up after themselves when they've finished cooking - it makes sense to do so.

Hope that helps

Vicky
Reply 18
Thank you Vicky! That really helped! :smile:
Original post by AishahMB
Thank you Vicky! That really helped! :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending