The Student Room Group

I work so hard and get no recognition?

(call me a nerd but...)

I got a bursary, myself, to study at a private school.
I am studying some of the hardest A levels.
I am very musical, have been on T.V, in newspapers, had a job in a classical vocal quartet, performed at venues all over the world.
I have a good set of GCSE results, music grades, ballet grades.
I study very hard for my upcoming exams.
I plan to go to university and hopefully get a masters degree or PhD.

But I get NO praise or recognition for this.

My friends who dropped out of school or college and have nothing to show for themselves, they get one job at Primark or in a factory and everyone goes wild! "congratulations!" "I'm so proud"

I work harder every day than they do in a year! Where is my praise or congratulations!?

For example: Someone gets a place in a community college studying hair and beauty they get a huge party thrown for them! I got a meal out with my mum for earning my own 2 year scholarship of £21,000!

Can anyone else relate to this?
Is it just simply expected of me to achieve highly?
How can I stop letting this bug me?

(Sorry if I seem to be bragging but I'm just trying to get my point across)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieeB
x

No offence but why should people care? I mean, it's all pretty amazing but are you doing it for yourself and your future or just for the attention. I'm smart but I don't feel entitled to any of that. The people who care about me are the ones who recognise my achievements and that's all I care about. Strangers do talk about me sometimes but why should I be bothered?

EDIT: Everyone has different views as to what a great achievement is so just surround yourself with people that have a similar mindset because you're clearly above a beauty course. We strive for excellence while others... ugh... don't. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
No offence but why should people care? I mean, it's all pretty amazing but are you doing it for yourself and your future or just for the attention. I'm smart but I don't feel entitled to any of that. The people who care about me are the ones who recognise my achievements and that's all I care about. Strangers do talk about me sometimes but why should I be bothered?

EDIT: Everyone has different views as to what a great achievement is so just surround yourself with people that have a similar mindset because you're clearly above a beauty course. We strive for excellence while others... ugh... don't. :rolleyes:

I don't need all the praise, its not like I expect everyone to be surrounding me with flowers and congratulations. I just don't understand how people give more attention to less significant achievements.

If you understand what I'm saying? I just simply don't understand?

And yes, I am doing it all for myself. But so are they right?
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel the same as you at the moment. You are doing it for yourself though and in time will reap the rewards
Reply 4
Indeed i am very proud of you.:clap2: Sometimes all that glitters is not gold so just because others are getting a party for it etc, it doesn't mean it is better compared to you just getting a meal with your mom. Sometimes people can get flashy and stuffs tbh or it could just mean a lot to them. Success and happiness is subjective you see....
Why are you even cracking your head thinking about all these unimportant stuffs?
I don't need all the praise, its not like I expect everyone to be surrounding me with flowers and congratulations. I just don't understand how people give more attention to less significant achievements.

If you understand what I'm saying? I just simply don't understand?

And yes, I am doing it all for myself. But so are they right?

We don't expect so much from people with 'less significant achievements'. For someone who has dropped out of school, getting a job or a place at college is a good achievement and people give them praise because it is not expected. People simply expect greater things from you or find it normal when you do something great because it's expected, take it as a compliment :smile:
Reply 6
(call me a nerd but...)

I got a bursary, myself, to study at a private school.
I am studying some of the hardest A levels.
I am very musical, have been on T.V, in newspapers, had a job in a classical vocal quartet, performed at venues all over the world.
I have a good set of GCSE results, music grades, ballet grades.
I study very hard for my upcoming exams.
I plan to go to university and hopefully get a masters degree or PhD.

But I get NO praise or recognition for this.

My friends who dropped out of school or college and have nothing to show for themselves, they get one job at Primark or in a factory and everyone goes wild! "congratulations!" "I'm so proud"

I work harder every day than they do in a year! Where is my praise or congratulations!?

For example: Someone gets a place in a community college studying hair and beauty they get a huge party thrown for them! I got a meal out with my mum for earning my own 2 year scholarship of £21,000!

Can anyone else relate to this?
Is it just simply expected of me to achieve highly?
How can I stop letting this bug me?

(Sorry if I seem to be bragging but I'm just trying to get my point across)

Don't let this bother you, You gotta keep on grinding and working harder towards your goal. Don't let what other people bother you, forget them. Great people only get recognition and reward for something that they done eg. winning a music competition but not for the hours grinding and practicing. You will get recognition, maybe not now but when you get there, when you reach your goal then everyone will be in ore of you.
Reply 7
Original post by Skittlemz
We don't expect so much from people with 'less significant achievements'. For someone who has dropped out of school, getting a job or a place at college is a good achievement and people give them praise because it is not expected. People simply expect greater things from you or find it normal when you do something great because it's expected, take it as a compliment :smile:

Yeah, I guess so. But normally I just get put down about it? Like they call me "posh" because I play instruments. Or call me a nerd or a swat ... just because I do well in exams and have high ambitions?

( I realise I sound so childish here haha )

What I mean to say is, people tend to be jealous rather that proud? And family just expect more and more with each achievement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, I guess so. But normally I just get put down about it? Like they call me "posh" because I play instruments. Or call me a nerd or a swat ... just because I do well in exams and have high ambitions?

I get what you mean but do things for yourself and not for recognition. Remember that a lot of people think you're incredible and only say so behind your back. I've been put down sometimes, only to realise that the same people were saying positive things when I wasn't there and were only being tough on me so that I could be better and wouldn't become arrogant. You don't need people to tell you that what you're doing is great- you know it is.
Reply 9
Original post by pagorai
Indeed i am very proud of you.:clap2: Sometimes all that glitters is not gold so just because others are getting a party for it etc, it doesn't mean it is better compared to you just getting a meal with your mom. Sometimes people can get flashy and stuffs tbh or it could just mean a lot to them. Success and happiness is subjective you see....
Why are you even cracking your head thinking about all these unimportant stuffs?

Yes, sorry I probably seem like a child having a sulk haha.
Being praised all the time is not going to help me achieve anything more, but sometimes it nice having the support of family and friends?

I wish it wouldn't bother me because it sounds pathetic tbh.

Its just frustrating seeing all the praise they get for things I could accomplish in a day.
Reply 10
Original post by Skittlemz
I get what you mean but do things for yourself and not for recognition. Remember that a lot of people think you're incredible and only say so behind your back. I've been put down sometimes, only to realise that the same people were saying positive things when I wasn't there and were only being tough on me so that I could be better and wouldn't become arrogant. You don't need people to tell you that what you're doing is great- you know it is.

I am doing this for myself, and I am very proud of my accomplishments. But it's easy to doubt this pride sometimes when friends and family don't express the same feelings.
Reply 11
Different people have different expectations. If Lionel Messi scored a goal in the CL nobody would care. If you did it'd be a worldwide phenomenon.
Reply 12
Original post by samba
Different people have different expectations. If Lionel Messi scored a goal in the CL nobody would care. If you did it'd be a worldwide phenomenon.

Wow, that was surprisingly helpful haha :biggrin:
Yes, sorry I probably seem like a child having a sulk haha.
Being praised all the time is not going to help me achieve anything more, but sometimes it nice having the support of family and friends?

I wish it wouldn't bother me because it sounds pathetic tbh.

Its just frustrating seeing all the praise they get for things I could accomplish in a day.

No i think you should change your attitude. I can understand your frustration over not being appreciated as much as you deserve but i dont understand your over-confidence and ego.
So you work for other people and not yourself?

Ain't that a bit sad? Why do you need praise from other people?

Honestly though if you're in competition with people and you do better you don't get much praise for it. People usually just hate you. Unless it's the Olympics or sport.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by pagorai
No i think you should change your attitude. I can understand your frustration over not being appreciated as much as you deserve but i dont understand your over-confidence and ego.

You don't understand the kind of things I'm talking about. People who get given things that require no work put into it, like getting an interview at a community college: my local college accepts interviews from literally anyone so I don't understand how this is an achievement? Or being accepted onto course that requires literally no previous experience or qualifications.

This is what I mean by, " I could achieve in a day " because literally anyone could achieve it.
I don't want to sound mean but you're coming accross as very arrogant. I mean, your talents and ambition are amazing and you really deserve recognition for them, but you have just put down your friends for their achievements, basically stating that theirs aren't as valid as yours. Success is subjective, so maybe try and look at them as such. Support the people you love and learn to be happy for them in their lives. People will then start to see you in a better light.
I'd like to refer you to this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3262019&p=55023567#post55023567

As far as recognition goes, It is now accepted that you're highly academic and achieve great things, just because it is not voiced, doesn't for a second mean your accomplishments aren't recognized.

What I mean to say is, people tend to be jealous rather that proud? And family just expect more and more with each achievement.

Don't worry, one you get into uni you'll find your crowd. Being a "nerd"/investing in your future isn't something to be ashamed of, quite the opposite! It's a shame some people realise this later in their lives. Keep going, the higher you climb up the ladder, the more ambitious people you get to know! :biggrin:
Firstly you need to be proud of you(hardest thing EVER to do) and then the recognition from others will come! You see, if you're not proud of yourself you will constantly seek validation from others because you want to feel as if what you achieved was definitely good enough and that you couldn't have done any better, that is why you want it so first you need to be proud of yourself and then you probably won't care if others see it/celebrate it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending