The Student Room Group

If you fail an AS, should you pick another one up in year 13?

Hi I'm in year 12, atm I feel like I'm going to fail AS Physics, I know this would look bad on ucas so would picking another AS level up alongside my A2s be a good idea? something like politics or economics? would unis ignore the other bad grade?

thanks
You could retake AS Physics?
Reply 2
In A2 it becomes hard to study the new topics which are part of the specification. so learning a whole new AS as well may cause you some issues. but you can always retake as physics which you inform uni's once you apply and they don't critise against this.
Reply 3
Original post by Bobjim12

Starting September, I don't think you'll be able to retake any AS (I think it depends on the exam board)

Original post by j5994
Hi I'm in year 12, atm I feel like I'm going to fail AS Physics, I know this would look bad on ucas so would picking another AS level up alongside my A2s be a good idea? something like politics or economics? would unis ignore the other bad grade?

thanks

There wont be any point in doing that, especially since your subject will get harder (economics is hard, and there's so much writing in politics). Try to revise as much as you can for physics by going on YouTube to watch tutorial and doing many past papers.
Original post by kkboyk
Starting September, I don't think you'll be able to retake any AS (I think it depends on the exam board)

Is Physics not on the list of subjects changing from 2017?
Reply 5
Is Physics not on the list of subjects changing from 2017?

On the AQA websites it mentions all of the sciences:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/supporting-education/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/structure-of-new-a-levels

Ah, then i am mistaken.
Reply 7

Original post by KrazyK18
In A2 it becomes hard to study the new topics which are part of the specification. so learning a whole new AS as well may cause you some issues. but you can always retake as physics which you inform uni's once you apply and they don't critise against this.

Yeah I guess I could but honestly I don't think I'd be able to do it, even a second time round, my maths just isnt good enough for the mechanics element and the teachers just assume that everyone knows it (don't take maths)
Reply 8
Ah, then i am mistaken.

I'm not quite sure on the retake policy too much, and only one of my teachers had told me we won't be able to resit the exam, but I can't find it being mentioned on the website :s
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk

There wont be any point in doing that, especially since your subject will get harder (economics is hard, and there's so much writing in politics). Try to revise as much as you can for physics by going on YouTube to watch tutorial and doing many past papers.

Yeah I know what you mean; I did really enjoy economics at GCSE tho so I'd probably be motivated, its just would a better grade in another AS benefit me with uni applications?
Original post by kkboyk
I'm not quite sure on the retake policy too much, and only one of my teachers had told me we won't be able to resit the exam, but I can't find it being mentioned on the website :s

Maybe its to be assumed, if the whole course is changing..
Reply 11
Original post by j5994
Yeah I know what you mean; I did really enjoy economics at GCSE tho so I'd probably be motivated, its just would a better grade in another AS benefit me with uni applications?

It won't leave a good impression, especially since A2 are much harder so if you failed at AS then you're more likely to fail it at A2.

Try to get a decent grade such as D or C.
Reply 12
Maybe its to be assumed, if the whole course is changing..

Yeah that's what I'm assuming, though I do find some of their changes to be a bit pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest