The Student Room Group

Will unis look down on me for getting poor GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Double A-Z
Fair says but even if I get a D*D*D*, get into Herts or something and end up with a 1st, a good CV and plenty of work experience under my belt (including the year abroad and year in industry) will I still look bad compared to someone with higher GCSEs with the same amount of work experience etc etc who graduated with a 2:1 or a 1st from a 'Russel Group' uni??

Remember employers don't just look at academics, they take a whole lot of other stuff into consideration.

Ill give you an example that happened. My business mentor works under Sopra banking and is the manager of his own department. He was currently in a situation where he had to decide between two new graduates. Candidate A was from a prestigious university (he didn't state which one) and Candidate B was from a less prestigious university.
Candidate B showcased a lot more transferable skills and attributes than candidate A, candidate A was lacking a lot of the skills needed for the job role so the decision was pretty simple from then on.

My point is that just try your best at whichever university you attend, get as much work experience and build as much industry links as possible. An employer won't always favour a person who went to a RG university i mean RG's are known for research. What use would that be to an employer, tbh they are so overrated imo lol only certain ones distinguish themselves as the top.
Reply 21
Original post by German123

If you had certain circumstance like health problems that prevented you from getting better grades then the unis should be lenient on you.

Not health problems but family arguments which resulted in police getting involved etc etc, on 3 occasions I barely had much time for last minute exam preparations and I won't go into detail but I know that this makes me look like a bad person even though I'm not, it wasn't even anything serious or major :frown::s-smilie: :confused: :eek:
Not health problems but family arguments which resulted in police getting involved etc etc, on 3 occasions I barely had much time for last minute exam preparations and I won't go into detail but I know that this makes me look like a bad person even though I'm not, it wasn't even anything serious or major :frown::s-smilie: :confused: :eek:

In this situation, i think it is best to tell the uni you want to go too etc because you could be an exception.

Also you should see a careers advisor because it seems like things are a little bit confusing.

May i ask, is the business level 2 coursework based or exam based.

I hope things work out.:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Kash24411

What use would that be to an employer, tbh they are so overrated imo lol only certain ones distinguish themselves as the top.

Lol this. However I talk about it with relatives and they're all like, "why would you want to go to a middle class uni when you can go for the top ones"
But then again they all went to so-called prestigious unis lol.
I mean I am capable of a lot and won't I prove that with a D*D*D*??
And also something and I CAN'T STRESS enough that for a graduate job/scheme/career in finance, university is important. Sure it doesn't have to be a Russel Group but I heard that City Uni London (Cass) is good for that and has many industry links
Reply 24
Original post by German123
In this situation, i think it is best to tell the uni you want to go too etc because you could be an exception.

Also you should see a careers advisor because it seems like things are a little bit confusing.

May i ask, is the business level 2 coursework based or exam based.

I hope things work out.:smile:

Haha well the business course consists of 2 exams, the rest of it is pretty much coursework.
And thank you, I must say it is nice to hear positive comments from someone for a change. :smile::o:p
Lol this. However I talk about it with relatives and they're all like, "why would you want to go to a middle class uni when you can go for the top ones"
But then again they all went to so-called prestigious unis lol.
I mean I am capable of a lot and won't I prove that with a D*D*D*??
And also something and I CAN'T STRESS enough that for a graduate job/scheme/career in finance, university is important. Sure it doesn't have to be a Russel Group but I heard that City Uni London (Cass) is good for that and has many industry links

Yeah i understand that. D*D*D* would look good on paper tbh but BTEC's only prove your capability of handling coursework, not exams.
Of course university is important i know all about it lol im going into that field myself.
Cass is indeed an excellent university
I don't think you'll have as many qualms with accounting as you think.

There are so many accounting apprenticeships being offered to people on my sixth form and if people like that can go straight in and get a job fairly easily after their apprenticeship, then so can you
Reply 27
Yeah i understand that. D*D*D* would look good on paper tbh but BTEC's only prove your capability of handling coursework, not exams.
Of course university is important i know all about it lol im going into that field myself.
Cass is indeed an excellent university

The fact of the matter is I am actually decent at exams, and considering I got Es and Fs before when I visited in September my teachers said that it was defo an improvement..
And true this but D*D*D* would also show work ethic, dedication, commitment, and ability to be all gritty and stuff and resisting the urge to take your foot off the gas pedal (if that makes sense) :tongue:
And awh nice one man, which Uni are you planning on applying to?
Haha well the business course consists of 2 exams, the rest of it is pretty much coursework.
And thank you, I must say it is nice to hear positive comments from someone for a change. :smile::o:p

Yes, and not everything is about grades as the whole applications is taking into consideration aswell.

Generally speaking it depends on where you want to go as different unis do stuff differently.

Just try your best with English and Business and then see a careers advisor.

You should also watch Mr Bruff on youtube-he has some great Eng lang revision.

All in all, you should not fret to much because GCSES are the stepping stone to A levels and even with bad grades you could always make something out of your ife no matter how small the percentage may be.

Some people on here might say that, you have no hope which is not true at all.

You need to know what you want in order to attain it and since you have already sort of decided what you want then, you have progressed on to the net level believe it or not.
The fact of the matter is I am actually decent at exams, and considering I got Es and Fs before when I visited in September my teachers said that it was defo an improvement..
And true this but D*D*D* would also show work ethic, dedication, commitment, and ability to be all gritty and stuff and resisting the urge to take your foot off the gas pedal (if that makes sense) :tongue:
And awh nice one man, which Uni are you planning on applying to?

Im sure you are, i know GCSE's aren't a true reflection of what you truly are capable of. Trust me i was in a similar position, could have easily came out with all A's and B's if i bothered back in school.
Already applied bro, i applied to York, Aston, Leicester, Liverpool and Sheff Hallam (Local backup :P) Decided to Firm Aston in the end and now just waiting to sit my final exams.
Reply 30
Im sure you are, i know GCSE's aren't a true reflection of what you truly are capable of. Trust me i was in a similar position, could have easily came out with all A's and B's if i bothered back in school.
Already applied bro, i applied to York, Aston, Leicester, Liverpool and Sheff Hallam (Local backup :P) Decided to Firm Aston in the end and now just waiting to sit my final exams.

Ah awesome stuff big guy, those unis are great :biggrin: best of luck to you with your finals, which subjects are you taking?
Ah awesome stuff big guy, those unis are great :biggrin: best of luck to you with your finals, which subjects are you taking?

Thanks a lot man.

Well im currently studying A level Geography, Psychology, BTEC business and Finance and the EPQ. Not the hardest of subjects but my GCSE results didn't allow me to take maths which was one of my initial choices. Still been a tough journey though and a lot of hard work is still left.
Reply 32
Thanks a lot man.

Well im currently studying A level Geography, Psychology, BTEC business and Finance and the EPQ. Not the hardest of subjects but my GCSE results didn't allow me to take maths which was one of my initial choices. Still been a tough journey though and a lot of hard work is still left.

Chin up man, you can do it :biggrin:

Is your BTEC a 6 unit one? And I guess it sucks that I could've done A level Maths and the others but I guess you look for alternatives right? :wink:

You sound like you've come a long way and you're obviously determined to succeed. Well done on you boy and good luck with wherver you decide to go :tongue: Lol
Chin up man, you can do it :biggrin:

Is your BTEC a 6 unit one? And I guess it sucks that I could've done A level Maths and the others but I guess you look for alternatives right? :wink:

You sound like you've come a long way and you're obviously determined to succeed. Well done on you boy and good luck with wherver you decide to go :tongue: Lol

Yeah it's basically a subsidiary diploma. Course man that's what we gotta do and its in the process of all working out.

Yeah i definitely have and good luck to you as well. Im sure you will end up getting where you want to be, if not just carry on being optimistic :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I don't think you'll have as many qualms with accounting as you think.

There are so many accounting apprenticeships being offered to people on my sixth form and if people like that can go straight in and get a job fairly easily after their apprenticeship, then so can you

I mean an apprenticeship sounds great but I'm different, for me ideally I'd like to go to university not only to increase my knowledge of the subject even further, but to improve my social skills, experience living with other people and practice being a bit more independent :tongue:
Reply 35
I promise you they won't.

I got 5 C's at GCSE and a few D's/E's. I got 4 A's at AS level and got offers from Bristol and UCL. If anything it impresses them going from poor grades at GCSE to good A levels.
I mean an apprenticeship sounds great but I'm different, for me ideally I'd like to go to university not only to increase my knowledge of the subject even further, but to improve my social skills, experience living with other people and practice being a bit more independent :tongue:

Totally agree and don't blame you in the slightest :smile: just highlighting that people get by without a fancy degree from a fancy university, if you're aiming to do accountancy
Reply 37
Yeah it's basically a subsidiary diploma. Course man that's what we gotta do and its in the process of all working out.

Yeah i definitely have and good luck to you as well. Im sure you will end up getting where you want to be, if not just carry on being optimistic :smile:

Speaking of which what did you do your EPQ on? And can a BTEC student do one? Because when I pass my English, next year on level 3 I will only be in 3 days of the week lol so I could use my spare time working on it?? :s-smilie: :confused: Lol sorry for all these machine gun quick fire questions aha lol but I am just really curious :tongue:
Speaking of which what did you do your EPQ on? And can a BTEC student do one? Because when I pass my English, next year on level 3 I will only be in 3 days of the week lol so I could use my spare time working on it?? :s-smilie: :confused: Lol sorry for all these machine gun quick fire questions aha lol but I am just really curious :tongue:

Ask me as many questions as you want, honestly i don't mind at all.

Im not fully sure whether a BTEC student can do it or not, im obviously both, but i am pretty sure you would be able to do it as i can't think of any barriers preventing you.

I did my EPQ on the economic impacts of global warming and climate change, pretty interesting topic and i was able to talk about it on my personal statement which i felt was a big help. I would recommend it to you for sure, as long as you are willing to spend a few hours each week doing some research which im sure you would be.
Reply 39
Original post by afctom
I promise you they won't.

I got 5 C's at GCSE and a few D's/E's. I got 4 A's at AS level and got offers from Bristol and UCL. If anything it impresses them going from poor grades at GCSE to good A levels.

And hopefully I can impress City University as their only GCSE requirement is an A in maths which I have lol:tongue:

Besides the point, what was your school's entry requirements for A level? I don't mean to sound bad but most schools require 6 passes and Bs in potential A level subjects but idk, if your school was lenient that was great :tongue:

What AS levels were they? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending