The Student Room Group

UKIP 2015 Manifesto - LGBT

UKIP recently released their 2015 manifesto.

Looking through it, I was struck to find that there was no mention of LGBT rights (or even 'LGBT'), nor was there a section outlining UKIP's stance on (equal) marriage.

Why have UKIP omitted to mention their stance on these issues in their manifesto?

Scroll to see replies

Because UKIP are a group of raging homophobes obvs :mob:.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Another reason not to vote for them then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UKIP are the only main political party to not address LGBT issues in their manifesto.

You'd think a party with such a negative history with LGBT issues would want to make their stance on it clear. Apparently not (though sometimes silence says more than words ever can...).
Reply 4
Original post by Law-Hopeful
UKIP are the only main political party to not address LGBT issues in their manifesto.

You'd think a party with such a negative history with LGBT issues would want to make their stance on it clear. Apparently not (though sometimes silence says more than words ever can...).

Wiping out someones existence is much more insulting. An unrelated example is Sunflower The Centaur who has been wiped from every release of Fantasia besides the original due to being an incredibly racist depiction of black people. Disney has tried to make us forget and has wiped the character and not mentioned her since 1960. That just further makes things worse. It says: "no, Black people are not servants in our world. They don't even exist"

Sorry bit off topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff

Sorry bit off topic

Just a bit... Whilst I sympathise, I feel your post might be better placed in a separate thread (the aim of this thread was to discuss UKIP's LGBT policies etc)? :smile:
Reply 6
Just a bit... Whilst I sympathise, I feel your post might be better placed in a separate thread (the aim of this thread was to discuss UKIP's LGBT policies etc)? :smile:

my point was that a political party ignoring a group in a manifesto just gives the message that they don't exist in their world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they don't care....
Original post by datpiff
my point was that a political party ignoring a group in a manifesto just gives the message that they don't exist in their world.

I see, my apologies!

Yes I totally agree. You'd think UKIP would want to make clear their policies on issues that have proved controversial for them in the past, yet they make no mention whatsoever of their stance on LGBT issues or marriage.

I feel that's more forgivable, many parties probably imitate similar scenarios, but to completely omit any mention of such important issues (and being the only party to do so) is simply unforgivable.
Reply 11

HAHAHAHAH I actually laughed.
Reply 12
LGBT right? Are we in Saudi Arabia?
Gay and Lesbians have it perfectly fine here. Stop being so drama.
Reply 13
Original post by Lattoo

:confused:
Like what? Gays can already get married. I don't understand what you're trying to get at. There's no reason for them to talk about it.
Original post by Lattoo

Why settle for the system we have at the moment just because there are worse countries where you could be LGBT? Sounds pretty lame to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking through it, I was struck to find that there was no mention of LGBT rights (or even 'LGBT'), nor was there a section outlining UKIP's stance on (equal) marriage.

Why have UKIP omitted to mention their stance on these issues in their manifesto?

Attitude Magazine published interviews with all the main party leaders including Nigel Farage this month. I was struck by his noticeable distancing from directly supporting LGBT rights.

He made a habit, as politicians always do, of either redirecting questions onto something else or someone else, or just answering them with more questions.

Attitude Magazine
Q. When a [UKIP] member makes a homophobic comment, is that frustrating to you?
A. We're taking on the establishment, and they will use any means possible to try and damage our advance... I'm perfectly happy to talk about what our councillors say, but there was a Labour councillor convicted recently of paedophilia. Did you hear about that?

With Farage it's always about blaming someone else. If it's not the immigrants then it's another party.

Attitude Magazine
Q. Obviously we have same-sex marriage now, that's not going to be reversed is it?
A. I don't think it is, no. I still think it was a very extraordinary thing for Cameron to have done. Very extraordinary. Stonewall were surprised. Everybody was surprised. It wasn't seen to be a priority, but it's happened.

This is where I see his indirectness. Note that nothing in that response shows he supports same-sex marriage or thinks it's a good thing. He only seems to note that it was extraordinary and surprising, and that it wasn't seen to be a priority.

Attitude Magazine
Q. Where do you think we should be turning our attention next in terms of LGBT rights?
A. Is there anything? You tell me.

Q. Well some people think it's bullying in schools, some think it's blood donation...
A. I've absolutely no idea. I haven't received a letter as an MEP from a member of the LGBT community about any of that.

He's evidently not interested or concerned with LGBT rights.

Attitude Magazine
Q. But obviously there are countries where people are being persecuted for being gay.
A. Or Christian... I think one of the things we've learned in the past few years is that the attempt to impose our values on other countries has actually made things rather worse, so I'd be very cautious about this.

Again, he deflects the issue of LGBT rights onto something else, i.e. being a Christian.

In short, it doesn't surprise me whatsoever that the UKIP manifesto makes no mention of LGBT rights. I remember attending a students political convention 2 or 3 years ago where Nigel Farage openly opposed himself to same-sex marriage and preached that marriage could only ever be between one man and one woman.
Which rights do gays in Britain not have?
Original post by felamaslen
Which rights do gays in Britain not have?

It's about protecting rights rather than granting them.

We want all people to be equal under the law, right? Then why is it okay for UKIP to openly pledge to protect ethnic minorities and those from religious backgrounds, but not those of different sexual orientations. For example, on page 61 of the UKIP manifesto, it says:

UKIP will promote a unifying British culture, open to anyone who wishes to identify with Britain and British values, regardless of their ethnic or religious background. This is genuine inclusiveness.

This openly protects those from ethnic and/or religious backgrounds. Why can't the same sort of statement be made to protect the rights of homosexuals? There is still discrimination in the UK based on issues like race and sexuality, so I think there is a need for political parties to actively and openly seek to protect the rights of minorities.

LGBT rights are a fraction as important as issues such as the Economy, Immigration, the NHS, the EU, military and education.

Quick Reply

Latest