The Student Room Group

Economics at LSE

Hello just looking for some advice on whether to apply to economic MSC at LSE. I've heard that their teaching is very poor, you have low contact hours, the staff don't give a ****, and in general, you're just paying for the name, not the quality of the academic experience.

I want to work as a professional economist in business/government etc so want the best possible economics education as opposed to a boost to my CV for investment banking.

Any advice on whether what I have heard is true etc would be much appreciated and whether people reckon the MSC is worth the money
I really doubt teaching at LSE would be poor for any course tbh.
Reply 2
likewise, and if you really want to boost your CV, im sure a degree in economics from the London school of Economics will do that.
Maybe he just wants to study Economics without thinking about how it looks on his CV? Perish the thought...
Reply 4
ooh i didnt see the " opposed to" part...but dont know for sure, but i highly doubt the LSE's economics department would have low teaching quality...especially for postgrads.
Reply 5
I have to say I haven't heard that. My tutor suggested LSE as somewhere to look at for postgrad, although that was more PhD than MSc. I've tended to here that it's pretty good. However for me, I can't see it being £8-13000 better than UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, etc. who all do amazing MScs in economics. It looks like a great course, but I'd never pay £16000 in fees for it. That's more than Yale's course I wanted to do.
Apparently a good number of MSc Econ students at LSE are not interested in investment banking, if that makes you feel better. LSE is quite a mix, and in my economic history class there are some people who are gung-ho academia-bound while others are off to banks and consulting firms. The school is not as hard-core for the City as people make it out to be. Probably more so than at other places, but the academic staff is top-notch and they don't care about investment banking at all!
Reply 7
That's definitely true. I have to say, I can't imagine it being bad at all, because the PhD and research is so highly regarded. I stand by the statement that I've yet to see anything that makes it seem worth more than twice the price of any other UK economics masters, but it's not going to be a bad course at all.
shady lane
LSE is quite a mix, and in my economic history class there are some people who are gung-ho academia-bound

Lol, Niall Ferguson wannabes...

Latest

Trending

Trending