The Student Room Group

Twins drown in canal as mum fights off a bee

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
Loving the "young children killed in tragic accident" themed jokes.

Keep it up TSR. :rolleyes:

It wasn't; the mother let go of the pram on purpose cos the kids wouldn't beehive.

Original post by Daenerys...

I don't agree with people calling her an idiot. It was an accident.

Of course she's an idiot, and yeah it was an accident, but what a pathetic reason to let your pram go just because there's a bee.
Big deal, she could have easily pushed the pram the opposite way of the canal, whilst having one hand wacking the bee or whatever she thought she could do to get rid of it.

Just because it was an accident, doesn't make her NOT an idiot. She is an idiot, and now she has the lost lives of her two children on her hands.
Original post by *Stefan*
I'm really surprised to hear this from you.

You generally go with the notion: women superior -can never be wrong / men inferior -are always wrong. Hence the negative impressions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do think women are superior however that doesn't stop me from empathising with a man when he's faced with an unfortunate circumstance like this one. I am capable of entertaining multiple thought-processes that are not black and white, I am complex and highly emotional and I make no apologies for that.
Original post by *Stefan*
This is such a tragic reference (and I couldn't resist laughing :/).

This is honestly unbeelievable though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I half expectedly thought you'd mimic the user you quoted
Stupid of her to let the pram go like that next to a bloody canal, she must feel really guilty. A single bee of all things too..

I do think women are superior

How?
I do think women are superior however that doesn't stop me from empathising with a man when he's faced with an unfortunate circumstance like this one. I am capable of entertaining multiple thought-processes that are not black and white, I am complex and highly emotional and I make no apologies for that.

Come again?
Reply 26

Tragic. Plain and simple.

Original post by Samistrawberry
I half expectedly thought you'd mimic the user you quoted

Hahaha... I resisted the small urge to do so :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Loving the "young children killed in tragic accident" themed jokes.

Keep it up TSR. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh do bee quiet, if you're so stung by a little joke you should buzz off.

Spoiler

Original post by tengentoppa
The focus should be on the poor kids who lost their lives and the poor family. Not on the ****ing bee.

No doubt the Greens will release a statement shortly in support of the bee and offering £5bn worth of honey paid for by a new tax as compensation for any distress caused to it.
Me af.
I HATE bees. I locked my mom in a room with a huge one once so it couldn't escape.
Original post by whorace
Oh do bee quiet, if you're so stung by a little joke you should buzz off.

Spoiler

Ahhh I get it now!

I've some more material so that the hilarity can continue!:

Missing Irish girl's body found
400 hundred drowned in the Med
Five year old killed by mother in burning car

I bet people's sides are splitting after all that lot! Now I get that it isn't quite two young kids accidentally drowned by their mother - but I do hope people enjoy it all the same!

:rolleyes:
Reply 31
Ahhh I get it now!

I've some more material so that the hilarity can continue!:

Missing Irish girl's body found
400 hundred drowned in the Med
Five year old killed by mother in burning car

I bet people's sides are splitting after all that lot! Now I get that it isn't quite two young kids accidentally drowned by their mother - but I do hope people enjoy it all the same!

:rolleyes:

Drowned in the Med, Med, the irony is quite amusing.
Original post by Protégé
Stupid of her to let the pram go like that next to a bloody canal, she must feel really guilty. A single bee of all things too..

How?

Original post by TurboCretin
Come again?

1. Women are emotionally and verbally superior to men. The average woman uses 7,000 words to communicate in a day and varies in 5 tones. The average man? Only an average of 2000 words and 3 a mere tones. Men are talk impaired.

2. Women live longer in virtually all cultures. In America the average woman lives to 80, the average man lags behind at 74.8 years. From a longevity stand point women are ahead.

3. Many studies have demonstrated that women have a higher pain threshold than men, probably an evolutionary adaptation for childbirth.

4. Women can survive longer without nourishment. women have more body fat and less muscle mass than men. Since fatty tissue needs far fewer calories than muscle, women have the double advantage during starvation of having less muscle (thus burning fewer calories) and more fat (thus having a greater amount of stored calories) which translates into a metabolic advantage during times of famine. Moreover, due to having less body mass than men, women use fewer natural resources (i.e., air, water, food, fuel, etc.) so women are naturally "greener" than men. Okay, score's now 4 to 0.

5. In addition, generally, women seem to have higher social and emotional intelligence than men; are less violent and aggressive; are almost never serial killers or sexual sadists; and are far safer drivers (sorry guys, but it's true). In fact, a recent "New York Times" piece noted that men are found to drive faster overall, ignore traffic laws more often, take more (and greater) risks and are involved in the majority of fatal crashes around the globe.

6. Also, having two X chromosomes provides a huge health advantage, which is clearly the case for X-linked diseases, such as color blindness, hemophilia and Duchenne's disease (a severe recessive X-linked form of muscular dystrophy). These diseases, caused by mutations on the X chromosome, nearly always affect only men. Since females have two cell lines (one paternal and the other maternal with different X chromosomes active), if just one of a woman's X chromosomes is "healthy" it can prevent the expression of most X-linked diseases. Males, however, who have a "sick" X chromosome will inevitably be affected, as they have no "back-up" X chromosome from a "healthy"cell line.

7. And then there's parthenogenesis! A form of asexual reproduction found exclusively in females, where growth and development of embryos occurs without fertilization by a male. What's more, parthenogenesis always results in female progeny because the offspring invariably possess two X chromosomes. While there are no known cases of naturally occurring mammalian parthenogenesis in the wild, it does occur in a variety of species and is a possibility in humans. Hence, it is theoretically possible for women to reproduce without any male, genetic contribution (i.e., sperm) while it is impossible for men to procreate without women.

In essence, the only area where men have a clear advantage over women is their physical strength and possibly reaction time. But, unless we're considering sports or athletic performance, even this physical advantage is becoming less and less important due to technological advancements that are leveling the physical playing field. Still, in all fairness, let's give the guys a point.

Men are hopeless on their own, they need women to guide them in the form of a partner, mother, sister or daughter. Men in particular seem to benefit from being hitched. Over the seven year study period, the married male had a 9% lower risk of dying compared with an unmarried one. The effect is less for women, with the death rate reduced by 2.9%. This would suggest that women put more into a marriage and men take out more, but then you didn’t really need me to tell you that.
Reply 33
--

Gosh... you are so desperate to prove your "superiority".

And even if women are superior to men, you personally are way inferior to both in my eyes. Such obsolete opinions should not exist.
1. Women are emotionally and verbally superior to men. The average woman uses 7,000 words to communicate in a day and varies in 5 tones. The average man? Only an average of 2000 words and 3 a mere tones. Men are talk impaired.

This is a myth. See below:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/women-talk-more-than-men/

Your mythical numbers are even way off the mainstream mythical ones, which are 20,000 vs 7,000.

2. Women live longer in virtually all cultures. In America the average woman lives to 80, the average man lags behind at 74.8 years. From a longevity stand point women are ahead.

Which sex gets sent to wars. Which sex works the dangerous jobs. Which sex prioritises income at the expense of stress.

3. Many studies have demonstrated that women have a higher pain threshold than men, probably an evolutionary adaptation for childbirth.

Can you provide the studies.

These sources dispute this (not cherry-picked - taken from first page of results of Google search 'pain threshold men vs women'):

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51160 - "The laboratory research seems to indicate that for many kinds -- but not all kinds -- of stimuli, women have a lower tolerance for pain," says Linda LeResche, ScD, a professor of oral medicine at the University of Washington, in Seattle."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4641567.stm - "Not only do they feel pain more easily, women are less able to cope with it, believe scientists at Bath University."
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/whats-your-pain-tolerance?page=2 - "This study [...] showed that women were more sensitive to pain than men; but women and men were equal in their ability tolerate pain intensity."

4. Women can survive longer without nourishment. women have more body fat and less muscle mass than men. Since fatty tissue needs far fewer calories than muscle, women have the double advantage during starvation of having less muscle (thus burning fewer calories) and more fat (thus having a greater amount of stored calories) which translates into a metabolic advantage during times of famine. Moreover, due to having less body mass than men, women use fewer natural resources (i.e., air, water, food, fuel, etc.) so women are naturally "greener" than men. Okay, score's now 4 to 0.

Oh, great. Women take longer to starve to death - quelle superior. Excuse me while I go and kill a pig with my muscles and lack of flab. It's funny that you disregard men's superior physical capabilities below as being less and less relevant to modern life, yet are happy to adduce women's primacy in famine survival.

5. In addition, generally, women seem to have higher social and emotional intelligence than men; are less violent and aggressive; are almost never serial killers or sexual sadists; and are far safer drivers (sorry guys, but it's true). In fact, a recent "New York Times" piece noted that men are found to drive faster overall, ignore traffic laws more often, take more (and greater) risks and are involved in the majority of fatal crashes around the globe.

I'll grant the emotional intelligence point, although you're really cherry-picking here. I could list a number of types of reasoning (e.g. mathematical and spatial) in which boys are generally superior to girls.

I don't really know how the driving example is meant to illustrate superiority. Men drive more miles per annum than women do, so a greater volume of crashes is to be expected. Women actually crash more per mile than men do. However, men are more likely to kill people when they do crash. What this means is that women are more risk-averse drivers than men, but men are more competent drivers than women.

6. Also, having two X chromosomes provides a huge health advantage, which is clearly the case for X-linked diseases, such as color blindness, hemophilia and Duchenne's disease (a severe recessive X-linked form of muscular dystrophy). These diseases, caused by mutations on the X chromosome, nearly always affect only men. Since females have two cell lines (one paternal and the other maternal with different X chromosomes active), if just one of a woman's X chromosomes is "healthy" it can prevent the expression of most X-linked diseases. Males, however, who have a "sick" X chromosome will inevitably be affected, as they have no "back-up" X chromosome from a "healthy"cell line.

The link you've provided (to 'Psychology Today') says nothing about X chromosomes. Please provide source.

7. And then there's parthenogenesis! A form of asexual reproduction found exclusively in females, where growth and development of embryos occurs without fertilization by a male. What's more, parthenogenesis always results in female progeny because the offspring invariably possess two X chromosomes. While there are no known cases of naturally occurring mammalian parthenogenesis in the wild, it does occur in a variety of species and is a possibility in humans. Hence, it is theoretically possible for women to reproduce without any male, genetic contribution (i.e., sperm) while it is impossible for men to procreate without women.

What this has to do with superiority I do not know.

In essence, the only area where men have a clear advantage over women is their physical strength and possibly reaction time. But, unless we're considering sports or athletic performance, even this physical advantage is becoming less and less important due to technological advancements that are leveling the physical playing field. Still, in all fairness, let's give the guys a point.

The only area? Well this is incorrect simply on the basis of mathematical and spatial reasoning I pointed out above.

Men are hopeless on their own, they need women to guide them in the form of a partner, mother, sister or daughter. Men in particular seem to benefit from being hitched. Over the seven year study period, the married male had a 9% lower risk of dying compared with an unmarried one. The effect is less for women, with the death rate reduced by 2.9%. This would suggest that women put more into a marriage and men take out more, but then you didn’t really need me to tell you that.

The figures don't suggest anything of the sort, you're just plucking a hypothesis out of the air. The authors of the study you quote state in their conclusion "exactly how marriage works its magic remains mysterious".
As a mother that story really upsets me, poor babies ALWAYS put the effin break on!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending