The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Does opposing gay marriage make you homophobic?

Hi :smile:

Well, I have been thinking about this question for a time.
I oppose gay marriage, because my faith has taught me that marriage is between a man and a woman. However, I would not discriminate a homosexual. For instance, I oppose anti-gay laws, because I feel everyone has basic rights and no one should be discriminated because of their race, sexuality or gender.

So, I oppose gay marriage, but I do not oppose gay people and their actions,
Does that make me homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Team ASA

Adoomy gang

Go biryani. Go turkey

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lattoo

I oppose gay marriage, because my faith has taught me that marriage is between a man and a woman. However, I would not discriminate a homosexual. For instance, I oppose anti-gay laws, because I feel everyone has basic rights and no one should be discriminated because of their race, sexuality or gender.

" ...but I do not oppose gay people and their actions", yet you oppose their actions of getting married?
Original post by Lattoo

In some cases i d consider maybe you are to a small extent due to you beliefs on gay marriage as you dont belief they should be equally in that sense. I d consider marriage to be a persons right and therefore you are discriminating on sexuality there.

Do you agree with civil partnerships?
Original post by Lattoo

I'm in the same position as you.

Absolutely nothing against gay people themselves, but with the whole 'marriage' thing between same sex couples I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't say so, because I have gay friends and their sexuality doesn't make a difference to how I am with them, and I don't class myself as homophobic.
It's just the marriage.
Reply 5
Original post by kka25
" ...but I do not oppose gay people and their actions", yet you oppose their actions of getting married?

i do not oppose same sex relations (civil partnership), but i oppose gay marriage
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
In some cases i d consider maybe you are to a small extent due to you beliefs on gay marriage as you dont belief they should be equally in that sense. I d consider marriage to be a persons right and therefore you are discriminating on sexuality there.

Do you agree with civil partnerships?

i do not mind civil partnership, or same sex relations. i oppose gay marriage
Original post by Lattoo
For instance, I oppose anti-gay laws, because I feel everyone has basic rights and no one should be discriminated because of their race, sexuality or gender.

Being able to marry someone you love isn't a basic right?
Original post by Lattoo
i do not oppose same sex relations (civil partnership), but i oppose gay marriage

There really isn't much difference though. Whats your problem with it?
Reply 9
If you oppose polygamy, does it make you islamophobic? Do you get what I am trying to say? We all have our beliefs
Original post by Lattoo

:woo: More people should be like you. I guess some idiots don't know that marriage is a religious institution. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by binarythoughts
Being able to marry someone you love isn't a basic right?

Do you oppose polygamy?
Original post by Lattoo
Do you oppose polygamy?

That's not an answer.
Reply 13
Original post by jriches123
There really isn't much difference though. Whats your problem with it?

My faith teaches that marriage is between a man and woman, and it serves the purpose of reproducing. Same sex couples can not physically reproduce
Original post by Lattoo
My faith teaches that marriage is between a man and woman, and it serves the purpose of reproducing. Same sex couples can not physically reproduce

By that logic infertile couples shouldn't be allowed to get married.
Reply 15
That's not an answer.

I follow Islam, and my faith opposes gay marriage.
Original post by Lattoo
i do not mind civil partnership, or same sex relations. i oppose gay marriage

In my mind marriage can be a non-religious occasion so by agreeing with civil partnership why not agree with marriage
Reply 17
I've been told I'm a homophobe because I oppose all aspects of homosexuality. I don't care what people call me I'm not going to bend over for the white liberals to tell me what is right and wrong
Why should gay people want to get married through religious ceremonies which despise them?
By that logic infertile couples shouldn't be allowed to get married.

i d postive rep you but apparently done it too much today.

Latest