The Student Room Group

Academic writing: Is this good English?

"From 22 February 2015 to 26 March 2015, myself and various team members planned and managed the West London Youth Football tournament."

Is there any way to improve the grammar of that sentence?

EDIT: Just checking it is ok to use 'myself' in my next sentence? And should I be capitalising the roles of each group member too (eg: 'group leader' or 'Group Leader')? (See below)

"Initially, the team consisted of *Name* (group leader), *name* (scorekeeper), *name* (his job role) and myself (referee management)."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dylantombides
"From 22 February 2015 to 26 March 2015, myself and various team members planned and managed the West London Youth Football tournament."

I believe your use of 'myself' is incorrect, as a subject pronoun is required.

How about, 'I, along with other team members, planned and managed...'?

Though someone else may correct me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Myself is wrong (as a general rule: remove the other party from the sentence, and if it doesn't make sense with 'myself' then it's wrong. In your case it would read 'myself planned and managed' which is incorrect).

'Various team members and I' would work. The poster above is also correct but you're going to have a lot of commas if you phrase it that way.

I would probably use:
"From 22 February 2015 to 26 March 2015, I planned and managed the West London Youth Football tournament alongside various team members."

This also works:
"From 22 February 2015 to 26 March 2015, team members and I planned and managed the West London Youth Football tournament"
(edited 9 years ago)

What do you mean 'academic writing'? Is it a CV or a personal statement? An essay? Wat.
Original post by AdamskiUK
What do you mean 'academic writing'? Is it a CV or a personal statement? An essay? Wat.

University essay (undergrad)
University essay (undergrad)

I'd omit 'various' (unless it wasn't all of your team?) and perhaps write it as: 'From the 22nd of February to the 26th of March this year, I worked with my team to plan and manage the West London Youth Football tournament.'

That way, you don't write the year twice and the 'nd' and 'th' make it a little more formal. If not everybody did it, replace 'my' with various and through members in after team. As AP stated, don't use 'myself', at the very least.
Original post by AdamskiUK
I'd omit 'various' (unless it wasn't all of your team?) and perhaps write it as: 'From the 22nd of February to the 26th of March this year, I worked with my team to plan and manage the West London Youth Football tournament.'

That way, you don't write the year twice and the 'nd' and 'th' make it a little more formal. If not everybody did it, replace 'my' with various and through members in after team. As AP stated, don't use 'myself', at the very least.

Using 'nd' and 'rd' is not recommended in academic writing.
RE your second question: I would say use 'me' - grammatically, as the object pronoun, this is correct. (If you study French, Italian or Spanish this will seem a lot more obvious).

Again, to check, omit all other parties - does 'the team consisted of... myself' make sense? Not really.

Regarding capital letters, I would personally say to leave them from the roles - as a piece of reading they are somewhat off putting if overused.

Again though, second opinions welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aasvogel
RE your second question: I would say use 'me' - grammatically, as the object pronoun, this is correct. (If you study French, Italian or Spanish this will seem a lot more obvious).

Again, to check, omit all other parties - does 'the team consisted of... myself' make sense? Not really.

Regarding capital letters, I would personally say to leave them from the roles - as a piece of reading they are somewhat off putting if overused.

Again though, second opinions welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Second opinion anyone?
Reply 9
EDIT: Just checking it is ok to use 'myself' in my next sentence? And should I be capitalising the roles of each group member too (eg: 'group leader' or 'Group Leader')? (See below)

"Initially, the team consisted of *Name* (group leader), *name* (scorekeeper), *name* (his job role) and myself (referee management)."

Capital letters not needed for job roles.

Aasvogel is also right. 'Me' is grammatically correct.

(Using the rule I mentioned earlier, if you ignore the other parties it would be 'the team consisted of myself', which is incorrect. This rule generally holds when choosing whether to use myself, me or I, so it's useful to learn.)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending