The Student Room Group

I keep panicking during driving lessons

Hi! I'm currently on my 5th driving lesson, and I just keep panicking way too much and getting really nervous. I just keep thinking I'm going to do something really wrong or bad.

I know the instructor has a brake as well, but sometimes it all gets too much.

The 4th lesson was really nice. We were going through countryside, 60mph, I was fine with everything, and I felt really at ease. Back in the town/city, my driving instructor started saying I was getting nervous, and then I kept going wrong. I was worrying about doing something wrong or annoying other people.

Sometimes it just gets really much. At the moment, as stupid as it sounds, it feels like I can't multitask. On my last lesson, the 5th, there was a 3 week break between lessons due to cancellations, and it was like back to square 1. We were going along quiet roads, and I just can't seem to multitask going around a corner. We're going along in 2nd/3rd gear... a t-junction is coming up, I'm checking my mirrors and signalling which is fine, but then when I'm slowing up, putting my foot on the clutch, changing to 1st gear, maybe stopping and needing to do the bite point again, turning and going back to 2nd gear... it all feels too much in those few seconds you need to do it!

I feel utterly useless with driving. I dread the next lesson, and probably any after that.

I feel a bit on edge sometimes. He says to brake, then I apparently brake too much. Then when I don't, he's saying "BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE NOW!!". I stalled in the last lesson and he sighed, and I keep worrying I'm going to do it all the time.

When i'm turning, it's like I don't know how much to turn to go around bends as well. You feel the car going around, but if I don't turn the wheel back quick enough apparently.

I feel so useless! How can I stop getting so nervous... and is there anyone else like this, or is it just me?
I think you need a more patient instructor ... he shoud not be sighing - very unprofessional.
I agree with Muttley79 you may need a more patient instructor just as I did. I crashed on my 4th lesson due to my previous instructor. You should not feel pressured by your instructor as everyone learns at there own pace. Keep at it, you'll soon get there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending