The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Sherbourne Opinions

Hey,

So after looking through the choices on the accommodation website I've decided that I really like the look of Sherbourne. However, I really want to go to a hall that is really sociable and I can't seem to find any opinions on Sherbourne. Can anyone give some first hand experience/stereotypes/or just general opinions on the hall.

Also if you think that maybe Sherbourne isn't a great choice what would you recommend?

My criteria is:
ensuite
sociable
not cliche

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there,

With accommodation at Warwick, you will find that the stereotype exists that en-suite rooms are predominantly the most unsociable and unfriendly, with the general idea being that the more expensive the room is, the less likely the people are to be sociable, so Sherbourne is the second most expensive accommodation I believe, with Bluebell taking the top.

Often these accommodations are seen as 'stuck up' or full of posh people because of the link between the cost of the rooms, and from what I know, the more expensive places are often frequented by international students who supposedly are less sociable and who perhaps have made their own circles of friends during international orientation week which happens before the usual arrival intake at Warwick. However, you can't choose who you get put into a flat with, it is luck of the draw and you are just as likely to pull someone sociable as you are not, so these stereotypes often don't mean anything. :smile:

Sherbourne is a lovely, modern building with a breakfast-bar style kitchen that most other accommodations do not have, and the decor is also some of the most modern at the university. Cleaners come to clean up kitchens but as the accommodation is en-suite they will also come and clean your bathrooms I believe. Location-wise, Sherbourne is one of the furthest accommodations away from central campus, meaning that walks to central campus for SU events or nights out or central lectures will obviously be longer than usual, but some people take the shuttle bus or get taxis too.

Hope this information is somewhat helpful! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I am a first year student at Warwick studying History, I currently live in Sherbourne. I really love it here. Accommodation is very nice indeed, on-suite, big kitchen etc. Whole place is quite modern compared to other halls on campus. Sherbourne is right near the Business School in terms of location. It is situated alongside Lakeside and Heronbank.

Do not worry about the distance to central campus, people who have not stayed / or been to Sherbourne over exaggerate the distance. It is no where near as far from central campus as Westwood is. Takes me 10 minutes to walk to all my classes and seminars.

In terms of Sherbourne being quiet, don't believe that either. At the end of the day though, it is pot luck who you are with in regards to flat mates. I have been really lucky, met some great people. We are even living together next year in Leamington Spa also. Flat is quite international but we all mix really well. Out of 12 people, only 2 keep themselves to themselves, that is because they have a lot of friends from back home they go out with. My flat usually go out to clubs or for a drink a few times a week. There are often flat parties also, we have become quite good friends with some of the other flats in our building.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Sherbourne has been great to me.
Such bull**** when people say having an en suit is unsociable. People don't hang around in toilets do they.
Sherbourne is far from other accommodations. Most people who are more central on campus won't be willing to go to Sherbourne for parties etc. It's far from the SU too and most lecture buildings.
I would suggest more central accommodations such as Bluebell (which is beaaaaauutiful), Jack Martin, Arthur Vick or Rootes (which isn't as rowdy as people make out)
Reply 4
Original post by WarwickG
I am a first year student at Warwick studying History, I currently live in Sherbourne. I really love it here. Accommodation is very nice indeed, on-suite, big kitchen etc. Whole place is quite modern compared to other halls on campus. Sherbourne is right near the Business School in terms of location. It is situated alongside Lakeside and Heronbank.

Do not worry about the distance to central campus, people who have not stayed / or been to Sherbourne over exaggerate the distance. It is no where near as far from central campus as Westwood is. Takes me 10 minutes to walk to all my classes and seminars.

In terms of Sherbourne being quiet, don't believe that either. At the end of the day though, it is pot luck who you are with in regards to flat mates. I have been really lucky, met some great people. We are even living together next year in Leamington Spa also. Flat is quite international but we all mix really well. Out of 12 people, only 2 keep themselves to themselves, that is because they have a lot of friends from back home they go out with. My flat usually go out to clubs or for a drink a few times a week. There are often flat parties also, we have become quite good friends with some of the other flats in our building.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Sherbourne has been great to me.

Hey thanks so much for your response and so sorry for the late response. I'm a really sociable person but ensuite is a literal must? Do you think I should perhaps go to AV instead of Sherbourne? Also, is it quite easy to make friends in other flats or halls? Like by the sound of rootes I'm guessing I'm probably going to be drawn towards people from there. How international would you say your flat is? Like more internationals than home students or would there always be more home students. Thanks and apologies for the flood of questions.

p.s how far is it from the politics department?
Reply 5
Original post by AnonyMouse20
Such bull**** when people say having an en suit is unsociable. People don't hang around in toilets do they.
Sherbourne is far from other accommodations. Most people who are more central on campus won't be willing to go to Sherbourne for parties etc. It's far from the SU too and most lecture buildings.
I would suggest more central accommodations such as Bluebell (which is beaaaaauutiful), Jack Martin, Arthur Vick or Rootes (which isn't as rowdy as people make out)

Thanks, Bluebell is lovely but I really can't justify the price it's even more expensive than catered halls in Exeter which are ensuite and like warwick is in the midlands so naa haha.
AV looks decent but I'm not so sure about the hall concept vs individual flats. Is it hard to make close friends because there are so many people to a kitchen?

Quick Reply

Latest