The Student Room Group

What do you know now about uni that you wished you knew before going to uni?

Sorry for the painfully common question, but it's always a helpful one. Share what you know.

(I'm in year 12 right now, ie. I'll most likely going in September 2016, and haven't been to an open day yet, if that makes any difference to your responses).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WilliamV
Sorry for the painfully common question, but it's always a helpful one. Share what you know.

(I'm in year 12 right now, ie. I'll most likely going in September 2016, and haven't been to an open day yet, if that makes any difference to your responses).

That it might not be the best time of your life. It'll be good, but try not to expect it to be the best thing ever.
People can be a lot more immature that you would think.
Reply 3
Learn to budget. You will need this skill. Don't blow all your money at once!

Also. I wish I knew that there would be times when I would feel so overwhelmed and wonder what the hell I'm doing at university and feel like I'm not smart enough to be there. This is perfectly fine. EVERYONE EXPERIENCES IT. There is always someone going through the exact same emotions as you and you are smart enough. You just need organisation.

EDIT: Also, sweet potatoes are your friend. More Vit A, Vit C, fibre and less calories than their white counterparts and you can do them in the microwave. Sorted.
(edited 9 years ago)

Hello!

At the University of Reading there are so many services and student support that are on offer for students which is great and this is something that I didn't really consider when looking at universities.

It is very important to visit the open days. Some universities which I thought were amazing from the prospectus and website were not quite what I had in mind when I visited them. It doesn't mean that the uni is bad, just that everyone has different preferences. The course should remain the most important but its good to create a balance with course, the university and the area that it is in as it will be your home for a few years! Perhaps look at some campus based unis and city based ones to see which ones you prefer.

When you do visit the open days, don't be afraid to ask many questions to the students that are there. They are the best for telling you what they enjoy about the university and provide a student insight!

If you are interested in the University of Reading dates and more info can be found on here: http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/opendays/life-opendays.aspx

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

two thing's

1)how absolutely terrifying it is once your left on your own

2)how much fun and stressful uni can be
Reply 6
1. You won't get along with everyone, even your flatmates.
2. Not everyone who's 18 is mature, 18 just seems to be a label.
3. You can cook better than you think with practice and websites.
4. Thinking you're failing and having a 2 day period of laying on the floor screaming until you know you're passing is normal.
5. It isn't always fun, but it's an unforgettable experience.
6. Friends aren't easy to make or keep.
7. Don't get TOO drunk. I learned the hard way.
I made a post about this a while back. Basically, Freshers Week (and the first few weeks after that generally) is a very different experience from the rest of uni, and it's easy to get a wrong impression from those opening weeks of what uni life is actually going to be like.
Original post by Kuroneko
1. You won't get along with everyone, even your flatmates.
2. Not everyone who's 18 is mature, 18 just seems to be a label.
3. You can cook better than you think with practice and websites.
4. Thinking you're failing and having a 2 day period of laying on the floor screaming until you know you're passing is normal.
5. It isn't always fun, but it's an unforgettable experience.
6. Friends aren't easy to make or keep.
7. Don't get TOO drunk. I learned the hard way.

How did you deal with flatmates you didn't get along with
why aren't friends easy to make or keep- is everyone flighty- looking for the next level up or fake
I am interested to know- could you tell me more
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I made a post about this a while back. Basically, Freshers Week (and the first few weeks after that generally) is a very different experience from the rest of uni, and it's easy to get a wrong impression from those opening weeks of what uni life is actually going to be like.

how does it dupe you?
It can get really lonely at times, Netflix will be your best friend, as will cheap alcohol.
Don't over drink at pre-drinks.
People can be really rude and unfriendly/unwelcoming.
Flatmates are most likely going to be disgusting and never empty the bin in the kitchen.
You will hear people having sex in other rooms/flats around you (it's true, it happens).
Original post by soanonymous
It can get really lonely at times, Netflix will be your best friend, as will cheap alcohol.
Don't over drink at pre-drinks.
People can be really rude and unfriendly/unwelcoming.
Flatmates are most likely going to be disgusting and never empty the bin in the kitchen.
You will hear people having sex in other rooms/flats around you (it's true, it happens).

How did you deal with dirty flatmates?
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
How did you deal with dirty flatmates?

I put the bin bag outside their rooms and eventually they took it out. I also pretty much stopped going into the kitchen except for after the cleaners had been in. There's only so much I could do.
Oh and I left notes all over the place telling them to move their plates and **** etc as if anyone even took notice haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by soanonymous
I put the bin bag outside their rooms and eventually they took it out. I also pretty much stopped going into the kitchen except for after the cleaners had been in. There's only so much I could do.
Oh and I left notes all over the place telling them to move their plates and **** etc as if anyone even took notice haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

how often do the cleaners come?
May i ask what uni did you go to?
Original post by MagicNMedicine

this.

at Loughborough freshers was constant partying, the rest.. good but not so much the same.
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
how often do the cleaners come?
May i ask what uni did you go to?

Kent uni. They came once a week for the kitchens and once every 2 weeks for ensuites. (In my accommodation, not sure if they're all the same)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing Law is a waste of time unless you're rich or know someone who will give you a training contract.
You don't have to go to uni just because everyone else is.
You don't have to spend all your student loan just because it's there.
First year does matter.
Pot noodles and Dominos may seem like a good idea at the time but you should really learn to cook instead.
Original post by DarkMagic
Doing Law is a waste of time unless you're rich or know someone who will give you a training contract.

What makes you write this? Would you say that law at a top 10 university is still pointless?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm considering studying law and I'm wondering if your experience may dissuade me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron

What makes you write this? Would you say that law at a top 10 university is still pointless?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm considering studying law and I'm wondering if your experience may dissuade me.

If someone on a student forum can dissuade you from studying Law then I doubt you want to do it that badly. I did Law and hated it, but that's just my experience, it's not anything like what you'd expect.
But it's true, it's all about 'who you know' and if you don't know anyone who can help you get into the industry then you're pretty much screwed because there are plenty of people who do have contacts. Whether you're from a Top 10 University or not, it's incredibly difficult as the number of TCs is nowhere near as high as the number of Law graduates/LPC students etc.
Original post by Jasaron

My statement wouldn't really apply to you if you're thinking of going to a top 10 uni. It's more aimed at someone who isn't sure what they want to do, has no experience in Law and who wouldn't be able to do the LPC/BPTC without help.

Quick Reply

Latest