The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

King's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
*bump* are there any other offer holders lurking out there? Kingsfolk now have babies!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I have no idea how my linguist husband and I gave birth to a lawyer...but somehow we did.
Reply 82
hey there King's people. I was just wondering how often you wear your gowns? I've heard its pretty informal at King's, but i really wanna get the chance to wear a gown :smile: not loads, just occasionally.

EDIT: haha, i've made it sound like i'm already going. I havn't actually applied yet, just trying to decide on a college.
Reply 83
Not very often at all to be honest. I'm going into my 3rd year soon and I haven't worn a gown yet, and will probably get one (instead of renting one) for novelty value before I graduate. The people who do however are members of King's Voices (who can borrow gowns) and the choral scholars.

There's nothing stopping you from buying a gown to wear at formal elsewhere though, if you don't want to feel left out!
Reply 84
ah ok thanks.

just out of interest, what sorts of occasions do other colleges actually wear gowns?
Reply 85
If you're at another college, you'll probably first wear your gown at matriculation- the ceremony which results in you becoming a member of college (and involves a reading and signing your name, or something much more grand at other colleges or at places like Oxford.)

Then you'd wear your gown again that night at matriculation dinner, and then at every formal hall at your college or at other colleges. This is where you get the most use out of your gown. You may have to wear your gown if you get into trouble and have to see your dean/provost/senior tutor (again, this depends on where you are) or get in so much **** that you need to visit the proctors.

You'll also have to wear your gown at graduation.
Reply 86
a reading?! what does that consist of?

ah aslong as i get to where it at least once (i.e - graduation) i'm gonna apply to the King's i think. The only thing that puts me off King's out of everything is the tourist factor.

EDIT: hah, my despair at the reading bit makes me look like i can't read or something. i really have to think about my posts more clearly.
Reply 87
Someone (usually the dean) reads/talks, and you listen. It's hardly taxing:wink: even after being insanely hungover.
Reply 88
ohhhhhhhhh, i thought i might have to read.... read... in front of people. which is hardly that taxing either, but still not something i wanna just get thrown straight into.

ah listening, 'that' i can do :smile:
I applied and was accepted into kings for French and Russian, I wanted to do French and classical latin but you can't do it from scratch and whilst I know some I don't know enough.

Either way, I didn't end up going. I rejected my firm (this) and my insurance (St.Andrews French ad Philosophy) and went through clearing to be with my fiance which I regret in a way.

Am I missing much? I feel the education I get at Sheffield is seriously lacking, with all due respect to my lecturers, as it is not what i'd call a challenge. I may apply to do a masters, as I am on target to get a first.
Reply 90
whats the difference between kings and gonville? I'm stuck with my choices, but i heard the kings scene was really big. i love grand architecture, but does the age of the buildings mean that accommodation is awful?
Reply 91
My supervisor (does the SPS interviews at King's normally) said they do get huge amounts of people applying for SPS because its known as the college to go to for social sciences ie. Arch and Anth as well as SPS. Something to be aware of I suppose?

Gonville & Caius is normally shortened to Caius btw, and while the buildings are rather pretty I'd advise not going there because their attitude towards students is awful! From this year on you're not even allowed a kettle in your room at Caius coz apparently its a fire hazard....they also took all the hobs out of their gyp rooms this summer. On the other hand, they have sexy gowns. First year accommodation there is all outside those lovely old buildings as well just so you know - there's a brand new modern block they put all first years in.

(I do know what I'm talking about in case anyone's wondering, I'm a nearly 3rd year Kings girl with a Caian other half :smile: )
How'd everyone get on with results? Hope everyone got what they needed!
Reply 93
just wondering if anyone could tell me how much they spend on college food in an average day?
aaaaand are WE allowed mini-fridges, kettles, etc. in our rooms
oh and do we get duvets or do we need to bring them as well as the covers??
Reply 94
You'll get a mini fridge, and be allowed a kettle (and all of the gyprooms should have a decent kettle.) You'll get 2 crappy pillows and a blanket, but I'd recommend bringing your own pillows and duvet and duvet covers. The bedders will replace your sheets weekly, but again I'd recommend bringing your own.

I spent no more than 4-5 pounds a day on food (you might need more if you eat in hall often) but I cook for myself mostly.
Not sure if you're allowed to use a kettle in your room, but gyp rooms have them. As Visesh said, bring a duvet. I didn't personally have any problems with the pillows, but you could bring those if you wanted. No need for pillow case or sheets, but some people find the sheets annoying as they are the kind you need to tuck under the bed, rather than stretch around the corners.

I don't spent much on food, but I never eat in hall more than once a day. Breakfast can work out pricey (if you're going to have cereal in hall you might as well buy a big box from Sainsburys...I realised this after the first day), but brunch on Saturday and Sundays is worth it. Lunch and dinner are very similar to one another, and the costs vary. Generally, you'll ask for one of the options e.g. chilli which would be about Β£1.80 but then no-one really has that by itself, so you'd get rice/veg to go with it. So typically, you'd spent anywhere between Β£2 and Β£3 on a meal in all, not including dessert if you want it. I'd definitely recommend eating in hall in the first term though as it's sociable and everyone seems to do it. So basically, I'd say buy your own breakfast, and then go to hall for lunch and dinner in your first term...then after that see how you feel.

Edit: And as for mini fridges, most rooms have them but TCR don't. If you're in TCR you might want to bring your own.
Reply 96
How am I supposed to bring my own duvets on the plane? Did you guys get to Cambridge by car or what?
Reply 97
Hi there King's people... just wondering if any of you can offer me any information on what the accommodation is like? I'm trying to get to the open day on the 24th Sept. but it's looking like i won't be able to make it.

I've heard some stories of ancient rooms with fireplaces, or private studies. Is this true? Whats the worst kind of room at Kings? Do many rooms have en-suite facilities? (i know any en-suite rooms are the more modern rooms)

I'm just looking for some info on the standard of accommodation at Kings. I can't find any pictures anywhere sadly, and if i can't make the open day i'll be pretty much applying 'blind'. Thanks for your time :smile:

dan
Reply 98
Just wondered if anyone else has been hearing the rumours that Kings is getting rid of all hobs/ovens in college or if anyone knows how true this is?

I'm rather panicked about it as I never eat in hall and having to survive without a hob when I stay with my bf in Caius has been awful! Surely they'd have to give us some notice about such a major change in the facilities right?

Then again, what am I saying, it is John Buckley :mad:
Reply 99
zazu
Just wondered if anyone else has been hearing the rumours that Kings is getting rid of all hobs/ovens in college or if anyone knows how true this is?

I'm rather panicked about it as I never eat in hall and having to survive without a hob when I stay with my bf in Caius has been awful! Surely they'd have to give us some notice about such a major change in the facilities right?

Then again, what am I saying, it is John Buckley :mad:

He's "Left the college" though! Bronarch is replacing him for the time being. Interesting email about getting rid of EPOS too. If they get rid of the hobs I'll actually scream. *****.

Where did you hear this? Is this for Keynes, Market, Garden or college-wide? I can sense protests...

EDIT: part of an email i got from janet luff about medic resits etc:
In order to confirm your return to college and arrange your accommodation,
please contact Bronach James who is acting Accommodation Officer since John
Buckley has left the college
. Her email is ****@cam.ac.uk

Quick Reply

Latest