The Student Room Group

Any a level choice regrets?

Scroll to see replies

I was told by everyone to do Maths despite not being passionate about it. I got an A at GCSE, but when I did it at AS I got a U, despite lots of hard work and an extra tutor...I was definitely better suited to the humanities!
Economics is so hard but it is interesting, unit 4 is screwing my life over :frown:
Original post by Aeneas11
I was told by everyone to do Maths despite not being passionate about it. I got an A at GCSE, but when I did it at AS I got a U, despite lots of hard work and an extra tutor...I was definitely better suited to the humanities!

A U in AS maths when you got an A at GCSE!? Damn, be glad you never got to see A2 maths lol
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
A U in AS maths when you got an A at GCSE!? Damn, be glad you never got to see A2 maths lol

Yeah tell me about it! I re-did Y12 with all essay subjects and I'm now predicted all A's - big difference haha ... i'm glad for the change!
Original post by Aeneas11
Yeah tell me about it! I re-did Y12 with all essay subjects and I'm now predicted all A's - big difference haha ... i'm glad for the change!

I'm the total opposite, hate essays with a passion, gotta love maths and physics :cool:
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
I'm the total opposite, hate essays with a passion, gotta love maths and physics :cool:

Oh god no, that's my worst nightmare haha. To each his own :wink:
Original post by Bustamove
There's no real way to go about it... what ever you choose, you can never be certain of the future... you may be interested in medicine now, but who knows if you'll have the same enthusiasm a year on, or 5 years on? rest of your life?

Another advice I'll give to you is not the pursue something just because you are pressured into it. This comes especially to ASIAN PARENTS... yes they want you to succeed, but there isn't just one route to success (especially if it's a route that you don't enjoy). Another one is friends, all because a lot of your friends are doing similar subjects to each other does not mean you should follow their path. (this hasn't been the case for me, but it happens to people.)

I know so many people who have been pressured, pressured by their parents into taking medicine and law or pressured by friends to do A-levels because most of their friends are doing it. Both causes ended with the student doing really bad, because they have no interest in the actual subjects and wind up being unhappy.

You have to sit down and think hard about what you want to do. Think about what you're actually interested in and if you're still not sure, don't choose A-levels that are just mainly specialized to a certain field. I'd recommend doing A-levels that are generally applicable like maths. Then for your fourth A-level choice, choose something easy and enjoyable.
(remember, you can drop a A-level in year 13)

I've seen so many people get into unviersities like UCL, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Imperial, russel group unis by doing 2 subjects that are actually related to their course in someway, and then the last subject something so piss easy.
e.g. Maths, economics, Business studies
Bio, Chem, music
Maths, Chem, Sociology
History, Economics, Business studies

just do the subjects you actually need for the course you're applying to and make sure your last subject is a chilled one. A-levels is a massive step up from GCSEs, no need to burden yourself with hard subjects that you don't need what so ever..

ahh thanks so much to the advice it's really helpful!! I'm in L6 now and have wanted to go into medicine for ages just because I enjoy helping others and enjoy the thought of it - like work experience was awesome ahaha but it's just grades that are stressing me out :/
Reply 47
Original post by youreanutter
what did u get at gcse for maths and science and whats wrong with economics

For Maths, A and statistics, B. For core science, B. For additional science, C. Economics required a lot of writing, which I'm not particularly good at. I'm more to the point person but economics requires a lot of detail and explanation.
Original post by Jubz1
For Maths, A and statistics, B. For core science, B. For additional science, C. Economics required a lot of writing, which I'm not particularly good at. I'm more to the point person but economics requires a lot of detail and explanation.

what subjects do u do now and what are u getting
Regret taking applied science so much
Reply 50
Original post by geeky_penguin
Regret taking applied science so much

Applied science? is it like a combination of bio/phy/chem? :O

I'm currently taking further maths, chemistry, physics and economics and I really regret taking economics instead of biology! It is next to useless in my opinion (even LSE doesn't require a level economics!) and a friend of mine told me they covered a level economics in a week in uni (to make sure everyone-- including non-a level economists are on the same page!)
Original post by Lkathryn08
I hate a-level biology at both AS and A2, I just find it a bit tedious and boring and the ISAs are the most annoying part of the course. I got an A* at GCSE and an A at AS, I'm good at it but I hate it. The only reason I carried on is because it was my best mark last year and I need it for uni. Sigh.

Same. :P I hate OCR with a passion. Maybe AQA biology would've been better but I need it for uni as well.
Reply 52
Original post by youreanutter
what subjects do u do now and what are u getting

I did economics, got a B but dropped it due to amount of work it requires. A highly demanding but even more rewarding subject.

I currently do Maths, F Maths and ICT. Well what I get is a different story lol, it depends on how much work I put in. Sometimes I put in a lot or very little. When I try, usually around B/A. If I don't revise, around D/E.
I regret taking Physics. It was fun to learn, but too much stress at exam time when I realised I wasn't particularly good at it. I got a B at GCSE, and a D at AS.

Probably should have taken Further Maths, Gov & Pol, or not dropped French within the first two weeks (I didn't like the teacher)

Quick Reply

Latest