The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by claireestelle
Give moor lane and walker street a call about 2 beds maybe? they should probably have some left at this point.
I can understand your fear of sharing a kitchen, it was a bit of a shock to me. I think you could easily get something within that budget

Thank you! Coming over next week so making appointments to see places when I'm over :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Do you know anything about Lawson Halls?
Original post by Blovesdreamies
Do you know anything about Lawson Halls?

I do know a little but havent ever been in them, i just walk past them on my way to uni a lot:smile:
If i m right its a couple of very tall blocks and they are a little out of campus than some others but when i say this i mean their like say 10 mins walk from the blue/purple zones whereas say moor lane,iq,walker street and whitendale are directly on campus really.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uclan/sets/72157645556026976/

this includes some photos off if you ve not already seen them , i would say if thats the one you ve been allocated then arguably some of the private hall options could be better value for money if not better especially if you end up in a 7 bed flat but then thats my opinion
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uclan/sets/72157645556026976/

this includes some photos off if you ve not already seen them , i would say if thats the one you ve been allocated then arguably some of the private hall options could be better value for money if not better especially if you end up in a 7 bed flat but then thats my opinion

No never seen them, but was told it was a 4 bed flat, but on the 8th floor!. Problem with private was Walker Street had very little left and didn't think they had anything left that would be suitable - its my daughter, not me, and she wanted somewhere smaller and quieter (not a clubber or big drinker). Private ones she spoke to all tried to sell her the party lifestyle, and said it would be pot luck who you end up sharing with. Yes she could pick a room, but that was it. She is 21 and Uclan have said she would be placed with others her age. Its such a difficult decision for her - and thats not her strong point ha ha.
No never seen them, but was told it was a 4 bed flat, but on the 8th floor!. Problem with private was Walker Street had very little left and didn't think they had anything left that would be suitable - its my daughter, not me, and she wanted somewhere smaller and quieter (not a clubber or big drinker). Private ones she spoke to all tried to sell her the party lifestyle, and said it would be pot luck who you end up sharing with. Yes she could pick a room, but that was it. She is 21 and Uclan have said she would be placed with others her age. Its such a difficult decision for her - and thats not her strong point ha ha.

I could understand that, i was 18 in first year, however i m not a partying person at all.I lived in moor lane and people did like to have parties, however you could call security after 11pm to make them quiten down.
The only advantage to private is that switching rooms could be easier as since every uclan one would be full they only allow swaps in pretty bad circumstances.
Did they uclan not mention pendle hall to your daughter? Pendle has 2 bed flats only which would suit someone who was worried about the maturity of the people they were sharing with?
As for the age thing, i was actually put with 21,22,23 year olds in 1st year, lets just say i was way more mature than them
As for the age thing, i was actually put with 21,22,23 year olds in 1st year, lets just say i was way more mature than them

She put Boatmans/Bowan and Pendle down, but got allocated Lawson.

A lady from Liberty Village was really helpful, so may try them - know anything about it?
She put Boatmans/Bowan and Pendle down, but got allocated Lawson.

A lady from Liberty Village was really helpful, so may try them - know anything about it?

Ah i see
I know a few course mates that stayed there and they seemed to be happy:smile:
I m aware all their flats are double beds which most uni accomodation doesnt appear to offer, i think liberty village will try to put people in by age or gender if you ask it seems and i think liberty village is one hall which has 24 security
Ah i see
I know a few course mates that stayed there and they seemed to be happy:smile:
I m aware all their flats are double beds which most uni accomodation doesnt appear to offer, i think liberty village will try to put people in by age or gender if you ask it seems and i think liberty village is one hall which has 24 security

Thank you - sounds good. I think she is planning on going over Sunday for a mooch around, Its just against the clock now before she has to decide on Lawson or not, as the case may be.
Thank you - sounds good. I think she is planning on going over Sunday for a mooch around, Its just against the clock now before she has to decide on Lawson or not, as the case may be.

Good idea:smile: i d say check out the location of all of the halls might help with a decision:smile: what subject is she studying? theres is a 20 min walk from one end of campus to the other
Good idea:smile: i d say check out the location of all of the halls might help with a decision:smile: what subject is she studying? theres is a 20 min walk from one end of campus to the other

Pretty much everything is going to be based at Livesey House so Walker Street, Liberty Village are pretty close I think. Others would be Brunel or Leighton Halls, but not read many good things about those.

It is such a huge decision for you all because once you sign the contract your locked in. I am so glad its not me going through all this ha ha.
As above:smile:
I ve been at uclan for two years and staying for another 3 to do nursing, hope to answer any questions on your minds about uclan , so ask away :smile:

i'm not too sure if you'll know but, do UCLAN offer Medicine to UK students or is it just international?

If it's the latter, do you know why at all?

thank you!

x
Original post by jones10
i'm not too sure if you'll know but, do UCLAN offer Medicine to UK students or is it just international?

If it's the latter, do you know why at all?

thank you!

x

I heard its only international, something to do with fees and the GMC apparently
Pretty much everything is going to be based at Livesey House so Walker Street, Liberty Village are pretty close I think. Others would be Brunel or Leighton Halls, but not read many good things about those.

It is such a huge decision for you all because once you sign the contract your locked in. I am so glad its not me going through all this ha ha.

Walker is only a couple of minutes from livesey so a good option. It certainly is I wanted to get out of a contract a month or two early but in the end just ended up having to pay. Glad i dont live in student accommodation anymore really
Hi there,

This is really random, I start dentistry in September, and I have started thinking about buying a more portable laptop like the mac book air or a tablet like the microsoft surface to make notes in lectures. Apparently we are given a tablet, and I'm assuming the nurses also get one too, I was wondering which tablet were you given, and is it okay to make notes on? I just thought I should probably know before I go out and buy a new one :smile:

Thank you :smile:
As above:smile:
I ve been at uclan for two years and staying for another 3 to do nursing, hope to answer any questions on your minds about uclan , so ask away :smile:

Out if interest, what A levels did you do?
Original post by BiomedDentist
Hi there,

This is really random, I start dentistry in September, and I have started thinking about buying a more portable laptop like the mac book air or a tablet like the microsoft surface to make notes in lectures. Apparently we are given a tablet, and I'm assuming the nurses also get one too, I was wondering which tablet were you given, and is it okay to make notes on? I just thought I should probably know before I go out and buy a new one :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Not sure where you heard that from but wasn't given a tablet at any point,not sure where uclan would get the money from
Original post by German123
Out if interest, what A levels did you do?

Biology
Chem
Business
Biology
Chem
Business

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get and do you hvave to do Biology A level to become a nurse?

Latest

Trending

Trending