The Student Room Group

Passion and enthusiasm - what does it mean?

Hi all

in response to many questions one has read that in your Personal Statement (and in the interview if you are called for one), OxBridge would look for evidence of passion and enthusiasm for your subject. I am studying physics chemistry maths and further maths in AS and will carry all 4 forward to A2. I am thinking of either natural sciences or chemistry, based on how my AS goes off. I would like your views of what OxBridge would see as possible examples of passion / enthusiasm for the subject. In the summer I will be doing a 2 week stint in the R&D centre of one of the world's most famous consumer goods companies. I also read the books recommended by my professors on the subjects. What else to demonstrate passion and enthusiasm? Your views and thoughts would greatly help. Thank you
Original post by Knotsandcrosses
Hi all

in response to many questions one has read that in your Personal Statement (and in the interview if you are called for one), OxBridge would look for evidence of passion and enthusiasm for your subject. I am studying physics chemistry maths and further maths in AS and will carry all 4 forward to A2. I am thinking of either natural sciences or chemistry, based on how my AS goes off. I would like your views of what OxBridge would see as possible examples of passion / enthusiasm for the subject. In the summer I will be doing a 2 week stint in the R&D centre of one of the world's most famous consumer goods companies. I also read the books recommended by my professors on the subjects. What else to demonstrate passion and enthusiasm? Your views and thoughts would greatly help. Thank you

Hi,

Great to hear your thinking of Oxbridge and thinking of sciences. Passion and enthusiasm means that you can talk about why you want to study the course, not just that you're good at sciences and couldn't think of anything better to do. Work experience is one possible way of doing this, though this is by no means essential. Extra reading above and beyond the school curriculum is another excellent way of doing this. A number of Cambridge colleges tweet resources relevant to students considering our courses under the #ExploreYourSubject hashtag.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending