The Student Room Group

withdraw from ucas?

i sent my ucas in in november applying for history, got 2 offers which i wouldn't take anyway, and then i changed courses to english, but sent in a really bad PS because i did it in a rush, and i doubt i'll expect any offers (ones i would consider that i applied to are bristol, ucl and edinburgh), so not much chance. and also if i get 3 As at A2 which i'm working towards i'll apply to oxford where i REALLY want to go. i can't really be assed now to keep the ucas going for this year. would it be better to withdraw and just apply knowing what i want to do and to oxford if i get the grades next year, or just stay applied at the moment in the hope i may get an offer from somewhere which i'll turn down anyway if i get the grades?
Not worth withdrawing after all those hardwork though. It's your decision anyway - think about it carefully.
Reply 2
skyrider007
Not worth withdrawing after all those hardwork though. It's your decision anyway - think about it carefully.

yeh i know but i just dont see the point. if i withdraw now unis wont remember me by the next time i apply. i dont know if i've chosen my courses right. and above all i didnt apply to oxford which i really wanted to do. i'm having a gap year anyway and am in the country till jan hopefully so will be here to do it all. my PS is so bad though edinburgh wont give me an offer, ucl wont, and bristol hardly take any for deferred entry.
Reply 3
Ultimately, it's up to you. However, the fact that you switched courses makes me think that you might need to take some time to decide what you really want to do. Remember that an offer is legally binding once you accept it - so you can't reject an accepted uni if you get straight As on results day. But remember, at the end of the day, decisions are yours to make on your own and what people say on a forum isn't that relevant.
Reply 4
Pippak
Ultimately, it's up to you. However, the fact that you switched courses makes me think that you might need to take some time to decide what you really want to do. Remember that an offer is legally binding once you accept it - so you can't reject an accepted uni if you get straight As on results day. But remember, at the end of the day, decisions are yours to make on your own and what people say on a forum isn't that relevant.

Of course you can...they're not going to force you to go there if you don't want to!! I held on to a place at Exeter until results day just incase I screwed up my A-levels and rejected them when the confirmation slip came through. You just withdraw from UCAS.. it's as easy as that.

To the OP - you may as well just hold onto any offers you get until you know whether you get the requisite AAA for Oxford. If Bristol or UCL offer you a place they could still accept you if you marginally miss the grades - therefore it's worth just seeing what happens.
Reply 5
You can withdraw from UCAS on results day. It's the only thing you're officially allowed to do other than go there.
You've got nothing to lose by hanging on to your application for now. If you get an offer from Bristol, UCL or Edinburgh, you can accept that and then see what happens on results day. If you get AAA and really want to apply to Oxford, you can just withdraw from UCAS, but if you don't, or you decide you'd be happy with one of the above three, you can accept the offer and go there. Alternatively, if you don't get an offer from any of those three and wouldn't be happy going anywhere else, you can either try for a place through Extra or Clearing or withdraw from UCAS.
Reply 7
I wouldnt bother withdrawing yet. If you really want to, do it after you get your grades... just phone your firm and say that you would like to be released.
Reply 8
ok. i haven't withdrawn and i think i'll probably keep it that way.

Latest

Trending

Trending