The Student Room Group

Muslim migrants threw Christians overboard

Rome (CNN)Muslims who were among migrants trying to get from Libya to Italy in a boat this week threw 12 fellow passengers overboard -- killing them -- because the 12 were Christians, Italian police said Thursday.

Italian authorities have arrested 15 people on suspicion of murdering the Christians at sea, police in Palermo, Sicily, said.

Why migrants are dying to get to Italy

The original group of 105 people left Libya on Tuesday in a rubber boat. Sometime during the trip north across the Mediterranean Sea, the alleged assailants -- Muslims from the Ivory Coast, Mali and Senegal -- threw the 12 overboard, police said.

Other people on the voyage told police that they themselves were spared "because they strongly opposed the drowning attempt and formed a human chain," Palermo police said.

The boat was intercepted by an Italian navy vessel, which transferred the passengers to a Panamanian-flagged ship. That ship docked in Palermo on Wednesday, after which the arrests were made, police said.

'I enter Europe or I die': Desperate migrants rescued this week off Italy

The 12 who died were from Nigeria and Ghana, police said.

Thousands of people each year make the dangerous sea journey from North Africa to Europe's Mediterranean coast, often aboard vessels poorly equipped for the trip. Many of them attempt the voyage to flee war and poverty in Africa and the Middle East.

More than 10,000 people have arrived on Italian shores from Libya since last weekend alone, according to the Italian coast guard.

Many die each year while attempting the voyage, often when boats capsized. Last year at least 3,200 died trying to make the trip. Since 2000, according to the International Organization for Migration, almost 22,000 people have died fleeing across the Mediterranean.

The IOM reported Thursday the latest boat to sink in trying to make the journey. Only four people survived from the original 45 on board, bringing the estimated death toll so far this year close to a thousand.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/europe/italy-migrants-christians-thrown-overboard/
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do they let them in? Just shoot the boats down, the sea will take care of them
that's not very multicultural of them
Reply 3
Wow.
they did realise they were going to ITALY didn't they ?

not much forethought here
(edited 9 years ago)
Illegally migrating to one of the most pious Christian nations in the world; kills Christians on la voyage. None of these people should be allowed into Europe anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Murdering savages.

Time for more Crusades I reckon. Yet again Christianity must assert itself in the face of the rise of fundamentalist Islamic barbarism.
http://www.medievalwarfare.info/photos/acre.jpg.pagespeed.ce.ZMg51z13QJ.jpg

Why Europe is allowing the invasion of all these illegals is irrational. The navies of Europe should be preventing them from getting anywhere near their international waters. Declare war on these criminal boat traffickers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Jean Raspail predicted this in his 70's novel 'The camp of the saints'

In it, he predicted Europe would be overrun by the masses of the third world because Europe was paralysed by a suicidal moralism. The book was supposed to be a satire but sadly it's come true.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Camp_of_the_Saints
Reply 8
Just deport them. If you arrest them, they stay in the country and that creates all sorts of problems.

Looks interesting; I thought I had all (post) apocalypse novels down, but apparently not.
for ****'s sake
"More than 10,000 people have arrived on Italian shores from Libya since last weekend alone"

Goodness me how can they possibly cope with such numbers. Half a million a year.good job the English channel is so choppy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending