The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Does NHS cover gender reassignment surgery?

I can't find much information about this and I'm wondering if the NHS pays for everything when it comes to sex changes. Some articles say they cover certain drugs and hormone therapy, some surgeries but not others.

I know you folk aren't experts on NHS but just wondering if I can get any answers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Takes a lot of seeing psyhcologists and the like but yes they cover everything, surgery and hormones but you have to wait a year for surgery
Original post by Treeroy
is there an ignore function on this forum...

There is an option to block people
Original post by Treeroy
is there an ignore function on this forum...

This is the nhs suggested guidelines , from page 13 it says all their guidelines for reassignment surgeries but you re right some take two years, however you can take hormones and some surgical options much sooner

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Transhealth/Documents/gender-dysphoria-guide-for-gps-and-other-health-care-staff.pdf
Original post by claireestelle
So someones mental health is a joke to you?
I presume you have no idea how high the suicide rate is in the country and you are telling someone to shoot themselves, 50% of transgender people attempt it but i presume you didnt care that people take their own lives over "jokes" suchs as yours

You can't put all the blame on other people. When it comes down to it the responsibility is with the person who chose to kill themselves. Some people go through absolute tragedies and live on, some people get called names on the internet and kill themselves. Not saying that encouraging suicide is good or anything, just that you shouldn't blame other people for a person's unfortunate weakness. Frankly, killing yourself because someone told you to is completely idiotic. Some people actually end their lives for decent reasons.
Original post by Protégé
You can't put all the blame on other people. When it comes down to it the responsibility is with the person who chose to kill themselves. Some people go through absolute tragedies and live on, some people get called names on the internet and kill themselves. Not saying that encouraging suicide is good or anything, just that you shouldn't blame other people for a person's unfortunate weakness. Frankly, killing yourself because someone told you to is completely idiotic. Some people actually end their lives for decent reasons.

You see mental illness as weakness?
Reply 6
This is the nhs suggested guidelines , from page 13 it says all their guidelines for reassignment surgeries but you re right some take two years, however you can take hormones and some surgical options much sooner

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Transhealth/Documents/gender-dysphoria-guide-for-gps-and-other-health-care-staff.pdf

Original post by Protégé

shut up. this is not about being called names on the internet.
Original post by Treeroy

No problem:smile: consult your gp and do whats best for you:smile:
You see mental illness as weakness?

It is a weakness, doesn't neccessarily mean that it's a person's fault that they are weak in some aspects. It's certainly not positive and it's detrimental to a person, therefore it's a weakness.

Original post by Treeroy

Stop being a moron, my post wasn't about you at all.
Original post by Protégé
It is a weakness, doesn't neccessarily mean that it's a person's fault that they are weak in some aspects. It's certainly not positive and it's detrimental to a person, therefore it's a weakness.

Stop being a moron, my post wasn't about you at all.

I m sorry that you have that belief as i completely disagree but as i m about to train as a mental health nurse and part of the jobs to fight the stigmatisation of weakness which prevents people from getting them the help they need because people think they are "weak". sure mental illness is a negative thing but using that sort of wording can worsen someones health
I m sorry that you have that belief as i completely disagree but as i m about to train as a mental health nurse and part of the jobs to fight the stigmatisation of weakness which prevents people from getting them the help they need because people think they are "weak". sure mental illness is a negative thing but using that sort of wording can worsen someones health

The truth is the truth, mental illness is a weakness, same way a tooth ache is weakness, nothing about stigmatisation. If somebody is unable to admit that they should look at their pride.

That sort of wording? So the word is just too harsh, is that it? It's a weakness, whether people like it or not. There's no need to sugar coat it. It's a weakness in life to be mentally ill, like it's a weakness in the job market to be consistently late.

That isn't true in all cases, I thought that I was weak and it further motivated me to change myself.
Original post by Protégé
That sort of wording? So the word is just too harsh, is that it? It's a weakness, whether people like it or not. There's no need to sugar coat it. It's a weakness in life to be mentally ill, like it's a weakness in the job market to be consistently late.

That isn't true in all cases, I thought that I was weak and it further motivated me to change myself.

Yes its harsh wording as its something you cant prevent, you could prevent being late to something but can you prevent autism,psychosis and other similar mental illness and are weak for not being able to change those aspects of your biological make up, wouldnt say so.
i myself have mental disorders according to apa but can i fix them no, but i dont feel i have a weakness personally.
its not about sugar coating, its about having empathy and speaking positively to help someone, and thats all i have to say and will settle on agreeing to disagree in this case.
Yes its harsh wording as its something you cant prevent, you could prevent being late to something but can you prevent autism,psychosis and other similar mental illness and are weak for not being able to change those aspects of your biological make up, wouldnt say so.
i myself have mental disorders according to apa but can i fix them no, but i dont feel i have a weakness personally.
its not about sugar coating, its about having empathy and speaking positively to help someone, and thats all i have to say and will settle on agreeing to disagree in this case.

Depression is considered a mental illness but you can overcome that. Autism and psychopathy is a weakness in a person but I never said that it is their fault. It is a weakness but it's not something they could prevent. I don't consider autistic people weak. It's more about resilience and personality to me rather than biological factors. I consider people that have such disorders to have a weakness, not be weak. I consider people like Elliot Rodgers and Hitler weak though.

Erm, that is sugar coating. It's better to speak the truth.
If the transsexual dude commits suicide today CottageCheese you will probably get arrested for assisted suicide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
If the transsexual dude commits suicide today CottageCheese you will probably get arrested for assisted suicide

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, if you insult someone and afterwards they tell you they are suicidal, that isn't assisting or encouragment, its more guilt tripping than anything else.
Reply 16
NHS doesn't even offer a lobectomy to an infant suffering from a congenital lobar emphysema.
Here's a proper idea: Book an appointment with your local GP and discuss your options with regards to gender reassignment surgery with a professional doctor.

OR

Contact an established LGBT organization/group who'll probably have alot of experience in dealing with a whole range of gender reassignment issues and queries in relation to the NHS. They may also have members who have gone through the same process you find yourself in who can offer practical and emotional support.

DON'T

Post your problem on TSR expecting serious responses 8 of of 10 times. You should be asking the relevant people who can really help you.
Playing Devil's advocate - if the NHS is as underfunded as everyone keeps claiming it is, why should it provide free gender reassignment surgery which isn't, strictly speaking, medically necessary?
Reply 19
Original post by Duncan2012
Playing Devil's advocate - if the NHS is as underfunded as everyone keeps claiming it is, why should it provide free gender reassignment surgery which isn't, strictly speaking, medically necessary?

So tomorrow if someone runs you over when you're crossing the street, and you get a broken leg. You ain't gonna die from a broken leg, you can, "strictly speaking", live without it. NHS shouldn't help you right?

NHS helps EVERYONE you moron. Doesn't matter why you need medical help, if you need it then you get it. Why shouldn't mental health be treated on the NHS?

Latest

Trending

Trending