The Student Room Group

Favourite Christian Author/Book

I was just wondering if people had any good recommendations for any good Christian books that I could read (Bible aside :tongue:) or any authors that they like?

I currently enjoy reading Timothy Keller and C S Lewis but I am looking to find some others who write books in a similar vein.

Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Not necessarily similar, but I would recommend possibly reading some of the popular works of Daniel B Wallace. For example, "Reinventing Jesus" or "Dethroning Jesus". He has also written a number of good books on Koine Greek grammar as well, but I doubt you would want to read those :mmm: If you want to know what he writes about in general, I would recommend watching one of the videos of his on youtube to get an idea :yep:

[video="youtube;6lEmch2OAhs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEmch2OAhs[/video]
Chesterton and Meister Eckhart. I prefer Eckhart, what a man. I'm not a Christian though, so you may not like my suggestions.
Tim Keller and CS Lewis are both great - I'm reading Tim Keller's Every Good Endeavour at the moment, and am planning to read The Weight of Glory by CS Lewis soon. Are you wanting to read about certain things? I read quite a lot of Christian books, so can recommend some things that you are interested in. Vaughan Roberts has written a lot of good books - I recently read God's Big Picture which is an excellent overview of the bible.
The 12 apostles.
There's one I read a few years ago that's meant to be good - I think it's called 'The Shed'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by boods8897
There's one I read a few years ago that's meant to be good - I think it's called 'The Shed'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean 'The Shack'?
Reply 7
Original post by randdom
I was just wondering if people had any good recommendations for any good Christian books that I could read (Bible aside :tongue:) or any authors that they like?

I currently enjoy reading Timothy Keller and C S Lewis but I am looking to find some others who write books in a similar vein.

Any suggestions?

The reviews for this look good though I haven't read it yet

'Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God'

A powerful book is 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie ten Boom. She tells her story of the miracles of God whilst in a concentration camp during WWII.

Other entertaining books but still at the same time revealing God's grace are Les Miserables and errhm 'Lord of the Rings' :tongue:

Lee Strobel and Philip Yancey are both great Christian authors too.
Reply 8
Ted Dekker - Has anyone read any of this guys books?

http://teddekker.com/
Reply 9
Original post by mespannerhanz
Tim Keller and CS Lewis are both great - I'm reading Tim Keller's Every Good Endeavour at the moment, and am planning to read The Weight of Glory by CS Lewis soon. Are you wanting to read about certain things? I read quite a lot of Christian books, so can recommend some things that you are interested in. Vaughan Roberts has written a lot of good books - I recently read God's Big Picture which is an excellent overview of the bible.

I enjoy books which challenge me and help me grow. I found counterfeit gods really challenging but I felt I came out of it the other end with a better understanding. I haven't read Every Good Endeavour but will have a look!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Reply 10
Original post by boods8897

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Racoon
Do you mean 'The Shack'?

I remember reading that when I first became a Christian. It is an interesting one, when I was very new in my faith I found it extremely helpful and moving. It might be interesting for me to re-read it nowo and see what I feel now.
Original post by Racoon
Do you mean 'The Shack'?

That's sounds more like it! I can't really remember the story any more - I don't really think I was old enough to understand what was going on properly when I read it.
Original post by Racoon
The reviews for this look good though I haven't read it yet

'Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God'

A powerful book is 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie ten Boom. She tells her story of the miracles of God whilst in a concentration camp during WWII.

Other entertaining books but still at the same time revealing God's grace are Les Miserables and errhm 'Lord of the Rings' :tongue:

Lee Strobel and Philip Yancey are both great Christian authors too.

I have heard great things about Francis Chan's Crazy Love - my brother has read it (it must be good for him to finish it!) although I haven't yet read it myself.

There are some brilliant autobiographies out there - Corrie Ten Boom is great, as is Jackie Pullinger's Chasing the Dragon about her mission work with drug addicts in Hong Kong. David Wilkerson's the Cross and the Switchblade, and Nicky Cruz' Run Baby Run are both really good. These are two books telling the same story of Nicky Cruz's story from gang leader to Christian from two sides - Wilkerson was the pastor.

I've read Lee Strobel's Case for Christ - really good if you are wanting to get to grips with some of the historical, archaeological and scientific evidence for Christianity. Written by a journalist, it is very helpful for non-Christians/sceptics as well. Tim Keller's The Reason for God, and King's Cross are also both good on this front.

If you fancy something a bit more academic/theologically challenging, Krish Kandiah's Paradoxology is another to recommend - all about the apparent paradoxes/contradictions in our faith, with chapter titles such as the God who wins when he loses, the God who demands nothing but expects everything, the God who determines our free will.

If you want more about Christian living, I can recommend Holiness by JC Ryle. A very challenging read - written in 1880s English, with lots of thees, thys, thous, etc, but once you get your head around the style of writing it is excelent. Have heard great things also about the Hole in our Holiness (Kevin De Young).
My natural suggestions are overtly Catholic, so perhaps not worth mentioning here, but will put in a shameless plug for my good evangelical Protestant friend, Dr Vince Vitale, a philosophy/theology don at Oxford. He's recently co-written this book: http://rzim.org/whysuffering Due to general inability to read things, I haven't read it yet but he's a very genuine and thoughtful, considerate man and so I recommend the book to you all in good faith that you will find it interesting/helpful in tackling this tough topic :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by mespannerhanz
I have heard great things about Francis Chan's Crazy Love - my brother has read it (it must be good for him to finish it!) although I haven't yet read it myself.

There are some brilliant autobiographies out there - Corrie Ten Boom is great, as is Jackie Pullinger's Chasing the Dragon about her mission work with drug addicts in Hong Kong. David Wilkerson's the Cross and the Switchblade, and Nicky Cruz' Run Baby Run are both really good. These are two books telling the same story of Nicky Cruz's story from gang leader to Christian from two sides - Wilkerson was the pastor.

I've read Lee Strobel's Case for Christ - really good if you are wanting to get to grips with some of the historical, archaeological and scientific evidence for Christianity. Written by a journalist, it is very helpful for non-Christians/sceptics as well. Tim Keller's The Reason for God, and King's Cross are also both good on this front.

If you fancy something a bit more academic/theologically challenging, Krish Kandiah's Paradoxology is another to recommend - all about the apparent paradoxes/contradictions in our faith, with chapter titles such as the God who wins when he loses, the God who demands nothing but expects everything, the God who determines our free will.

If you want more about Christian living, I can recommend Holiness by JC Ryle. A very challenging read - written in 1880s English, with lots of thees, thys, thous, etc, but once you get your head around the style of writing it is excelent. Have heard great things also about the Hole in our Holiness (Kevin De Young).

Thank you, always good to have recommendations :smile:
Perhaps a very unusual suggestion... but I can recommend horror writer Dean Koontz. One novel to start with might be From The Corner of His Eye. Others I can recommend are One Door Away From Heaven and Strangers.

Despite being horror novels/thrillers, there are Christian themes running through the novels. For example, in Strangers, there is a priest rediscovering his faith. :smile:
Reply 16
Tim Keller- Reason for God; Prodigal Gods
C.S Lewis- Mere Christianity; Screwtape Letters
John Lennox- Has Science Buried God?; Seven Days that Divide the World
Allister McGrath- The Richard Dawkins Delusion
Reply 17
If anyone wants a 'boost' in their faith can I recommend Joyce Meyers.:smile:

'Living beyond your feelings' is good.
I loved reading "Treasures of the snow" when I was younger, I haven't read it in a while, but I think it's made a lasting impact on my life! (Btw, it's by Patricia St John)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm only half way through reading run baby run (nicki cruz) as it got put on the side when it went to soul survivor last year, but it's so good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending