The Student Room Group

Homebase notice period

I currently work at homebase and have had another job offer, I need to start ASAP, so what is my notice period if I am a temporary instalment in there store and only do part time work, I've been told 1 week, 2 weeks, or four weeks, but if they were going to be getting rid of me anyway for being temporary and I don't have a contract what is my notice period?
Original post by Lau97
I currently work at homebase and have had another job offer, I need to start ASAP, so what is my notice period if I am a temporary instalment in there store and only do part time work, I've been told 1 week, 2 weeks, or four weeks, but if they were going to be getting rid of me anyway for being temporary and I don't have a contract what is my notice period?

If you haven't signed a contract then you have no enforceable notice period. Speak to your manager and explain the situation, it's courtesy to ask him/her how much notice they require (if any) and tell them you're on your way to another job.
Original post by Lau97

It should state it within your contract. Did they give you a copy?

If you can't find it, then take this advice:

You must give your employer 1 week’s notice if you want to leave your job and you’ve worked for them for 1 month or more.
(https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice-resigning-leaving-job)

In my last two jobs, I gave immediate notice and they didn't mind. If you really need to leave ASAP, tell them you would like to give your immediate notice and see if they accept it. If they're not happy about it you may have to honor whatever notice period is stipulated in your contract. I suppose it varies from place to place, but as I say - I've not had a problem with resigning with immediate notice. In fact, in my last job I told them over the phone and wasn't even requested to put it in writing.

So the official line is, honor your contract, but in reality - it depends on the company. So tell you manager you'd like to give immediate notice (tell them in person or over the phone) ask if they would like it in writing. They will either say 'Yes' or 'No, you have to give a weeks notice'.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1650
http://icover.org.uk/resignation-letter-with-immediate-effect/

Edit: as the poster above says, you don't have to give notice at all if you haven't signed a contract.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by IanDangerously
If you haven't signed a contract then you have no enforceable notice period. Speak to your manager and explain the situation, it's courtesy to ask him/her how much notice they require (if any) and tell them you're on your way to another job.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I've been worrying about this non-stop since yesterday, someone did tell me that but I've read on the internet that no matter what a person always has a contract, but the same person said that my argument would be that I did not have a written copy, does this mean I could hand them my notice today to say my last day is tomorrow?
Reply 4
Also should I mention in my resignation that my notice is short due to not having a contract?
Original post by Lau97
Thanks for the reply :smile: I've been worrying about this non-stop since yesterday, someone did tell me that but I've read on the internet that no matter what a person always has a contract, but the same person said that my argument would be that I did not have a written copy, does this mean I could hand them my notice today to say my last day is tomorrow?

It seems odd that you'd be working for a company like that without a contract. Did you not sign anything at the induction before you started the job stipulating your rate of pay, breaks, holidays etc? :eek:

You can resign effective immediately but you're less likely to get a reference from them in the future, and you'll lose any entitlement to unclaimed holiday pay.
Reply 6
considering the company it is I think it's odd too, I did not sign a contract that I know of and if I did, I was certainly not given a copy of it.
But I am only temporary staff installed for peak period, so therefore does the notice period apply if I'm only a temp? I read online that I do not have to if I'm a temp.
Holiday's not a bother to me :smile: If I'm temporary I doubt I had any in the first place :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It should state it within your contract. Did they give you a copy?

If you can't find it, then take this advice:

(https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice-resigning-leaving-job)

In my last two jobs, I gave immediate notice and they didn't mind. If you really need to leave ASAP, tell them you would like to give your immediate notice and see if they accept it. If they're not happy about it you may have to honor whatever notice period is stipulated in your contract. I suppose it varies from place to place, but as I say - I've not had a problem with resigning with immediate notice. In fact, in my last job I told them over the phone and wasn't even requested to put it in writing.

So the official line is, honor your contract, but in reality - it depends on the company. So tell you manager you'd like to give immediate notice (tell them in person or over the phone) ask if they would like it in writing. They will either say 'Yes' or 'No, you have to give a weeks notice'.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1650
http://icover.org.uk/resignation-letter-with-immediate-effect/

Edit: as the poster above says, you don't have to give notice at all if you haven't signed a contract.

As far as I am aware I do not have a contract, I do not remember signing one and do not currently have a copy of any written statement or contract. I was never told anything verbally either.
I transferred to the store I am currently at and they said that they could only employ me on a temporary basis for peak period.
I have had a thought occur though, if I ask them if I have holiday entitlements due to being employed temporarily, and they say no, it means they would be breaching a contract if I had one, or prove that ultimately I did not have one. Does this then mean I could do my last day tomorrow and be done with it?
Original post by Lau97
As far as I am aware I do not have a contract, I do not remember signing one and do not currently have a copy of any written statement or contract. I was never told anything verbally either.
I transferred to the store I am currently at and they said that they could only employ me on a temporary basis for peak period.
I have had a thought occur though, if I ask them if I have holiday entitlements due to being employed temporarily, and they say no, it means they would be breaching a contract if I had one, or prove that ultimately I did not have one. Does this then mean I could do my last day tomorrow and be done with it?

If I were you, I would just give them immediate notice tomorrow. So long as you don't need a reference, I wouldn't worry about it. A company that can't even provide a copy of your contract probably doesn't care too much. Most places like Homebase have a high staff turnover and they can get people in to do the job pretty quickly. If this was something like a graduate job with a high salary then you most likely couldn't do this at all - but you're a Temp doing what is classed as low skilled work on (I assume) pretty low wages. Don't worry too much.
Reply 9
If I were you, I would just give them immediate notice tomorrow. So long as you don't need a reference, I wouldn't worry about it. A company that can't even provide a copy of your contract probably doesn't care too much. Most places like Homebase have a high staff turnover and they can get people in to do the job pretty quickly. If this was something like a graduate job with a high salary then you most likely couldn't do this at all - but you're a Temp doing what is classed as low skilled work on (I assume) pretty low wages. Don't worry too much.

Thanks :smile: You've made me feel a lot better :smile: I have a printed notice letter with tomorrow's date on, so that should be fine, I just have to answer any questions my manager try's to throw at me, still nervous for that though. :/
Original post by Lau97
Thanks :smile: You've made me feel a lot better :smile: I have a printed notice letter with tomorrow's date on, so that should be fine, I just have to answer any questions my manager try's to throw at me, still nervous for that though. :/

No worries. To be honest, you don't really need to. All you have to say is ''I have another job starting ASAP.'' If they ask why then tell them whatever your reasons are - you don't have to go in depth. Better pay/better location etc. At the end of the day, they're not lawyers - don't feel like you have to explain everything.
Reply 11
No worries. To be honest, you don't really need to. All you have to say is ''I have another job starting ASAP.'' If they ask why then tell them whatever your reasons are - you don't have to go in depth. Better pay/better location etc. At the end of the day, they're not lawyers - don't feel like you have to explain everything.

Okay, thanks :smile: That was really helpful :smile: hopefully I'll learn from this experience, and will one day be able to help someone in a similar situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending