The Student Room Group

Find a function

Hi everybody
I want to know what's the function of sinusoidal curve but with sharp peaks both positive and negative? In the other word, peaks (positive and negative) be as follows:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Thanks so much.
Original post by samsami
Hi everybody
I want to know what's the function of sinusoidal curve but with sharp peaks both positive and negative? In the other word, peaks (positive and negative) be as follows:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Thanks so much.

Your question doesn't make enough sense to give an answer. You tell us you want a sine curve, but with features that make it not a sine curve. Maybe you mean a sawtooth wave? Or do you mean that it's like a sine wave where all the "peaks" appear above the x-axis? That might be sinx|\sin x| or even sin2x\sin^2 x maybe.
1/2 i e^(-i x)-1/2 i e^(i x)
Reply 3
Original post by atsruser
Your question doesn't make enough sense to give an answer. You tell us you want a sine curve, but with features that make it not a sine curve. Maybe you mean a sawtooth wave? Or do you mean that it's like a sine wave where all the "peaks" appear above the x-axis? That might be sinx|\sin x| or even sin2x\sin^2 x maybe.

I mean sawtooth wave, please give an answer that what's the function of the sawtooth wave as distance of between teeth be "a" and height of ones be "b" as follows:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |b
_
a

Thank you so much.
Original post by samsami
I mean sawtooth wave, please give an answer that what's the function of the sawtooth wave as distance of between teeth be "a" and height of ones be "b" as follows:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |b
_
a

Thank you so much.

It's a piecewise continuous periodic function which you can express as the combination of two linear functions of the form y=2bax,y=2baxy = \frac{2b}{a}x, y=-\frac{2b}{a}x if I understand your picture correctly.

You should be able to figure out the details yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by atsruser
It's a piecewise continuous periodic function which you can express as the combination of two linear functions of the form y=2bax,y=2baxy = \frac{2b}{a}x, y=-\frac{2b}{a}x if I understand your picture correctly.

You should be able to figure out the details yourself.

Thank you so much for answering.

Quick Reply

Latest