Yes

easycar ?
Reply 21
No comment!
Ooooh, a famous case methinks!
Reply 23
chalks
No comment!

Can't be that difficult - it's the only ECJ case on 97/7 so far - and it's from the UK, and easycar "won" (insofar as you can win anything with a 234 reference). You said too much...
I'd call it winning - the UK courts are bound to follow the interpretation from a 234 reference aren't they?
cwtf
Can't be that difficult - it's the only ECJ case on 97/7 so far - and it's from the UK, and easycar "won" (insofar as you can win anything with a 234 reference). You said too much...

Or he hoped that some of the students who come on here would be too slow to guess. :smile:
Reply 26
Bugger. I thought there might have been some other cases on the DSRs since then.

Yep, I worked on this. High Court proceedings against OFT, followed by a ref to the ECJ. AGs opinion was against us (as were French and Spanish govts), but Court found in our favour and decided that car hire was a "transport service" and, therefore, exempted from the cooling off periods in the DSRs. If ECJ had found against us it would have had a huge impact on the ability of the client (and other online car hire businesses) to operate.

I'd call that a win.
Damn AGs, I hate reading their stuff!
Reply 28
(i) Domestic courts have to apply interpretation to facts of the case, so there is scope for departure (as happenend in some of the German litigation on the Doorstep Selling Directive). Admittedly tricky in this particular case because the question was central to the outcome and ECJ view was clear.

(ii) ... although the ECJ was clear on this, it was certainly not received with unanimous agreement by commentators.
Very little is received with unanimous approval from academics! Even if they agree, they write against it to keep their profile up :wink:. I would anyway.
Reply 30
Lewisy-boy
Very little is received with unanimous approval from academics! Even if they agree, they write against it to keep their profile up :wink:. I would anyway.

Such youthful sarcasm...
Well if they are at Hull, they have to do something to be noticed :wink:
Lewisy-boy

I would guess it would depend upon the personality of the academic concerned, quite possible that some of the nutty ones might :wink:
cwtf
Such youthful sarcasm...

'Youthful' one wonders. I think he has a good grasp. Life is not fair at the best of times and the world is full of idoits and misnomers. People are often motivated at by improper purposes
:tlt: um who can I argue against today, my gas bill needs paying and my salary won't cover it
Lol, maybe I would be one of the nutty ones then!
He, he! Well you have good motives, i.e keeping your profile up. I have met all sorts of bizzare and wonderful people in academia who might disagree for the sake of it because they enjoy bickering and attention seeking. LOL :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending