The Student Room Group

Visiting Japan soon, any advice?

I'm going to backpack in Japan soon. I'll be in Kobe, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Any advice/recommendations on where to go/what to do will be much appreciated! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I've been to Osaka and Kyoto. My advice - skip Osaka and get to Kyoto ASAP. The former is just a generic big city, albeit interesting as it's Japanese. Kyoto is wonderful - full of history and temples alongside shopping centres and hi-tech stores. Public transport is excellent (and lots of English signs), and the city is clean and crime free. Train staff bow to the carriages and arriving trains. And the seats spin round!

So many things I'd recommend - Kyoto castle with squeaky floors to catch spies; Gion district at night (see some Geisha if you're lucky); a hike in the hills around Kurama-Dera to the north; see monkeys up close in the monkey park in Arashiyama. You can see as many temples as you like - the Golden Pavilion is popular, but there are so many.

Try some interesting food if you're adventurous. I had raw octopus and tiny baby eels. Lots of more familiar things (sashimi, tempura, miso soup etc.) too. And some weird east/west mashups like "omurice" omelettes filled with rice.

I found English was not that widely spoken outside the young generation, but the people are extremely accommodating in helping out. When I arrived the airport, a clerk helped me buy train tickets for the whole two weeks I was there.

Nara and Tokyo are meant to be amazing too, but I didn't get there. Trekking up Mt Fuji would be wonderful I think if it's the right season.

Try to stay in a Ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn. And you must try an onsen, (very) hot water spa where you go in naked.

Learn how to bow!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by chazwomaq
I've been to Osaka and Kyoto. My advice - skip Osaka and get to Kyoto ASAP. The former is just a generic big city, albeit interesting as it's Japanese. Kyoto is wonderful - full of history and temples alongside shopping centres and hi-tech stores. Public transport is excellent (and lots of English signs), and the city is clean and crime free. Train staff bow to the carriages and arriving trains. And the seats spin round!

So many things I'd recommend - Kyoto castle with squeaky floors to catch spies; Gion district at night (see some Geisha if you're lucky); a hike in the hills around Kurama-Dera to the north; see monkeys up close in the monkey park in Arashiyama. You can see as many temples as you like - the Golden Pavilion is popular, but there are so many.

Try some interesting food if you're adventurous. I had raw octopus and tiny baby eels. Lots of more familiar things (sashimi, tempura, miso soup etc.) too. And some weird east/west mashups like "omurice" omelettes filled with rice.

I found English was not that widely spoken outside the young generation, but the people are extremely accommodating in helping out. When I arrived the airport, a clerk helped me buy train tickets for the whole two weeks I was there.

Nara and Tokyo are meant to be amazing too, but I didn't get there. Trekking up Mt Fuji would be wonderful I think if it's the right season.

Try to stay in a Ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn. And you must try and onsen, (very) hot water spa where you go in naked.

Learn how to bow!

Hey thanks for the reply! I've heard that Osaka is pretty boring, but my favourite architect has some of his most prominent works there so I'll still be going. I have a feeling I'm going to love Kyoto. Been hearing nothing but good things about it!

Thanks for the advice! Looking for a nice ryokan to book ASAP. Do you go in naked with other men? Was it awkward? 😅 Think I'll try that out too.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by archigram
Hey thanks for the reply! I've heard that Osaka is pretty boring, but my favourite architect has some of his most prominent works there so I'll still be going. I have a feeling I'm going to love Kyoto. Been hearing nothing but good things about it!

Thanks for the advice! Looking for a nice ryokan to book ASAP. Do you go in naked with other men? Was it awkward? Think I'll try that out too.

Thanks!
Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries.

Yeah, went in several Onsen naked (not the Ryokan. That would be weird). They weren't busy thankfully, sometimes just me. In fact, most of the time I was just with the friends I was with. Slightly awkward but no worse than showering after sport.

My wife and female friend chickened out and went in the onsen with bathing suits on. They got told off by the angry manager :biggrin:

You can also find foot onsen, where you put your feet in lovely hot water while you sit and drink a beer. Heaven.
Reply 4
No worries.

Yeah, went in several Onsen naked (not the Ryokan. That would be weird). They weren't busy thankfully, sometimes just me. In fact, most of the time I was just with the friends I was with. Slightly awkward but no worse than showering after sport.

My wife and female friend chickened out and went in the onsen with bathing suits on. They got told off by the angry manager :biggrin:

You can also find foot onsen, where you put your feet in lovely hot water while you sit and drink a beer. Heaven.

GOD I can't imagine so many naked men in one room. I'll still try it out for experience though.

Foot onsen sounds great! I'm so stoked for the trip. Thanks for the advice again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Dont forget to try takoyaki!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Men and women don't go in onsen together, just in case I wasn't clear.
I'm going to backpack in Japan soon. I'll be in Kobe, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Any advice/recommendations on where to go/what to do will be much appreciated! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you go to Osaka, then you have to try proper Osaka Okonomiyaki :biggrin: It's the best. I love Osaka - I wouldn't say it's boring! It has an amazing aquarium you should check out.

Kyoto is wonderful and chazwomaq has already given you great ideas. :smile:

Definitely go to a sento or an onsen - they're the best thing in the world. Medicine bath. :bath: So good! :blush: You'll be really missing out if you don't.

Tokyo - go to Harajuku on a Sunday to see the dressed up people. :smile:

Bring some little gifts with you from the UK to give to people who will inevitably give you presents. :yy:

Learn how to say 'sumimasen' if you can't already. It's a great word because it means please/thank you/sorry/oi!/everything.

Try lots of weird sushi at a cheap conveyor belt place :smile:

I'd leave some time for wandering around and trying out bars etc. - you'll probably make friends with the people there, especially in ones that wouldn't usually get foreigners. :smile: Go to an izakaya for food/snacks and drinks. It's like a traditional Japanese pub where you get a little room and take your shoes off and get a buzzer to summon table service!

Try sake - also umeshu which is plum wine that you drink with hot water. Yummy.

Be aware most bars have a table charge (like an entry fee). Normally about 500 - 700 yen but could be more. Just a heads' up. I'd budget for it.

Enjoy yourself :biggrin: :woo:
Reply 8
Original post by pagorai
Dont forget to try takoyaki!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've tried them from where I'm from I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you go to Osaka, then you have to try proper Osaka Okonomiyaki :biggrin: It's the best. I love Osaka - I wouldn't say it's boring! It has an amazing aquarium you should check out.

Kyoto is wonderful and chazwomaq has already given you great ideas. :smile:

Definitely go to a sento or an onsen - they're the best thing in the world. Medicine bath. :bath: So good! :blush: You'll be really missing out if you don't.

Tokyo - go to Harajuku on a Sunday to see the dressed up people. :smile:

Bring some little gifts with you from the UK to give to people who will inevitably give you presents. :yy:

Learn how to say 'sumimasen' if you can't already. It's a great word because it means please/thank you/sorry/oi!/everything.

Try lots of weird sushi at a cheap conveyor belt place :smile:

I'd leave some time for wandering around and trying out bars etc. - you'll probably make friends with the people there, especially in ones that wouldn't usually get foreigners. :smile: Go to an izakaya for food/snacks and drinks. It's like a traditional Japanese pub where you get a little room and take your shoes off and get a buzzer to summon table service!

Try sake - also umeshu which is plum wine that you drink with hot water. Yummy.

Be aware most bars have a table charge (like an entry fee). Normally about 500 - 700 yen but could be more. Just a heads' up. I'd budget for it.

Enjoy yourself :biggrin: :woo:

Woah thanks! Who's going to 'inevitably' give me presents? Is it a thing there?

Thanks for the advice! Can't wait already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've tried them from where I'm from I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG! That is the most beautiful thing.
Woah thanks! Who's going to 'inevitably' give me presents? Is it a thing there?

Thanks for the advice! Can't wait already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, they will. Giving presents is a big thing in Japan. Bring some little trinkets with you with British flags on them, or some kind of traditional British thing or something local to your area (assuming you're from the UK).

People are going to want to talk to you a lot, so if you make a friend give them a little present first as a memento. :biggrin:

Oooh, you should also go to an arcade. And do Purikura!

Also - Japan functions almost entirely in cash. I never used a debit card to pay for anything. I'd say the easiest way to take money is travelers checks which you can then get changed up a JP Post offices.
Reply 12
Original post by pagorai
OMG! That is the most beautiful thing.

I know! Jesus the thought of it makes me hungry I'm getting myself some tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Trust me, they will. Giving presents is a big thing in Japan. Bring some little trinkets with you with British flags on them, or some kind of traditional British thing or something local to your area (assuming you're from the UK).

People are going to want to talk to you a lot, so if you make a friend give them a little present first as a memento. :biggrin:

Oooh, you should also go to an arcade. And do Purikura!

Also - Japan functions almost entirely in cash. I never used a debit card to pay for anything. I'd say the easiest way to take money is travelers checks which you can then get changed up a JP Post offices.

I wouldn't have known that if you haven't told me! I'll bring something, it'd be great to have friends from Japan.

Noted, I've always travelled with a load of local currency in my bag (which I know is not the safest option). Might just opt for travellers checks this time. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know! Jesus the thought of it makes me hungry I'm getting myself some tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

dammit. I wish i could get it whenever i want. T.T
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop showing off ...
Hey guys im going to japan in a couple of days, could you tell me the best way to carry money? I was going to buy travellers cheques but i hear that its a pain to cash in japan, so is it better to just carry Yen? But is that not dangerous? Looking to take around 1K sterling as going for 4 weeks. Im super excited to go so anymore recommendations of places to visit or things to do (we are staying in saitama) would be appreciated too xxx
Original post by *Dreamer*
Hey guys im going to japan in a couple of days, could you tell me the best way to carry money? I was going to buy travellers cheques but i hear that its a pain to cash in japan, so is it better to just carry Yen? But is that not dangerous? Looking to take around 1K sterling as going for 4 weeks. Im super excited to go so anymore recommendations of places to visit or things to do (we are staying in saitama) would be appreciated too xxx

Traveller's checks are the way to go - big banks understand how to cash them so you shouldn't have any trouble (or at least I never did when I was there) :smile: Look for the green JP Banks - you'll have to queue but it shouldn't take up so much time and it's better than losing your money. Also if TC's go missing you can get replacements. Make sure you bring some Yen in cash with you to use when you first get there.

Japan is very safe and people carry around large sums of cash as normal (I used to have about 300k with me as standard, something I'd never dream of doing in the UK!!) - it's just losing or damaging it that I'd be worried about.

Also, everything is paid by cash in Japan so don't rely on credit/debit cards as a backup. Plus their ATMs close after like 7pm so watch out you don't get caught short if you are thinking of using a card.
Traveller's checks are the way to go - big banks understand how to cash them so you shouldn't have any trouble (or at least I never did when I was there) :smile: Look for the green JP Banks - you'll have to queue but it shouldn't take up so much time and it's better than losing your money. Also if TC's go missing you can get replacements. Make sure you bring some Yen in cash with you to use when you first get there.

Japan is very safe and people carry around large sums of cash as normal (I used to have about 300k with me as standard, something I'd never dream of doing in the UK!!) - it's just losing or damaging it that I'd be worried about.

Also, everything is paid by cash in Japan so don't rely on credit/debit cards as a backup. Plus their ATMs close after like 7pm so watch out you don't get caught short if you are thinking of using a card.

Ahh thanks so much for the advice. Im not familiar with TCs, so you have to go to the bank and exchange them for a cash amount. You cant use them at restaurants or cafes. And also is each cheque worth a certain amount or do you write the amount on the cheque? Thanks xxx
I wanna go to Japan now! After reading all that...

And I really wanna try takoyaki and go to an onsen *sigh* maybe one day.

Quick Reply

Latest