The Student Room Group

Holiday destination dilemma!!

Hi I'm planning to go on holiday this summer with 5 of my mates. However we are unsure on a location as some are more party focused others not so much. I am looking for something that will suit everyone, does anyone know any decent places to go? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Prague mate
Everything is cheap and people speak decent English too
Reply 2
Thanks for the suggestion! Will look into it to see if it's right for us 😃
America
Reply 4
Bit too expensive, anything else come mind?
Reply 5
Depends what you're looking for but if you want cheap the pound is now strong against the euro so Europe is ideal. Some of the places I know about that I've visited:

Munich - great for football/ history/ if you like beer/ sight seeing
Berlin - Similar to Munich just more history less football
Krakow - Beautiful historic town, lots of clubs etc
Barcelona - beach, hot weather, football
Paris - expensive but lots to do with sight seeing
Going to go to Dresden - yet another beautiful city with history
Reply 6
Original post by iodo345
Depends what you're looking for but if you want cheap the pound is now strong against the euro so Europe is ideal. Some of the places I know about that I've visited:

Munich - great for football/ history/ if you like beer/ sight seeing
Berlin - Similar to Munich just more history less football
Krakow - Beautiful historic town, lots of clubs etc
Barcelona - beach, hot weather, football
Paris - expensive but lots to do with sight seeing
Going to go to Dresden - yet another beautiful city with history

Do you find that there is alot of young people in these areas when you go?
Reply 7
Yes definitely. Especially in Berlin, Munich, Paris and Barcelona as these are some of the most popular destinations to go to so has many things for all sorts of people. Krakow and Dresden do have quite a few young people but due to it being more historically orientated most of the tourists are older looking at museums etc. Saying that, you will young adults visiting. What exactly are you are you looking for in a holiday destination? Clubs, history, football etc
Reply 8
Original post by iodo345
Yes definitely. Especially in Berlin, Munich, Paris and Barcelona as these are some of the most popular destinations to go to so has many things for all sorts of people. Krakow and Dresden do have quite a few young people but due to it being more historically orientated most of the tourists are older looking at museums etc. Saying that, you will young adults visiting. What exactly are you are you looking for in a holiday destination? Clubs, history, football etc

Well im ideally looking for somewhere where there is a lot to do during the day and then can go out at night. Thinking more Barcelona due to weather and a beach but worried that it may cost a lot when we get there?
Reply 9
Barcelona has loads to do and a great night life but it is the most expensive city in Spain I think despite the pound being string against the Euro. There are other parts of Spain like Malaga which might be cheaper and is popular with British tourists due to the beaches and night cubs etc but don't know much on this as I haven't been there. However, flights are cheap and you could fly from pretty much any airport.
Turkey..lots of holiday bargains to be had...
Reply 11
Original post by iodo345
Barcelona has loads to do and a great night life but it is the most expensive city in Spain I think despite the pound being string against the Euro. There are other parts of Spain like Malaga which might be cheaper and is popular with British tourists due to the beaches and night cubs etc but don't know much on this as I haven't been there. However, flights are cheap and you could fly from pretty much any airport.

Thanks for the great advice, really should have came to the student room a long time ago :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Limpopo
Turkey..lots of holiday bargains to be had...

Do you know from experience as to where is best to go and what they are like? thanks.
Original post by SB1497
Do you know from experience as to where is best to go and what they are like? thanks.

No but have a look at a website such as onthebeach
It's alright I have been round Europe a few times so am fairly knowledgeable. Hope it all works out well and have a great time!
Reply 15
Original post by Limpopo
No but have a look at a website such as onthebeach

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply 16
Original post by iodo345
It's alright I have been round Europe a few times so am fairly knowledgeable. Hope it all works out well and have a great time!

just a quick question sorry, do you believe that Valencia would be a good alternative to Barcelona?
Original post by SB1497
Hi I'm planning to go on holiday this summer with 5 of my mates. However we are unsure on a location as some are more party focused others not so much. I am looking for something that will suit everyone, does anyone know any decent places to go? Thanks.

kavos! I went last year with my best friend. it was great!!! and super cheap. £260 for everything including flight, 20kg luggage, transfer to and from airport and 3* hotel. we booked on travelrepublic. if you don't like to party/don't like to drink, don't go -_- but if you're up for a laugh, defoo recommend. you'll have the time of your life
Reply 18
Original post by adriana95
kavos! I went last year with my best friend. it was great!!! and super cheap. £260 for everything including flight, 20kg luggage, transfer to and from airport and 3* hotel. we booked on travelrepublic. if you don't like to party/don't like to drink, don't go -_- but if you're up for a laugh, defoo recommend. you'll have the time of your life

For me personally this is the type of thing that I would do. However, a couple of my friends wouldn't like his scene and therefore I will do something like this in one of the summers while at uni. Looking for something a bit different for now but thanks for the recommendation anyway :smile:
Original post by SB1497
just a quick question sorry, do you believe that Valencia would be a good alternative to Barcelona?

Feel free to ask. I think Valencia would be a great alternative to Barcelona as it's cheaper, there is just as much to do (football, museums, aquariums) and it is by the sea. Plus it will probably be less busy than Barcelona so you could potentially see more and avoid the hustle and bustle.

Quick Reply

Latest