The Student Room Group

Need Help On choosing the right career path

First of all, I'm 18 year old who's going to be 19 this year. Now let me tell you my main qualifications,

GCSE, I have 5 A-C's including Maths but I have grade D for English.

I have 1 year worth of work experience as a technician and part time counter staff, I mainly fixed electronic devices and worked on software.

I also have quite bit of voluntary work as well.

I also did BTEC Level 2 Diploma in IT and achieved a Distinction star

After that I did level 3 extend diploma in IT and after a year, I dropped out. Wasting a year not only that I wasted this year as well doing nothing. I dropped out because of personal and family related issues.

Now I feel like I got my act sorted out and I want to continue my study or doing something to progress my career. By this September I need to have made a decision on what I want to do.

My main goal is to get to university and study computer science. I'm sorry if this isn't the right forums because I'm new to TSR.

I've looked at apprenticeships but I don't feel interested in them and I don't think I can use them as a stepping stone to get into University .

I'm going to be 19 next month and I really don't want to do to spend another 2 years of studying at college to get into university. So I've been really interested in Access to higher education courses but I'm not really sure how they work and if they do it with computer science.

My other alternative option is doing a fast track access in computing level 3 which gives my 2 A levels and is only 1 year which will allow me to get into Uni. I'm wondering are these fast track access courses any good? And is 280 UCAS points enough get into Uni?

I haven't made any final deciison what I'm going to do, so any feedback would highly appreciated thank you.
Reply 1
Look at Computer Science with Foundation year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending