The Student Room Group

Investment banking: where do you get work experience?

Would normal retail banking work experience with Santander be relevant enough to put on your CV?

Or, if you apply for M&A can you have S&T work experience on your CV?

What other sorts of work experience is considered useful? Does it all have to be bank related?
Original post by Da Di Doo
Would normal retail banking work experience with Santander be relevant enough to put on your CV?

What other sorts of work experience is considered useful? Does it all have to be bank related?

Yes to both as long as you can explain why you did them, how they have benefitted you and justify your motivation for applying to the current role over those previous roles.

Any experience is useful if you can sell/twist it in the right way. But IB, Consulting, Big 4 is best etc. Anything that shows you're trying to build your profile.

In interviews, at least, it's usually more about how you sell it, rather than what you did. And to get to interviews, work experience is a component they look at, relevant or not - you should have some.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
workin in a shop is useful aslong as you justify what you learnt

will pretty much said it all. in my final round at a bb, i used call of duty as an example of strategic thinking and communication. the interviewer had a laugh, said it was original.. so you can really say anything you do within reason.
Original post by Da Di Doo

To be blunt - do the exact same function or as close as you would at the bank always. Even if you are at a retail bank ask if you can volunteer or shadow someone in a division which is related.

I.e. if you want to work as a Investment Research Analyst, take up a research position in an Economics society. Do a part time job doing Research. Everything has to be directly related to the job function. This applies to S&T (sales/trading), M&A (mergers/acquistions), PWM (private wealth management).

Any other approach is silly to be honest. I.e. do anything approach. This is what will get you rejections. And will get people asking you - but why did you do XYZ? And what was the purpose of doing ZYX? (This has happened many times from experience, not from reading forums).

Only take the - yeah everything will help your CV if you don't have an options. And if you say that there aren't any opportunities around as most university students say - And until you cold call and e-mail 30-60+ firms you're not working hard enough.
Original post by TheRenaissanceMan

Only take the - yeah everything will help your CV if you don't have an options. And if you say that there aren't any opportunities around as most university students say - And until you cold call and e-mail 30-60+ firms you're not working hard enough.

This, pretty much use anything in your power to get something related anywhere. Most people know someone who works in the industry they're aspiring to go to. This is one of the simplest way to get exposure into a particular field which looks good on your CV as it shows initiative. Simply ask a relative of a family friend to offer you a week experience, even if it's shadowing. It may seem obvious but a lot of people miss out on said opportunities which really adds value to their profile.

I'd strongly advise taking advantage of said opportunities, as they're definitely useful and a great chance to network. Also networking is a vital part if you're successfully permitted on to these programmes. Stay in touch with the people you meet, a good way is to set up a LinkedIn account so people can track your progress and you can easily send mail/questions.
Original post by gr8wizard10
workin in a shop is useful aslong as you justify what you learnt

will pretty much said it all. in my final round at a bb, i used call of duty as an example of strategic thinking and communication. the interviewer had a laugh, said it was original.. so you can really say anything you do within reason.

Nah your lying! :lol:
Original post by Anonynmous
Nah your lying! :lol:

i play league play with a team, competitive call of duty
i play league play with a team, competitive call of duty

Can't tell if srs or banta,

You did not say that in your interview, No way man :rofl:
Original post by Anonynmous
Can't tell if srs or banta,

You did not say that in your interview, No way man :rofl:

was my final round, the question was "tell me about a time where you worked in a team, that's not on ur cv, and what did you learn from it"

cod bo2 league play - team development, communication, strategic thinking, learning game logistics/mechanics, competitive drive & wht not. i can confirm my answer banged to the extent i impressed myself
was my final round, the question was "tell me about a time where you worked in a team, that's not on ur cv, and what did you learn from it"

cod bo2 league play - team development, communication, strategic thinking, learning game logistics/mechanics, competitive drive & wht not. i can confirm my answer banged to the extent i impressed myself

You're on another level , you cheeky **** XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending