The Student Room Group

Is my driving instructor being unfair?

I was 17 last July and I've been having a 2 hour driving lesson every week with my driving instructor since. Every time I finish a 'block' of lessons, he tells me to book more so I do. Today I asked him if I could book my test because I feel like I'm ready for it - I rarely do anything wrong I'm a confident driver and I've been driving ages now! But he completely refused and told me I wasn't ready, he said if I take my test now then I'll have to do it in a different car not his. He also went on a rant about how he 'won't be dictated' and 'told how to do his job'. He was literally having a go at me just because I asked if I could have my test yet? Is he being a dick or am I just sensitive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So that's like... 72 hours of lessons over 9 months?
I think I had ~100 but all within 3 months.
I'd be pissed off with 9 months personally. Ask him when he expects you to be able to do it. Have you done theory?
Does he still give you many comments / criticisms? Is he from a reputable school?

It's difficult to judge whether you're being overconfident and he's just a ****; or if you do need more and he's again, a ****.
Have you been driving outside of lessons with parents etc?

Maybe book one lesson with a random instructor to ask them what they think, then ditch this guy. Very unprofessional
It's hard to say without actually seeing you drive.

If you believe he is being unfair, you should find another instructor. You can change at any time if you're not happy with your current instructor.
Reply 3
Original post by Inazuma
I'd be pissed off with 9 months personally. Ask him when he expects you to be able to do it. Have you done theory?
Does he still give you many comments / criticisms? Is he from a reputable school?

It's difficult to judge whether you're being overconfident and he's just a ****; or if you do need more and he's again, a ****.

Maybe book one lesson with a random instructor to ask them what they think, then ditch this guy. Very unprofessional

Exactly I feel like it's taking me way too long, and it's getting really costly having all these lessons. I did ask him and he said by June, that's another two months of lessons! I've done my theory and I'm honestly a decent driver I don't understand why I can't take my test :/ Thanks for the advice I might ask another instructor what he thinks like you said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would see if you can find another instructor in your area who drives the same car and take a lesson with them, and ask their opinion. I wouldn't be happy having an instructor have a go at me so that would actually make me find a different instructor!
Saying he doesn't believe you're ready for the test is fair enough.

"He also went on a rant about how he 'won't be dictated' and 'told how to do his job'. He was literally having a go at me just because I asked if I could have my test yet?" << This, however, is completely unfair and un-necessary.
Original post by Emily.97
Saying he doesn't believe you're ready for the test is fair enough.

"He also went on a rant about how he 'won't be dictated' and 'told how to do his job'. He was literally having a go at me just because I asked if I could have my test yet?" << This, however, is completely unfair and un-necessary.

Yep, thats the bit I'd not be happy with! It's nice to have an instructor who will give it to you straight but a rant cause you asked? nah, not for me.
Original post by S_Adriaan
Yep, thats the bit I'd not be happy with! It's nice to have an instructor who will give it to you straight but a rant cause you asked? nah, not for me.

How long have you been taking driving lessons?
Maybe he genuinely think you could do this more lessons and practise before your test. My instructor said the same thing but I completely agreed with her at the time.

But if you feel like he is unfair and trying to get more money out of you, take lessons with a different instructor :smile:
Maybe the reason he doesn't want you to pass is he's scared of ruining his pass rate or some other reason like that.
Original post by Inazuma

you had 100 hours? wtf?
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
you had 100 hours? wtf?

Something like that. Not sure exactly as I filled the book pretty quick. But I had a few a week of a decent length. Parents figured too many better than too few.
Passed first time so no complaining.
Original post by Inazuma
Something like that. Not sure exactly as I filled the book pretty quick. But I had a few a week of a decent length. Parents figured too many better than too few.
Passed first time so no complaining.

were you a bad driver or something? thats more than £2k on just lessons damn. I think i'm on 14 hours and im about to take my test but i've driven a bit with my parents too, don't think it would have taken me more than 30 tbh, and ive never heard of anyone who took more than 40 but wow.
were you a bad driver or something? thats more than £2k on just lessons damn. I think i'm on 14 hours and im about to take my test but i've driven a bit with my parents too, don't think it would have taken me more than 30 tbh, and ive never heard of anyone who took more than 40 but wow.

Not by any means, I didn't really drive too much in my own car outside of lessons either; first time I properly did was my test haha. Plus it made it easier to do my test faster.
There's a reason I never asked my parents how much it cost; scary idea :eek: Bulk deals though (Y)

Anyway, I've been driving for 2.5+ years now, never an accident; plus made it easier to be comfortable driving long distances, drove up to York a month after passing (5hrs each way) :-) So all good. I see many recent-passers struggle to drive decently afterwards..
Reply 13
Isn't there a long waiting time for a test? why not ask your instructor if you can book a test but change it if your not ready when it's closer to the time?
Reply 14

I think around 45 hours is the average, but my sister had around 150 hrs!!
Go through a mental checklist by yourself or what YouTube videos of driving tests.

can you do all the things they want you to do? Can you drive safely like they can?
if you think the answer is yes, book your test and tell him either put me for my test or I'll find a different instructor who will. Book it for like 1/2 months in advance so you can get some rest prep.

ive heard of some instructors who hold back pupils for the cash, one of my house mates took her test despite her instructor saying "you're not very"
and they passed with 2 minors.

i think it's all down to how you drive, you could always ask him what you need brushing up on and youll able to consider if he's being unfair or if you actually are bad at them things.
You have a working relationship with your instructor and it should be a two-way process. If he thinks you are not ready, he should tell you why, without you having to ask. Going on a rant is not usually a good way of convincing a pupil that they are not ready.

Can I throw a couple of other considerations into the discussion? Right or wrong, as instructors we are taught that the only way to 'control' test timing is to withdraw the use of the car. If a pupil tells us when they are taking their test and we don't agree then, unfortunately, sometimes we have to withdraw use of the vehicle. Our responsibility is to produce good, safe drivers, not someone who can propel the car from A to B, learn the test routes and fluke a 35 minute driving test. The test is an imperfect instrument and it is possible to pass when you are not as safe as you need to be - I know this to my cost!

When I take pupils on a mock test and ask them how they got on, more often than not they identify some of the faults they committed and on the basis of those faults, it probably would have been a pass. However, very often they have completely missed the really dangerous things that they have done because they are completely unaware of the chaos they have caused. These are the issues that I and many other instructors work so hard to eliminate because these are the ones that are so serious.

As far as your situation is concerned, I would ask your instructor what aspects of your driving need to be improved. That is not dictating to them how to do their job. If they can't or won't tell you, then they may be trying to delay unnecessarily. If they can then it is possible that they are seeing something that you are missing. You are employing them as an expert in their field - ignoring their advice seems a bit silly. Do you have a sheet charting your progress? If you do (and you should) then if that sheet is complete, you will be ready. If not, you will know what you still need to work on.

Finally, bear in mind that almost everyone thinks their driving is flawless, from the best instructor to the newest learner. Sometimes it needs a third party to do a correct evaluation.

It is impossible for anyone else to judge whether you should or shouldn't take your test based on your post. Taking an independent assessment is a good way to go so that another instructor can advise you based on the way that you actually drive.

Please don't think that I am doubting your ability to drive or your assessment of your own driving. I am not - just trying to put an alternative view which might affect your thinking. I hope that's okay.

Best Wishes

Emma
Original post by Ely_k
I was 17 last July and I've been having a 2 hour driving lesson every week with my driving instructor since. Every time I finish a 'block' of lessons, he tells me to book more so I do. Today I asked him if I could book my test because I feel like I'm ready for it - I rarely do anything wrong I'm a confident driver and I've been driving ages now! But he completely refused and told me I wasn't ready, he said if I take my test now then I'll have to do it in a different car not his. He also went on a rant about how he 'won't be dictated' and 'told how to do his job'. He was literally having a go at me just because I asked if I could have my test yet? Is he being a dick or am I just sensitive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's hard to say who is right on whether you're ready to take your test, but the way he dealt with the situation is completely out of line.

Maybe ask him to do a few mock tests with him, and see how you cope with those. If he refuses, maybe consider a new driving instructor. A friend of mine had about 4 instructors before she found one that was right for her.
He's being a dick. I booked my driving test without the consent of my instructor because he would've plainly said I wasn't ready. I knew I was, come exam day I passed and he literally didn't say a word to me the rest of the day. I had around 40 1 hour lessons.

Most instructors just want to milk more money from you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The DSA estimates the UK average as 47 hrs of tuition and half that again as practice

Latest

Trending

Trending