The Student Room Group

BBC admit Farage was right & admit they did fix the election debate audience

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571208/Leader-s-election-debate-BBC-confirms-audience-WAS-left-leaning-as-Farage-claimed

BBC have admitted that Nigel Farage's claim they fixed the election debate audience with left wing anti UKIP members was correct & admit they did fix the audience

The BBC have a legal duty to be politically neutral this was a setup

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hope no one is surprised by this... BBC as usual. Typical Brussels propaganda. So out of control.
On stage, next to Farage, were 4 left-wing party leaders. The effect would have likely been the opposite if 50% of the room supported Farage, whilst the other half were split between the remaining parties.

Of course, you would then raise your flag and proclaim that as proof of Farage's 'wide-spread appeal' amongst the cheering masses *sigh*.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
It is supposed to represent the general public not the debate... stop defending BBC propaganda.
There were four left wing leaders and one right wing one. Obviously there were going to be more left wing people in the audience.
Original post by seapony
it is supposed to represent the general public not the debate... Stop defending bbc propaganda.

bbc did not choose the audience. An independent polling company did.
Reply 6
I'd argue the majority are left-wing in the country so its a fairly accurate representation I guess
Reply 7
Original post by Bornblue

And the majority turn out be be leftist! Ahaha! very independent!
Original post by Bornblue

True, but it was an even split for each party, which in this case meant 80% of the audience was generally centre-left/left-leaning.

Not a UKIP voter, just pointing out a fact.
Reply 9
ICM used the following audience ratio for those with a party preference:

Conservative 5

Labour 5

Lib Dem 4

Ukip 3

SNP 2

Green 2

Plaid 1.

There were also 20% of audience members with no party preference.

I suspect Ukip is viewing Lib Dem supporters as 'left wing' as that skews the ratio 14:8.
Asking an independent polling company to choose the audience cannot be construed as 'fixing' by the BBC. You can criticize the pollster for how they conducted their statistics, but it would have been much worse if the BBC had actually altered their conclusions to make it more right wing. That would definitely have been fixing.

I really don't get why the BBC is coming under flak here, when they didn't interfere in any way (to my knowledge) in the audience make-up. Surely it's the responsibility of the pollster?
Original post by SeaPony
And the majority turn out be be leftist! Ahaha! very independent!

So it wasn't the BBC then was it?
There were 4 left wing parties, one right wing. It reflected the party support. The two right wing leaders, Clegg and Cameron chose not to attend so their views weren't represented in the audience.

It was reflective of the leaders.
And we have to pay the BBC, God it annoys me, every political program they host is anti-tory and anti-UKIP. It gets so boring.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
True, but it was an even split for each party, which in this case meant 80% of the audience was generally centre-left/left-leaning.

Not a UKIP voter, just pointing out a fact.

It wasn't an even audience. Look at the post below yours. There were plenty of tories and lib dems even though their parties never bothered to turn up.
Reply 14
Original post by The two eds
And we have to pay the BBC, God it annoys me, every political program they host is anti-tory and anti-UKIP. It gets so boring.

You don't have to pay their fee you know. But you will in fear most likely and moan and groan.
Reply 15
Original post by Ace123
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571208/Leader-s-election-debate-BBC-confirms-audience-WAS-left-leaning-as-Farage-claimed

BBC have admitted that Nigel Farage's claim they fixed the election debate audience with left wing anti UKIP members was correct & admit they did fix the audience

The BBC have a legal duty to be politically neutral this was a setup

Very interesting. Thanks for this.
Still better than Fox News
Whoa, you are making a right strawman out of this:

This meant that just 36% of audience members swung to the right.

Might not be perfectly 50%, but what about those in the middle?

ICM used the following audience ratio for those with a party preference:Conservative 5
Labour 5
Lib Dem 4
Ukip 3
SNP 2
Green 2
Plaid 1.

Those for lib dems would have been in the middle, which means that this distribution is more or less equal.
Reply 18
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Still better than Fox News

Or MSNBC or any other mainstream media on the fake left and right.
This title in itself is utterly false having read the article

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending