The Student Room Group

Why is alcohol so damn good?

A glass of red relieves the nerves like no other.

A cold beer on a summer's eve.

A gin and tonic with lime and ice on a summer's eve.

Lemonade, tea, coffee - none of it compares.

Scroll to see replies

I've gone off it to be honest
Empty calories though
Reply 3
Because it gives you the legendary beer goggles.
Original post by SophieSmall
I've gone off it to be honest

How come?

I just spilt beer on myself as I typed this :tongue:

For someone who used to hate booze I'm heading in an alcoholic trajectory at the moment :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
How come?

Just don't enjoy it
Original post by SophieSmall
Just don't enjoy it

Don;t tell cole saw :ninja:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Don;t tell cole saw :ninja:

he can go shove it up his insufferable arse
For me tea is 100% better than any type of alcohol :coma: I've tried some beer (it ended up in the toilet), tried some cider and wine but they seemed to be tasteless. I guess it's not for me to get drunk :teehee:
Original post by Lady Comstock

Because it's moderately addictive and makes you feel good.

Having said that, there is a thirst felt at the end of a hard day that can only really be quenched by beer.

Similarly, when the sun passes over the yard arm a G&T just hits the spot.

If they tasted the same and were non alcoholic then I'd still drink them, but you are right - lemonade just doesn't compare.

I have managed to substitute some alcohol for coffee though. In the past I would frequently have a G&T at about 6pm, I now tend to make myself a coffee at around that time and it staves off thirst until after dinner. I only started drinking coffee as a substitute for energy drink, too :tongue:
Original post by ForgetMe
For me tea is 100% better than any type of alcohol :coma: I've tried some beer (it ended up in the toilet), tried some cider and wine but they seemed to be tasteless. I guess it's not for me to get drunk :teehee:

Trying three drinks isn't exactly 'all alcohol'. Even just saying you don't like beer is like saying you don't like any hot drinks because you once had sainsburys basics tea and it was awful. There's far too much variety in the flavours to be able to discount all alcohol.

For example: I've had cider that tastes just like naan bread, I've had (pear) cider that tastes just like pear drops, I've had cider that tastes like peaches and I've had cider that tastes like apple juice.

On the other hand, I love beer but the other week I tried a blackberry stout that instantly made me dry heave for about five minutes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Lady Comstock

True, I've had a lot of pleasure and fun from alcohol.

There is of course a flip side, silly behaviour, alcohol fuelled rows and violence, dependency.. I recently came across a 19 yo alcoholic, not a pretty thing.

So, alcohol is a good servant and a poor master and there is a slippery slope that quite a few end up on.
Original post by Manitude
Trying three drinks isn't exactly 'all alcohol'. Even just saying you don't like beer is like saying you don't like any hot drinks because you once had sainsburys basics tea and it was awful. There's far too much variety in the flavours to be able to discount all alcohol.

For example: I've had cider that tastes just like naan bread, I've had (pear) cider that tastes just like pear drops, I've had cider that tastes like peaches and I've had cider that tastes like apple juice.

On the other hand, I love beer but the other week I tried a blackberry stout that instantly made me dry heave for about five minutes.

Well, three drinks were enough for me to decide that alcohol doesn't taste good :tongue:

You build up a tolerance as you get used to it hun. I agree with that guy as well. Surely you haven't tried EVERY kind of alcoholic beverage out there or every brand of cider/wine/beer for that matter...?
Well, three drinks were enough for me to decide that alcohol doesn't taste good :tongue:

Depends, if you like fruity fizzy drinks or anything of the sort, you might like fruit-flavoured ciders like Bulmers/Kopparberg/etc. You can get through a bottle of that and practically not taste the alcohol.
Reply 15
In terms of the taste, yes, nothing quite compares to a good alcoholic beverage. I remember before I turned 18 I would want to drink Pepsi or Irn-Bru or whatever, but since I've had my first beer it's like sometimes there is this other thirst that only something like a cold beer can deal with. I drink very rarely, probably about one beer every 6-8 weeks and hate the idea of being 'drunk', but sometimes a little alcohol is exactly what will satisfy you.
No. Although I'm in favour of getting drunk under certain circumstances, I'd rather drink something healthy in the situations you described.
Kopparberg and Rekorderling are the ones :coma:
I'm not quite a big fan of drinking beer, wine...etc just like that.

But I love using alcohol in the kitchen. Really brings out the flavours in the dish.

Beer battered onion rings :sogood:
Bolognaise with a dash of red wine :sogood:
Shrimp with coconut rum :sogood:
Original post by SecretDuck
I'm not quite a big fan of drinking beer, wine...etc just like that.

But I love using alcohol in the kitchen. Really brings out the flavours in the dish.

Beer battered onion rings :sogood:
Bolognaise with a dash of red wine :sogood:
Shrimp with coconut rum :sogood:

From that sounds like you might consume as much alcohol as the rest of us! haha

Quick Reply

Latest