The Student Room Group

Realistic for languages at Cambridge?

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing 5 a levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Russian and German. The reason being for so many A-levels is that I had no clue of what I wanted to do, and since my parents told me academic subjects will always get you a job as long as you work hard, I went along with it. Only half way through the year i realised that what I want to do is languages: specifically Russian and German.

I achieved 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's at gcse - so pretty much average (obviously not for oxbridge standards). I love Cambridge and the course... but the problem is, is that although I am not a native speaker and have never lived in Russia, it is my official first language. However due to my upbringing in the UK it had now become my second. But I love the culture and literature and would love to completely master it. I think universities will think that I just want an easy degree :frown: This is not the case, and in fact I really want to learn Italian or Spanish alongside German or maybe even Russian.

i am confident that I will be able to achieve an A* in my Russian, and A in Maths and German by the end of a2, but the problem is my Biology and Chemistry - to what extent will they question my choices of such heavy-based science A-levels? :/ (Even if I achieve A's in them?). I was thinking doing my EPQ next year on German history/literature, to show some evidence of good english essay skills and passion for the subject. I do like my literature, and in the past people have told me I'm a good writer.

I love the city and the course and it really is a dream to go there... Do you think I have a chance? Will they see me as lazy due to my Russian being fluent?
Original post by Sonusha88
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing 5 a levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Russian and German. The reason being for so many A-levels is that I had no clue of what I wanted to do, and since my parents told me academic subjects will always get you a job as long as you work hard, I went along with it. Only half way through the year i realised that what I want to do is languages: specifically Russian and German.

I achieved 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's at gcse - so pretty much average (obviously not for oxbridge standards). I love Cambridge and the course... but the problem is, is that although I am not a native speaker and have never lived in Russia, it is my official first language. However due to my upbringing in the UK it had now become my second. But I love the culture and literature and would love to completely master it. I think universities will think that I just want an easy degree :frown: This is not the case, and in fact I really want to learn Italian or Spanish alongside German or maybe even Russian.

i am confident that I will be able to achieve an A* in my Russian, and A in Maths and German by the end of a2, but the problem is my Biology and Chemistry - to what extent will they question my choices of such heavy-based science A-levels? :/ (Even if I achieve A's in them?). I was thinking doing my EPQ next year on German history/literature, to show some evidence of good english essay skills and passion for the subject. I do like my literature, and in the past people have told me I'm a good writer.

I love the city and the course and it really is a dream to go there... Do you think I have a chance? Will they see me as lazy due to my Russian being fluent?

Cambridge might not accept Russian as part of your application because it's your official first language so Check with them. Could you not replace one of bio or chem with another foreign language?
Reply 2
Well it's not really my official language anymore... I don't know the grammar and all that stuff and it still takes work for me. I can't at this point, exams in two weeks!

I know a few cases similar to yours; a Spanish girl who came to UK when she was very young, graduated from Oxford a few years ago after reading Spanish and French, a boy who's half-Japanese, born and brought up in England, now reading Japanese in Oxford (with Korean as the second language) and a girl who's half-Italian/French, born and bred in UK, recently graduated from Oxford with a degree in French. All three of them were bilingual from early age but much better in English, especially the boy.
I know it's not Cambridge but The Other Place(they all chose Oxford as they tend to be better in languages than Cambridge and they preferred the courses there), but my impression is that what they're looking for is an applicant who has talent/potential/ability in the subject and whether you were in a lucky position to have been born to a family with the language isn't too much of issue to them. (Though they may expect you'd be a bit better than other candidates who are learning the language as 'a foreign language.' )
Sorry it's not Cambridge-specific info, but hopefully they also have a similar way of viewing the applicants. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by vincrows
I know a few cases similar to yours; a Spanish girl who came to UK when she was very young, graduated from Oxford a few years ago after reading Spanish and French, a boy who's half-Japanese, born and brought up in England, now reading Japanese in Oxford (with Korean as the second language) and a girl who's half-Italian/French, born and bred in UK, recently graduated from Oxford with a degree in French. All three of them were bilingual from early age but much better in English, especially the boy.
I know it's not Cambridge but The Other Place(they all chose Oxford as they tend to be better in languages than Cambridge and they preferred the courses there), but my impression is that what they're looking for is an applicant who has talent/potential/ability in the subject and whether you were in a lucky position to have been born to a family with the language isn't too much of issue to them. (Though they may expect you'd be a bit better than other candidates who are learning the language as 'a foreign language.' )
Sorry it's not Cambridge-specific info, but hopefully they also have a similar way of viewing the applicants. Good luck!

Hi,
Thanks that was really helpful and gave me some hope :biggrin: I am not particularly keen on the Oxford course though, as its mainly literature based. I love literature but not to that extent. I have been to a Cambridge masterclass and I also normally go to Russian classes at this place on saturdays in Cambridge, and I have just fallen in love with the place! :redface: But Oxbridge tend to be quite similar as from what I've heard, so hopefully they will not mind it. Do you think it would be better to apply for ab-initio spanish and German or something if they do see it as a unfair advantage?
Hi,
Thanks that was really helpful and gave me some hope :biggrin: I am not particularly keen on the Oxford course though, as its mainly literature based. I love literature but not to that extent. I have been to a Cambridge masterclass and I also normally go to Russian classes at this place on saturdays in Cambridge, and I have just fallen in love with the place! :redface: But Oxbridge tend to be quite similar as from what I've heard, so hopefully they will not mind it. Do you think it would be better to apply for ab-initio spanish and German or something if they do see it as a unfair advantage?

Short and honest answer is, I'm sorry, I'm not sure....
A daughter of our close family friend applied to read Spanish at Cambridge with Italian as ab-initio, but didn't get offer. She and her family spend most of the summer holidays in Spain as they have relatives there, so her Spanish seems to be quite good (good enough to converse with her Spanish relatives/friends and do normal daily things in Spanish) and she got a top grade in Spanish with very high marks (Can't remember if it was A-level or IB), but I don't know how much admission tutor/interviewers regarded her background as 'unfair advantage' or how much/little having ab-initio was counted into the overall considerations. The only thing I know about her case is that she thought of adding this 'Italian as ab-initio' not long before she submitted the application, thinking that may give her a few extra brownie points! :tongue: She did have some interest in learning Italian at some point in the future, but at the time of application and the period towards the interview, she didn't spend any time or effort to explore the interest (according to her mum), so maybe she couldn't prove she had genuine interest in the language at the interview.
As stated by several Admission Tutors from some colleges in this forum, their selection process is not as simple as 'if you do X, that will help this much,' they look at individual applicant holistically = 3D thinking. So unless your interest in other languages are genuine and you can show your genuine passion in it, there's no point you state it as ab-initio just to get some advantage. Basically, they can usually see through you.....:tongue:

There're a few other info I have that may help you, but they're a bit more specific and may risk revealing some identity, so if you're interested, please PM me. :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey! First year MMLer here. I suggest that you email the admissions tutor at the college/s you're interested in, and the department. I'm not entirely sure how it would stand for you, as there isn't anyone I know that has been in a similar situation as that. There is currently an admissions tutor thread running for you to ask on if you haven't already done so :smile:
x
Reply 7
Original post by Paralove
Hey! First year MMLer here. I suggest that you email the admissions tutor at the college/s you're interested in, and the department. I'm not entirely sure how it would stand for you, as there isn't anyone I know that has been in a similar situation as that. There is currently an admissions tutor thread running for you to ask on if you haven't already done so :smile:

Hi! Cool, which uni are you at and what language/s are you doing? Enjoying it?
I've emailed a couple of uni's to get a general opinion. So far I got only Durham's reply - they said it shouldn't be a problem and they do have a couple of students who are russian and doing the course. As long as I have a genuine passion it should be okay apparently. But thanks for the tip, I will check out the thread! :smile:
Reply 8

To achieve an offer you have to demonstrate by the whole of your application that you have the ability and interest to succeed against the competition.

The worries I would have are that your GCSEs are well below average for Cambridge, you expect only to achieve an A in your "real" foreign language and you have no other evidence of essay based skills at the time of interview. The science A levels are not a problem if you word your PS to show your passion for languages and convince them at interview. You will still need to have achieved high UMS in at least three subjects.

None of these are a complete bar to your application being successful and given that you are highly likely to get into a second or third choices of Russian & German at another university it is probably worth "one line" of UCAS choices.
I think the advice to email several admissions tutors at different colleges and pick the most favourable response is a good one.
Hi! Cool, which uni are you at and what language/s are you doing? Enjoying it?
I've emailed a couple of uni's to get a general opinion. So far I got only Durham's reply - they said it shouldn't be a problem and they do have a couple of students who are russian and doing the course. As long as I have a genuine passion it should be okay apparently. But thanks for the tip, I will check out the thread! :smile:

I'm at Cambridge, doing French and ab initio Spanish. I'm loving it (though not so much at present - my French oral exam is tomorrow!!), more so than I thought I ever would. I wouldn't be surprised if the general consensus is similar to the Durham response - Russian isn't offered at many places (certainly not in any of the schools I knew of where I'm from), and even though you might be fluent in speaking, this doesn't always translate into written communication.

Also, don't be put off by the comment about 'only' an A as above - I was not specified an A* in my language, which I had expected due to it being my only A-Level language, but friends doing two were asked for an A* in either of them. The thing with languages is that it is a LOT harder to get the top marks, even if you're really good. I know the marking of them is being looked at for A-Level.
Reply 10
Original post by Colmans
To achieve an offer you have to demonstrate by the whole of your application that you have the ability and interest to succeed against the competition.

The worries I would have are that your GCSEs are well below average for Cambridge, you expect only to achieve an A in your "real" foreign language and you have no other evidence of essay based skills at the time of interview. The science A levels are not a problem if you word your PS to show your passion for languages and convince them at interview. You will still need to have achieved high UMS in at least three subjects.

None of these are a complete bar to your application being successful and given that you are highly likely to get into a second or third choices of Russian & German at another university it is probably worth "one line" of UCAS choices.
I think the advice to email several admissions tutors at different colleges and pick the most favourable response is a good one.

I have actually received a reply from Durham and it seems quite positive. I agree with the line of UCAS choices - I already have one because I very much so realise how big the competition is at Cambridge :redface: So I don't have all my hopes up for one uni, just it is the one I'd most like to go to! I am confident that I will achieve an A* not an A at Russian, and with work I think German I could do pretty well too. GCSE's is another story... Guess I'll just have to wait for the email to come in from Cambridge! I'm doing an essay for my EPQ, but will also have to find some other way to demonstrate my essay skills. Any ideas? :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by Paralove
I'm at Cambridge, doing French and ab initio Spanish. I'm loving it (though not so much at present - my French oral exam is tomorrow!!), more so than I thought I ever would. I wouldn't be surprised if the general consensus is similar to the Durham response - Russian isn't offered at many places (certainly not in any of the schools I knew of where I'm from), and even though you might be fluent in speaking, this doesn't always translate into written communication.

Also, don't be put off by the comment about 'only' an A as above - I was not specified an A* in my language, which I had expected due to it being my only A-Level language, but friends doing two were asked for an A* in either of them. The thing with languages is that it is a LOT harder to get the top marks, even if you're really good. I know the marking of them is being looked at for A-Level.

Sounds great, good luck for your exam too! :wink: Yeah I agree, I may be able to speak well but my grammar... well it's better than that of a AS student doing Russian as a 'foreign' language, but still nothing like that of a native speaker and my mum often laughs at some mistakes I make in my writing :tongue:

Yeah I agree with languages and top marks too - impossible! Even native speakers don't get full marks I'm sure - simply because its easy to mishear something or go off the question in the essay at then end! I'm starting to think it's all just wishful thinking to go to Cambridge after my reply from the 'ask and admissions tutor' thread, but we'll see :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending