The Student Room Group

How long for a fast track? I'm 24 years old and I failed my GCSEs a long time ago.

Hello guys, I'm 24 years old and I failed my GCSEs a long time ago. I want to be able to get into now, but I don't have the requirements. My question is can I do a fast track on the GCSEs and A levels ? if so, how long would it take me to get into uni this way ? Thanks
Well GCSE's usually last a duration of two years for students 14-16. However, this will vary depending on the GCSE's you want to take. For example; if you take just the core subjects which are desired by employers (Maths, English), then you could self-teach yourself or hire a tutor, and then take the exam in a year, depending on how fast you absorb information.
Once again, A-Levels also last a duration of 2 years, but many colleges ask for a GCSE qualification on the subject you want to study at A-Level at usually a C grade, so you may need to take the GCSEs you're interested in.

Overall, it is most likely going to take you around 4 years for uni.
RodrigoB, do the universities accept a equivalent? If so, ask them if they accept them from equivalencytest.com. The university I have applied to accept it them in GCSEs, therefore if I'm successful at the interview stage and gain my equivalents I'm able to attend the university. Have a look at their website and see. All the best.
Also, I forgot to say, have a look at OU for courses. With a lot of the courses you don't need any qualifications, and if you complete first year you're able to join universities at either first or second year.
Original post by RodrigoB
Hello guys, I'm 24 years old and I failed my GCSEs a long time ago. I want to be able to get into now, but I don't have the requirements. My question is can I do a fast track on the GCSEs and A levels ? if so, how long would it take me to get into uni this way ? Thanks

If you have the aptitude, you could easily complete GCSE maths and English with free part time classes from your local adult learning service starting in September and taking exams in summer 2016. They would assess you and advise whether you can go straight to GCSE or would need to start at a more basic level (functional skills). It will be hard to complete a meaningful set of GCSE subjects because few places are geared up to provide this for post-19 learners. There may be part time GCSE courses you could attend, languages are often available as is psychology. They would not be free. You might be able to self study a few subjects with text books or buying a distance learning package and take igcse (e.g. Sciences). Without relevant GCSE it will be hard to find a college willing to take you on for A levels. I think your best bet would be an access course that would provide you with the necessary study skills and foundational knowledge needed for your chosen degree. I'd advise looking at what might be available now so that you can find out what other qualifications or experience they would look for to offer you a place in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest