The Student Room Group

How should I prepare for science (End of year exams)

Hello,

Im currently in year 9 and have upcoming end of year exams soon. Im gonna start earlier than my friends, since my current grade is a B and 50% of the end of year exam results will be used to decide sets next year, I need to get good results.

Anyway, for the past tests, I've gotten a B and mostly a C and due to these results, Im unconfident of my end of year exams and feel like I could get a C. I really want an A or A* and although in my past small exams I did revise, I always miss marks on basic stuff. Idk how I do it but I struggle to answer the questions which just require commons sense.

Please give me any advice on how you guys revise for science and revision tips. And some websites I can use to practise questions.

Thank you
Original post by FuryBall
Hello,

Im currently in year 9 and have upcoming end of year exams soon. Im gonna start earlier than my friends, since my current grade is a B and 50% of the end of year exam results will be used to decide sets next year, I need to get good results.

Anyway, for the past tests, I've gotten a B and mostly a C and due to these results, Im unconfident of my end of year exams and feel like I could get a C. I really want an A or A* and although in my past small exams I did revise, I always miss marks on basic stuff. Idk how I do it but I struggle to answer the questions which just require commons sense.

Please give me any advice on how you guys revise for science and revision tips. And some websites I can use to practise questions.

Thank you

Do not worry I am in year 10 and taking my real science exam in 3 weeks.
when I was In Year 9 everyone in my class got c's or below I always got c's in everything but now my whole class is getting a/A* everyone in my class is expected to get at least an A so I wouldn't worry if ur getting b/c's now u will definitely get at least an A in year 10 or even an A*
Hello,

Thank you

Best way to revise is completing past paper questions. Go through each question thoroughly and try and understand everything that is being asked. See if your school provides booklets that have mark schemes and exam questions - mine does as its a really effective revision tool.

Failing that, answer the questions in your textbooks and see if your teacher can mark your answers.
Reply 3
Original post by Jessicamessica
Do not worry I am in year 10 and taking my real science exam in 3 weeks.
when I was In Year 9 everyone in my class got c's or below I always got c's in everything but now my whole class is getting a/A* everyone in my class is expected to get at least an A so I wouldn't worry if ur getting b/c's now u will definitely get at least an A in year 10 or even an A*

Well my sets next year will be chosen based on my results so regardless of what I get in the future, shouldn't I be in a high set learning new and high-level things?
Well my sets next year will be chosen based on my results so regardless of what I get in the future, shouldn't I be in a high set learning new and high-level things?

i don't know but I was put in top double science set and I got a c at my end of year nine exam
Reply 5
Hello,

Thank you

Best tip I have for a year 9 student, make your notes as you learn the syllabus so when you get to my poxitio the in year 11, its just like memorising it really well and practising lots of questions!

But good luck! You seem like a really hard working person - wish I was like you in year 9 haha :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TheStudent18
Best way to revise is completing past paper questions. Go through each question thoroughly and try and understand everything that is being asked. See if your school provides booklets that have mark schemes and exam questions - mine does as its a really effective revision tool.

Failing that, answer the questions in your textbooks and see if your teacher can mark your answers.

I'll definitely try asking my teacher for my past exams. Im not sure if they have a booklet though.
Reply 7
Original post by tibz101
Best tip I have for a year 9 student, make your notes as you learn the syllabus so when you get to my poxitio the in year 11, its just like memorising it really well and practising lots of questions!

But good luck! You seem like a really hard working person - wish I was like you in year 9 haha :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:

I already have a small of collection on some topics so I'll definitely continue to do that and research some at home.
Okay so I'm going to tell you everything I wish someone told me:
Make flash cards early on - every single unit not just one, with every single topic not just the ones you find hard
Get some highlighters and go all Picasso on your science books
Please tell me you have a revision guide? CGP ones are really good but Collins have a test in the back
Do a past paper once a week whilst you're revising
Make posters on the areas you find hardest in the past papers
Pay attention, the likelihood is your teacher is telling you something extremely important and you're not listening
Most importantly? GOOD LUCK! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending